No Crane No Problem. Redneckin' it in Shoreline!!

rbtree

Climbing Up
Dang, Our 3rd windstorm in less than 3 weeks....

Now maybe if it had been a Ford 4x4, it could have been driven off to the mill with the log...Ya think??

View on YT, HD and full screen

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GFEZjeql_B4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got this response on another forum:

I wonder if he knows he's holding the saw wrong - left handed instead right. He's right over top of the bar.

To which I replied:

"Yawn. That would be me, buzz.... and I've been an arborist for over 40 years. I think I know how to run a saw..... but the video production guy in me said he wanted to see more of my pretty face.

I did edit out the parts where my plunge cuts went all wrong and the saw went over my shoulder, barely missing my helmeted noggin. I let you guess how many times I had to retrieve it from the forested floor behind me..."

Butch, that was on AS.... I fell asleep last nite before I could post the video over here... Go over there and ream me a new arseho.. would ya? :cry:

I'm leery of the it's a-ok because I'm a pro attitude. I worked with a guy who insisted on cutting left handed he had the scars and the laced cutting pants to prove it too. We've had threads on that here though and about beat that dead horse to a pulp I think. I'm a switch hitter but there's got to be a reason for it, and I'm left handed to boot.

Cool vid though and quite the squished truck!

RB, how much you want for that Toyota? i got cash...lol

liked watching log sliding on yoda :thumbup:

How much did ya have to pay for that audience in the vid?

About eight dollars. I got a flat from a sharp rock in the gravel driveway.... Too fast of a leak to drive it to the Les Schwab. $108 service call, I'd been paid $100 for the job... not even a mile from my house. Great people.... tenant lives in a way cool cabin..that's his totalled Toy....Owners got the 2.5 acre place from the original owners for a deep discount, because they promised to never log it and build on it. It's fully wooded, 96% 90 year old Doug-fir, 110-140 footers. They're musicians, and are going to hire me to photograph them playing a benefit. She had a gorgeous upright bass... but narrow for ease of travel, and another, that was made of metal as opposed to wood. Painted jet black. The tenant, with the plaid jacket had blocked the video view for a good minute...he's awesome, does some gold mining on a claim..I'm going to head up there with him this summer when it's accessible.... its near the gorgeous and wild North Fork of the Skykomish River.

I'm leery of the it's a-ok because I'm a pro attitude. I worked with a guy who insisted on cutting left handed he had the scars and the laced cutting pants to prove it too. We've had threads on that here though and about beat that dead horse to a pulp I think. I'm a switch hitter but there's got to be a reason for it, and I'm left handed to boot.

Cool vid though and quite the squished truck!
I was also afraid to cut properly as being squared up and all woulda made my butt look huge, like it has gotten......... :lol:

Your butt looking too big would have blown the whole deal. Good to see that you've got your priorities right, Roger! Forty years teaches a thing or two.

Was the strap you left on the top the only thing holding everything out of the dirt? Seemed like after that first cut everything would have fallen off the crushed yota and down to the ground. Also what saw were you using?

Just being curious :)

Was the strap you left on the top the only thing holding everything out of the dirt? Seemed like after that first cut everything would have fallen off the crushed yota and down to the ground. Also what saw were you using?

Just being curious :)
Yup. It was a breeze to bore cut each one.... no need to break out the cant hook. or bend over as far...... and the angle of the cuts was part of the reason why I switched hands.... it was comfy....

That was a dullish 372/375, stock, save for a dual ported muffler.

Finally, my only job from the latest storm involving trees on house..... Lady quit dragging her feet simce Monday Am, and called this am..I'm headed over shortly to prep it, get cameras ready, then Pat and his crew shows up in about 3 hours. Should be easy, just have to fine tune some details with a method I've never done, which I'll document and post...... I have sold several leaners and a couple partly broken tree jobs.....

I don't expect we'll have any problems. A crane would be nice, but the driveway is too steep, and to picl from the street would have required a min 50 ton crane.

IMG_0049e.jpg

Two small hemlock uprooted and fell onto my client's Shoreline home, taking the top half of a stone dead hemlock with them. The driveway was too steep for a crane, and I figured out a method to get them removed with no further damage.

First I set a line at a mere 15-18 feet in the dead hemlock and did a pull test--which revealed my fears that it could be pulled over with a bit of effort, so we weren't able to use it as a means of back supporting each of the fallen trees. I did set a line in a live hemlock, which , was 15 feet off to the side, so not the best angle. I tied it to the smaller of the two live failed trees, and then to the other one, as a means of somewhat balancing the support. The other tree would be cut after the smaller one. We also used some smaller sections from the fallen dead tree as props. Then, we tied the one to be cut on either side of where the cut would be made, which was about eight feet from the roof. We used simple wraps as a means of allowing some movement when the tree was cut. All went well, though I believe we could have done a better job of securing the tree pr ior to the cut which would allow the top to lay down onto the roof. A false crotch and friction device would have been better to limit the movement, but it all went well, not even close to doing any damage when the tops came down totally onto the roof.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hJL68twL0aM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The camera is set up on top of a much larger western white pine trunk (see the close up of the roots) which fell onto their chain link fence, and 30 feet further away it was still ~14-16" diameter where it impacted the freeway privacy wall. I don't think the wall is that close to the traffic lanes, but......

I had also been called to look at three trees on a house a mere three doors down. A 100 foot western white pine fell from the yard of the person who called me onto the neighbor's house and carport. It took two smaller hemlock with it. That homeowner had called a different tree service, who got all three trees on the ground, with a crane assist, cleaned up and hauled the wood, all that Monday. I'd told my potential client a mere $800 to do her side... but I did bid $2000 for each party for the two tall white pines that were in each of their yards.

Wow, there's some riff raff on Arb Site..... of course I've known that for a long time. It's not fun like it used to be.

Back