Hidden Radios in Home Devices

gf beranek

Old Schooler
It's technical, and it's lengthy, but this smart fellow spills the beans on how High-tech is watching our every move.

Well worth listening to all the way to the end.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/embed/-tIK3Fk-bLA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I find it inexcusable that they would go to the trouble to spy on honest folks....while they won't bother to do anything about criminals that they are aware of.

Last edited:
IOT is a sham. Even assuming best intentions of the manufacturers, your device that costs tens of dollars has about as much chance of getting firmware updates for security as I do of sprouting wings. It's a huge security risk that provides trivial convenience, and most features could be done yourself using your own software/hardware. My house is completely dumb, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

That video was pretty legit. The framing was a little eyerolling, but not incorrect. Yea, it's got radios, and yea, they're hidden, but that's how it works. All those gadgets and gizmos have to communicate to work, and they do that via radio. There really isn't any other way to do it aside from hardwiring everything.

That video was pretty legit. The framing was a little eyerolling, but not incorrect. Yea, it's got radios, and yea, they're hidden, but that's how it works. All those gadgets and gizmos have to communicate to work, and they do that via radio. There really isn't any other way to do it aside from hardwiring everything.
There is another alternative: PLC (Power Line Carrier). No radio and the wires are already in the house. Another techno is LiFi which basically uses modulation of LED's (visible or IR). This techno has at least the interest of being easily 'containable' in a room.

If you were concerned about an Alexa or similar I'd get it and be on board. Those devices are designed to constantly listen, interpret and phone home about it. Never have one in my house. I dislike the desktop voice activated assistants in modern OS's as well.

I like to limit "them" to ip traffic capture and keystrokes.

Back