nexus card

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 32
  • Views 3K
F

Frans

Anyone get on of these? I guess it is sort of a mini-passport good only for north american travel

Wife has enhanced drivers license.

Just had to make an appointment with DMV has a color strip on it and has to be kept in a foil cover.

I just did a job for a Canadian who owns property here in WA. He got the Nexus hoping that it would save him time at the border (apparently there is a special lane for Nexus card holders?). He told me this nightmare story about 3 US soldiers who pulled him out of his car and made him lie face down on the ground (in the mud) while holding an M16 barrell to his head while they searched his car for drugs. When they didn't find any he had reassemble his car - they actually removed the seats! It probably had nothing to do with the Nexus pass, but I'd be nervous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry ED, I don't understand your confusion.

North America is a vast land mass which includes mexico, the U.S. & Canada

Yup, Ed North America Continent is made up of 22 or 23 countries.
Canada,US & Mexico, all of Central America & Caribbeans.

That is if I understood what you wondering about.

:what: Oops, I've befuddled myself. :|:

from Wikipedia: "Only citizens and permanent residents of Canada or the United States are eligible for the NEXUS program. Applicants must have lived in one of these countries continuously for the last three years. Authorities check applicants' documentation, run background checks, and take fingerprints, photographs, and digital iris photographs. Applicants must pay a fee, which is waived for applicants under 18 years of age. Applicants who pass these checks are issued a NEXUS card, which is valid for five years."

Background check for a Nexus card? Ha.

All the more reason to just get a friggin' passport.

no nexus card for me, too many people say it isnt much faster at the border and yes their is a special lane that they can supposedly just drive through. the gun to the head thing is a mite extreme but I have also heard tell of people being pulled out of the line for being suspicious, having the vehicle taken apart and they are left to put stuff back together themselves.

Currently you can travel from us to canada without a passport just with proof of residence I think. That is ending late this year or next year. For air travel you must have a valid passport or you wont be allowed on the plane.
I have a canadian and a dutch passport so I am good to go on two continents at the least. :)

Yup, Ed North America Continent is made up of 22 or 23 countries.
Canada,US & Mexico, all of Central America & Caribbeans.

That is if I understood what you wondering about.

That 'splains it. I did'nt realise it meant the north american continent.

Still reckon your aswell getting a proper grown up passport.

But Ed, how would you know enough about it to voice an opinion? :?

Because I have a passport with enough stamps to start a collection?
Because I've travelled in and out of the US and most of the way round the world?
Because europe is bigger than the US and has lots more countries, but a passport works well enough here?

For me, the nexus card sounds like a provisional driving license...

Back