New Use for Old saw Chain?

RopeArmour

TreeHouser
At it again, what do you think?
Put em on backwards and turn your saw into a digger to clear the debris away for the stump cut!
I have done it plenty of times and the only issue I see the grit wearing things a bit more quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Its not as bad on the parts as you might think.
Centrifugal force keeps most of the debris from the pwer house
so if you got an old bar and chain and willing to sacrifice a sprocket you can really
carve out the dirt and rock from well into the sinus of the root flares.
Carve a bit and backpack blow some and carve a bit more and backpack blow some more
and your stump cut is smooth and easy.

Btw I think your chainsaw would be happy to be in my hands, hands of a real man:lol:

Last edited:
There was, at one time, maybe still, saw chain meant expressly for digging, trenching.

When working for the phone company some home owners I brought service too dug their own trenches with such chain for the drops. When I first seen it I was amazed. That chain saved them having to hire a contractor to come in with a Ditch-Witch to do the same thing. Of course the ditching chain wore out bars and sprockets fast, but in regular soil it could dig a thousand of feet of trench 20 inches deep no problem. And even with a worn out bar it worked excellent. By far beating the cost of hiring a contractor to do the same.

No fooling

After a few HOPCITY Brewing Cos Barking Squirrel there isn't much I'm afraid of
cept
maybe those size 13 Boots Nick sporting in his Avatar looks like a helluva a reach.

There was, at one time, maybe still, saw chain meant expressly for digging, trenching.

When working for the phone company some home owners I brought service too dug their own trenches with such chain for the drops. When I first seen it I was amazed. That chain saved them having to hire a contractor to come in with a Ditch-Witch to do the same thing. Of course the ditching chain wore out bars and sprockets fast, but in regular soil it could dig a thousand of feet of trench 20 inches deep no problem. And even with a worn out bar it worked excellent. By far beating the cost of hiring a contractor to do the same.

No fooling

Ain't that the way! What was once old is new again. Hard to be original.
I stumbled on this digging out stumps and dulling chain and being so PO'd
and just pushing it through the dirt and roots to finally see that it was fairing well as
a digger and figured to the chain backwards to get more bite bypassing the rakers.

WATCH OUT FOR THE KICKBACK, it'll take your head off, use solid footing and be sure the
top quadrant of the nose is good and buried into the dirt or root flare.
Should save some of us a lot of wear on your stumper teeth and good bars and chains.
Cheers

It's been shown that you can use an average kitchen spoon to break out of a maximum security prison, but isn't there something that could be more efficient for your purposes other than a saw? You have mentioned damaging parts and somewhat dangerous. Not being critical, just wondering.

No fooling

Whats old is new again, hard to be an original.

I don't own a stump grinder and have gotten pretty good of ripping them out of the ground.
That is how I stumbled upon the digger aspect.

Watch out for the KICKBACK it will take your head off. Solid footing and be sure to bury the tip and
avoid the top quadrant of nose.
Cheers

Just making use of the tools at hand.
Tried the SawsAll, blades break and at few bucks a piece and another
tool to cart around not much savings.
IF they built a task specific tool I might buy one.
Many times we need only to cut a few of the root flares to get it to
tip over but that is another story, Root Flare Cut felling techniques sans notch or backcut that is.

No fooling

If I had to guess that chain does not exist anymore.

I've put my bandsaw blade on backwards a few times by mistake. There is no use for it other than adding points to idiot. A table saw blade...Jesus, hate to think. Would it yank the wood in and where would your hand be? :\:

Just making use of the tools at hand.
Tried the SawsAll, blades break and at few bucks a piece and another
tool to cart around not much savings.
IF they built a task specific tool I might buy one.
Many times we need only to cut a few of the root flares to get it to
tip over but that is another story, Root Flare Cut felling techniques sans notch or backcut that is.

I can't believe you'd run your saws in the dirt. To each their own. I use the tools for the jobs they're meant for. I tell the customer in the bid that they can pay for stumpgrinding if they want the stump gone. You've got some interesting ideas on this line of work but at least a couple of them seem right off the wall to me.

Stay safe brother.

I've put my bandsaw blade on backwards a few times by mistake. There is no use for it other than adding points to idiot. A table saw blade...Jesus, hate to think. Would it yank the wood in and where would your hand be? :\:

Actually putting a carbide blade on backwards is a good way to cut aluminum. Noisy as all get out, but slices through it!

Wow! Different than wood I guess, Andy. With wood, if you like push part way through the cut and then decide that you want to pull it back with the blade rotation, it can be extremely dangerous, particularly a deep cut. Woe to anyone that might have a hand on the wood on the other side of the blade.

No fooling

Thats a different thing. Just like a ditch witch is for digging if you have a saw relegated to this task it sounds like it might be effective with specialized chain.

I can't believe you'd run your saws in the dirt. To each their own. I use the tools for the jobs they're meant for. I tell the customer in the bid that they can pay for stumpgrinding if they want the stump gone. You've got some interesting ideas on this line of work but at least a couple of them seem right off the wall to me.

Stay safe brother.

Right! Dont run my saw in the dirt, thanks! I would let Justin borrow my saw no questions asked. Thomas? No way no how!

I've only cut thin material on the table saw, but we did use a hand saw to cut down a 3" thick x 48" wide slab once. As I said, it was noisy! One person running the saw and the other spraying coolant on the blade.

Aren't the drivers backwards in the sprocket and therefore causing major wear and/or other problems.

Why not just use normal, dulled chain to do the job?

Back