New Use for Old saw Chain?

At Van Peer Boat Works I cut 3/4 inch aluminum with circular carbide blades on occasion, and thinner gauges regularly, but never with the blades on backwards. Our circular carbide blades for aluminum were specialized. Every other tooth was narrow to relieve the curf for the following wider tooth. spraying coolant along the way. WD 40 worked fine. Before getting the plasma machines we cut stainless steel sheet, up to 10 gauge, with a plywood blades put on backwards. It was friction cutting and miserable on the ears.

Once Chris Van Peer procured his shears and breaks, with capacities up to 12 foot by 3/8's thickness, the misery of cutting with the saw was over. Thank, God.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Centrifugal force rejects the majority of the debris so its no biggie imo
Even if I had a big adze stump grinder i would still bury it in the dirt.
Probabley half as much debris produced/dirt and the like mixed with wood grindings
thats just my experience so far.
Considering the work we do we are all off the wall that is what makes this place so interesting. Everyones take on things adds to the collective knowledge and that is what improves us all in the end.
Stay safe brothers

Btw its takes a bit more mustard to dig in the frozen ground it works
but gets muddy before it start to dig.
If I get a chance when the ground really freezes I let you all know how it goes.

Yeah, but don't the reversed rakers act a bit as diggers too? If you grind them down it seems like you might quickly be making mince meat of the cutters.

Cutters are well rounded and the rakers seems to me to prevent penetration.
That is how I got to put the chain on backwards, to take a bigger bite.
I think the next one I do if the stump is large and warrants it I will
use the angle grinder to square the edge.

.....not picking on anyone or anything, but....I see much work to be done above grade with a saw. Would make grind less tedious and more productive

Precisely. get the debris out of the way quickly, effeciently and with control
a chainsaw does this in a way that is also fairly inexpensive. No compressor for the air spade and minor addition to the process/change over from an expendable bar and chain.
In the vid you will see me shaving right next to the concrete with impregnated gravel.
Your stumper is designed to to rip up wood so this is the reason to apply the technique not cutting away stones and dirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZskz53PNB4&feature=youtu.be

Geez come to think of it I have had my share of windthrow that
could have used this technique as well. Skip the pwr washer and
the sore shoulder and elbows from swinging an axe and twisting
the pry bar.
am I as dumb as I look:stooges: i'm in the middle

Using a chain saw to try and cut up roots and what not is a fools errand in my hills.. You ain't gonna cut granite with an old chain or probably carbide for that matter in any time efficient matter.
Stumps full of rocks is what we have here as I am sure it is in most mountainous areas.

So what do you guys do with old chains? Mine are sitting in a box on the self and I am saving them for what? I have absolutely no idea.

Find a forge for a decent price and start making knives out of them. I tried, but I don't have a forge and Hedge just wont get quite hot enough to d:lol:o the job!

Back