New Use for Old saw Chain?

I can't believe you'd run your saws in the dirt. To each their own. I use the tools for the jobs they're meant for. I tell the customer in the bid that they can pay for stumpgrinding if they want the stump gone. You've got some interesting ideas on this line of work but at least a couple of them seem right off the wall to me.

Stay safe brother.

Thinking the same here.

That is one long and boring looking grind.

Yes I reckon. The pic is from a thread on the Alpine Magnum, atw's job.

He's prolly just grinding off the dirty bark around the edges so he can take another slab off with a big saw without trashing the chain on dirt.

That's what he did.

No granite around these hills mainly sandstone and ironstone, but chains don't like that stuff either.

Wow, Brian's ghost!

I would say that if you are going to be cutting down in the roots, removing the dirt around them would definitely be an aid. If it works with some kind of backwards or upside down or sideways chain, and you have a dedicated saw for it and it survives the application, I don't see it as a bad idea. Emphasis on, "If it works".

Stumps growing out of piles of old bricks and stone - No Problem for the Sandvik teeth -
(we did 600 or so of these on this job)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MoErN9sLneQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Otherwise, do this

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9QsEHg1mufw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bottom line... If you don't have the tools to do the job properly, hire someone who does. Lets face it, tree guys are always complaining bitterly when they see someone trying to take a tree down without the correct equipment....

Being sad enough to enjoy stump grinding videos (as I am!) a question; is the operator supposed to be in front of the wheel and so close?
As a guy who stands alongside pulling levers I am always telling clients to move away from that area.

It's his machine, his insurance. I couldn't care less where he stands.

I used to operate my 3680 Beast recycler stood on top of the infeed. That way I could watch out for lumps of concrete etc.

...my old chains are complete shit or damaged at the point of discard (flat racing rakes and generally will run till I break off multiple teeth on one side)...Bars and files too ...all in a bucket. If I pour any Concrete in they go, adds tensile strentgh. If no crete...scrap man gets the bucket

Yes I reckon. The pic is from a thread on the Alpine Magnum, atw's job.

That's what he did.

No granite around these hills mainly sandstone and ironstone, but chains don't like that stuff either.

That is what we did. We went around the whole stump, then made more cuts to lower the stump some more and then finished it out with the Alpine. I no longer use that machine anymore though. Doesn't handle the rocks very well

At Van Peer Boat Works I cut 3/4 inch aluminum with circular carbide blades on occasion, and thinner gauges regularly, but never with the blades on backwards. Our circular carbide blades for aluminum were specialized. Every other tooth was narrow to relieve the curf for the following wider tooth. spraying coolant along the way. WD 40 worked fine.
Another old trick is to use plain old lard as a lube ,put it on with a brush .I used to see the tin knockers do it all the time .

Stuff like aluminum barn roofing a regular old plywood blade eats right through it .Wear a face shield or at least a set of goggles .

A thought occured to me as a use for old chain .Now this might sound far fetched but 'tis true .

Some of these blacksmith type sword and knife makers heat up old chains and forge them into folded blade knifes -swords ,Damacus style .The steel alloy mix I guess when folded is almost as good as it gets for making a tough blade .

That is pretty intriguing, Al. I actually need a good swordsmith...I went to a local annual smelting event a few weeks ago and watched them melt scrap steel and pour liquid (red hot lava looking stuff) metal into molds. One of the fellows I met is a bladesmith. A Damascus style blade would be wonderful to have...I'll see what he knows about melting down old chains. Thanks for the hint of an idea...I'll see where Google might take me with that idea, too.

I do have some very good custom made throwing knives from the 80's that a NC knifemaker made for me. They were made from old chainsaw bars. He collected the old style solid bars (not laminated like now) and made knives from them.

It's not remelted but rather forge welded .It essence what is done is the metal is heated to about white heat and hammered .The hammer blows raises the metal about 400 degrees above the heat which basically welds the metal and drives the impurities out in the form of slag.

Back