New Tribe Traveling ONYX

on my way up to SF bright and early to deliver to Deva. i was impressed with the saddle. the construction and materials were all well considered. a couple of things that did bother me. the leg buckles, the non adjusting side of the buckle is sewn in a way that puts it several inches from the edge of the leg pad. that means that it rubbed uncomfortably on my leg and limited the movement of the webbing through the shackle or rig plate. i would prefer to see the buckle sewn on top of the leg pad or built with some kind of padding under it. the second also has to do with padding. because the construction of the belt is so flexible, there is nothing keeping the dee rings from digging into the hips when your weight is in your lanyard in any position but right in front of you. again, some padding or re-enforcing with a more rigid material would solve this. like a few others i also have noassatall, and i most definitely need suspenders on ANY saddle i wear with a saw. it would be nice to see a y style suspender offered as an extra for the saddle. overall i give it an 8.5 out of 10. well done. if my handmade custom saddle ever wears out, this one will be at the top of my wish list;).

I've got the Onyx. I'll bring it too work tomorrow and give it whirls.
(sorry, tough on my smart phone)
Here's a Euc, Jaime climbed. He let me come up the rope he set.
A real treat to see some awesome SRT.

Paul, I need to order a Shuttle.

Attachments

• IMAG2051.jpg
    IMAG2051.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG2035-1.jpg
    IMAG2035-1.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
So I got my fancy fully personalized Onyx today. I LOVE it!

I learned one thing- in previous harnesses, I am the lone wolf asking for more colors. Most climbers want blacks and earth tones. So... here's what I got!

Photo Aug 24, 10 15 59 AM.jpg

I love it.

There are a few upgrades I wanna show you guys. One isn't something I need. It's the carabiner snap on the side.

Photo Aug 26, 9 30 58 AM.jpg

I personally prefer a carabiner in that slot. But through this thread, New Tribe could see that the jury is divided.

So the snap is removable.

Photo Aug 26, 9 31 22 AM.jpg

You think it'd work? I'll try it out a bit before putting in my normal non-locking biner there.

The other thing some of y'all may be interested in:

Photo Aug 26, 9 32 42 AM.jpg

MORE CUSHION!

Again- personally I wasn't bothered by the thinner leg pads. It fits more inline with my desire for sleek design. Casey came up with this idea for a modular cushion that you could add on...

Photo Aug 26, 9 32 50 AM.jpg

It just velcros in place. I'll let you know how it climbs. I can't see how it'd be a prob.

So this harness wont get to climb until later this week. I am waiting for some orange DMM rigging plates from Luke to finish it up.

Just wanted to brag on my new harness!!

love
nick

yes, it is a very large nest (room for two of us to stand in). unoccupied luckily. Nick, that looks really nice. i didnt have a problem with the padding on the legs either, but it couldn't hurt. do you think they will be offering it with the dmm plates?

Awesome colors, Nick.

Haven't used the saddle yet but plan to soon.

Last night I ordered a hitch hiker, basic and some pantins.
Might be dabbling in some.srt. couldn't believe how fast the rope walker was.

Thanks again, Jaime.

Attachments

• IMAG2039-1.jpg
    IMAG2039-1.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG2038.jpg
    IMAG2038.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 46
...do you think they will be offering it with the dmm plates?
Nope- they have a kit on their website that includes the black (keeping with the onyx theme) SMC plates that are on the traveling Onyx harnesses. The DMM plates are significantly smaller and I think most people would be annoyed by them. Since I use the DMM oval biners primarily, I know it won't be a problem.

Nick, looks good all around be sure to say how the extra leg pads are working out when you do get to use it.

Of course! I have a feeling I'll climb with it for a little bit, then take the pads off and go back to normal...maybe putting them on when I'm doing some tedious cable jobs perhaps.

Good choice in colors, Nick! It all looks good! :thumbup:

I LOVE how it came out. I think it looks awesome!

You were able to pick out those colors?

I wanted to spice up the color for my personal harness. This isn't going to be an option available to everyone. I asked casey about it and I knew that they made a few rope bags and things that are that orange color, so it was easy for him to incorporate that color into the harness.

It's pretty to look at. Just can't wait to climb on it!

What rope should I make the bridge out of? I'm thinking the Yale Imori black and orange....

love
nick

Hi everybody...

Tried the saddle a few times, wasn't totally stoked.
I may not have had it cinched up enough, but does hang down a bit with saw.
Hanging in it, was comfy enough, at one point I felt the straps kinda went up my rear, wedgie effect.
all that for $500, Just wasn't for me.

I love NT, I wear one daily jumping between the tengu and proclimber.... Love those two.

Rad stuff.

So who gets it next???? My buddy is wearing it this weekend on some oak pruning jobs.
Monday, I'd like to ship it out.

Back