New Tribe Traveling ONYX

I did many takes of that vid. It was hard to show it clearly when everything is all black. Darn that Onyx design!

I think you can see what needs to be done, though.

If I redid the video, I might use blue masking tape to mark certain areas. Then you could identify things more clearly- mark 1, mark 2, etc...

I converted my dragonfly to a rope bridge by just tying stopper knots behind the shackles. It seems like those shackles on the onyx look to be around the same size. I have no worries the fishermans will slip through the shackle.

The shackles on NT saddles are much larger than other shackles on other saddles. I would say they are at least 2 times larger than the shackles on the TreeFlex. From what I remember, the TF and the Butterfly had similar sized shackles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

So Darin (Oldmonkey) tried to fit into the SM saddle... but more of a just feel it kind of thing, while he and Haley were here. Of course he would have to have the next size up to really give it a rating.
Tonight, I made a couple of webbing suspender straps to really give the saddle a fair shake in a pine and oak tomorrow. See how it fares with a saw hanging off it. Also added a caritool for the saw. This might help with the location. After tomorrow, I will pack it up and ship it off to Jaime.
I will pack the suspender straps (adjustable) with the saddle for everyone to use.

They are great Justin. We all had a great time. Kids had a blast. Just sat around and yakked mostly. Always nice to talk to another tree guy and a friend to boot. Haley is growing so fast. Her and Lilly hit it off. I don't think Lilly wanted her to leave :) Haley liked playing with the critters as well. Dunno if she got to milk a goat or not... But hey.. kids and critters....

OK... back on subject.

Took it down to one strap like New Tribe sells.
SRT great... Wraptor .. .Great... Ddrt.. Great...
Never got to use the rope bridge though.. No matter, I figure I would have it dialed in in no time any ways.

So... Single strap did help.. I did manage to find an old weed eater pad to put on the strap.. Two straps just don't work on this unit, but I would suggest that New tribe get on the band wagon.. Two straps over the shoulders. One strap gets old and hurts through the day with weight on it.
Saddle needs a butt or two shoulders under strap.. Period.
I added a small caritool for the 200t. It worked peachy. Puts the saw right where I want it. Paddle biner would as well. Still stumped on the ditty bag.. would have to stare at the saddle attachments more.. :lol:
As far as performance... I started with a pondo dead wood over the roof....
Up the tree to 65 feet and took out the limbs.. comfortable to hang in on a single stem.
I swung over to a section of canyon live oak and worked that.. nice.
Body thrusted up the central on the oak and took some limb walks.. Sweet.
Flip line on the forward facing Ds.. Nice. Not too small and always sit forward waiting for the clip.
Still think a larger ring on the web bridge would work better for centre attachment.
It is a nice piece of kit that feels like it needs to be in the tree.
I would use it for pruning probably (if I had a bubble butt), but not a spar on a removal. Heavier saw would suck with a 1/2 life with out hips.
I would by this saddle if it had a good suspender set up over two shoulders.

I am shipping the saddle day after tomorrow to Jamie. I have to get a new box. Our postal people went postal on it. It is done... or I need a large new roll of tape :lol:
I will include the strap I made for the saddle, but the caritool I am keeping here to play with on my Cougar. :)

Jaime should have a box by now.. But I bet he went outside and played with it toot sweet.

I left the caritool with the saddle and sent it along. Seemed the best way to dial in the saw attachment point.

picked up the saddle yesterday afternoon. have only had a brief chance to hang in it, no adjustments. first impression is that it is very well made and very comfortable. those shackles are huge! just looking at the rigging plates that come with the rope bridge, they seem very large as well. i really like the dmm bat plates i have on my saddle, but only testing will tell. im going to get a chance to really climb on it later today.

Jamie, I made that strap pretty adjustable. It can easily be removed as well. I just used the existing buckle on the back. Can be switched to the other side as well. Sorry the pad was so dirty. . Probably has like 200 hours of use on it :lol:

Yes! My only real complaint is the that the legstraps could have better padding. I LOVE the way the side dees are always in position and the buckles are outstanding. It came with the rope bridge, but I'd probably switch it over to the webbing just cause I don't care much for rope bridges. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it an 8.75.

Who wants it next? Heads up - Nick and I think it's best to only include members who have been here at least one year.

Remember... I have the large model.

Back