Natural Crotch Rigging Rope

3/4" three strand? Ewwwww, no bueno dude. What in the world are you rigging down natural crotch that you'd need 3/4" for? Once you get into that capacity, in my mind, it seems like it'd be better to set blocks or rings.

I've been using Sampson stable braid 3/4 at work. I've glazed it up pretty good but have yet to break it. Runs decent in the porty. I get less than a year out of it though so it might not be a good choice.

Can't beat old 3 strand for natural crotch rigging if your in a pinch for time to get to the next job., 5/8" what I have on hand.

It's hard to beat Samson's Pro Master for natural crotch rigging. Works well with a porty. Holds knots well. Easy to tie.....though a bit stiff when brand new out of the bag.

Run it through a few crotches and around the porty under load....break it in good. A very good and durable rope. Love the stuff. Nothing better for natural crotch rigging than 3-strand.

Joel

The hockling of 3 strand drove me nuts. Braided is so ubiquitous and more or less cheap, its all I use. I have old 3 strand for beating on pulling a stuck truck or something, rarely use it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking three strand for a tip tie and lower tree to ground.

or

pulling over a tree or stob.

I wouldn't use any line over 1/2" for natural crotch rigging...unless it was three strand, which was all I used till about 1990.

My favorite is True Blue...it wears well in natural crotch use, has a nice soft hand, unlike the cheap ArborPlex, and has 40% higher tensile.

I think the BEST choice is a 12 strand rope. My preference is (get ready for a shocker) Yale's Buzzline. It's just a 12 strand polyester. Similar to Samson's TrueBlue...but it's orange.

Thicker strands are better at handling abuse and abrasion. This is a big part of why 3 strand is so good. Thinner strands melt better. You should avoid double braid ropes (Double Esterlon, Stable Braid, etc). Thin outer strands get beat up and melt/glaze to easily.

I like 16 strand half inch climbing lines. Easy in the hand, runs well on a porty & seems to take the punishment ok. I currently use xtc speermint, but usually get whatever is on sale.
They are a disposable item IMO & I'd not want to spend a lot of money on it

I like 3 strand, Yale bull rigger 12, and older Stable braid just before retirement. Oh and old climb lines too.

I use Arborplex almost daily. 1/2" for most stuff, generally limiting to 500# stuff, and 5/8" for anything up to 1000#, maybe a bit more. I usually do the rigging from up to, so the ground man doesn't have to lower and maneuver the piece.

Double braid here, all locally purchased, errr , traded, I do splicing for a rope retailer, I wish he had solid 12 strand. 3 strand is dedicated to the maasdam, though I wanna upgrade it to 12 strand.

Samson 16 strand seems to hold up pretty well. Much less hockling than 3 strand, and less bouncy than a 12 strand like Buzz.

Back