Name that dog!

Like you'd say: the Thai in " Thai stick" then put a long s on the end. That sibilant S makes it an easy name for the dog to hear.
I usually have 2-3 dogs at the time, and it is important that the names are different enough in sound that they can't confuse the dogs.

All mine were/are named after other dogs I've met and liked.
Sam was a cowdog I worked with in Idaho.
Jack was a cowdog belonging to a girlfriend in california.
Lev belonged to my first wife, but VERY quickly became my dog ( Named after Leo Trotsky, if you can belive that. Her first husband was a real commie)
Thais was named after a really nice Schnauzer mix, belonging to my hippie neighbour in California.
That dog was called " Thai" after Thai stick, a woman here put the S on and it stuck.

I've had 2 Levs, 2 Jacks, and am currently on the second Sam and the third Thais.
My dogs don't usually get very old. They get worn out from running in the woods, and when they get to the point of not enjoying life anymore, I put them down.
Hope someone will do the same for me.

Willie, I whistle long distance commands.
I have a whistle that means they can jump out of the truck, one for "come to me" and one for " Stop and lay down flat"

For close up commands, I use words.

But the names are important if you want to single out a dog.
Anybody ( If they put some effort into it) can run a bunch of dogs as a pack, eveybody doing the same thing.
Calling one out for a task, while the others stay put, is way harder.

I always though August Hunicke was "hunick" not "Hunicky" and Gerry Beranek was "Berraneck" not "Behrahneck" Till I heard them on here.
Mind you August called me "la Because" so it cuts both ways.

Difference is, them's real names, not some French cock up about wood.

Are you related to Jack BTW?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like you'd say: the Thai in " Thai stick" then put a long s on the end. That sibilant S makes it an easy name for the dog to hear.
I usually have 2-3 dogs at the time, and it is important that the names are different enough in sound that they can't confuse the dogs.

All mine were/are named after other dogs I've met and liked.
Sam was a cowdog I worked with in Idaho.
Jack was a cowdog belonging to a girlfriend in california.
Lev belonged to my first wife, but VERY quickly became my dog ( Named after Leo Trotsky, if you can belive that. Her first husband was a real commie)
Thais was named after a really nice Schnauzer mix, belonging to my hippie neighbour in California.
That dog was called " Thai" after Thai stick, a woman here put the S on and it stuck.

I've had 2 Levs, 2 Jacks, and am currently on the second Sam and the third Thais.
My dogs don't usually get very old. They get worn out from running in the woods, and when they get to the point of not enjoying life anymore, I put them down.
Hope someone will do the same for me.

Willie, I whistle long distance commands.
I have a whistle that means they can jump out of the truck, one for "come to me" and one for " Stop and lay down flat"

For close up commands, I use words.

But the names are important if you want to single out a dog.
Anybody ( If they put some effort into it) can run a bunch of dogs as a pack, eveybody doing the same thing.
Calling one out for a task, while the others stay put, is way harder.

No doubt, impressive.

Meet Smoke, the arbor dog!
f983f48efef81eab717fe779a1902777.jpg

That, Willie, is about the best Stihl foto, I've seen.
Send it to them and suggest they exchange those cheap women in their calenders for dogs.

Haha, I've never had one of their calendars. Thanks, had to throw some wet stuff on the fire to get it to smoke!

Went back and forth with Timber and Smoke. Smoke just seemed more fitting with her coloring.

Back