My take on much of the New Tribe lineup

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, all:

After a lot of research, phone conversations with the manufacturer, and actually hanging in the saddles at Treestuff, I just want to lay out my thoughts on the New Tribe models, in the hopes it will help a fellow shopper.

Keep in mind that I am 5'8", 160#. Actual large people may have significantly different mileage!

These are arranged by "family," as I see it: (Model names link to the TS product page.)

• Yellow Jacket: minimalist, super compressible, light saddle that relies on diamond-shaped webbing structure (not padding) to support weight, fixed leg size, delta connection
  • Tree Fox: same construction/connection as YJ, more subdued color scheme, adds adjustable legs and accessory loops on leg straps
These were described as "racing saddles" by the manufacturer for their incredible lightness and thin (but comfortable) construction. These would be super for any user focused on rec. climbing and minimizing any feeling of bulk. They are super streamlined and minimalist. Very packable, very wearable while hiking. Given that I was looking for a saddle that could do double duty as a hunting saddle, I didn't think these would be as comfortable as other NT models on an all-day sit.

• Tengu: a more substantial saddle than the YJ/TF family in that it uses dense (not squishy) foam padding in its construction, lots of loops on belt, delta connection
  • Champion: similar padding to the Tengu, camo scheme (vs. black), has a snap connection and alum. ring on belt, soft connection
A CRITICAL difference for me is that the Champion's soft connection is on a belt that runs through loops on the padding. The belt actually rotates through a few degrees of motion when you twist, which provides a poor-man's facsimile of some of the mobility of a rope or webbing bridge. This was a really nice surprise discovery. The Tengu and Champion were my two finalists.

• ProGear II: a lot like the Tengu but with metal hardware. very nice arb. saddle for the price point, delta connection
  • Onyx (rope bridge): an awesome & impressive arborist saddle, super nice but too cutting edge/narrowly focused for my use, also out of my price range. if I were a professional production guy, I would save up for this one in a heartbeat!
My issue with the "work" models was noise. As a hunter, I can't have much of it. The aluminum ring of the Onyx bouncing of the bridge paws made a particularly lovely sound, but the idea of bringing it into the deer woods made me smile!

Awesome execution of the hunting saddle concept, but not enough of a generalist for my intended use(s). Also out of my price range. If money were no object, I would buy the Onyx AND the Aero Hunter Evo and have the right tool for each job.

As a guy of limited resources, I went with the Champion and am VERY happy. What put it ahead of the Tengu, (for me) was the accessory loops/hook/ring set-up and the rotating attachment point belt, which I see as a huge plus. (The delta connection really gives you zero ability to twist.)

Hope that's helpful to someone! I'll report back after the first climb with it.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention that while I first saw the Champion's crazy adjustability (32" to 46") as a liability--figuring how could it possibly fit all those sizes well--I came to see it as a benefit. First, NO amount of winter layering will be a problem and second, it's an awesome loaner for people who might be interested in getting into the canopy. BTW, it actually DOES fit fine at the smaller end of the range. I'm a 34"-36" depending on who's measuring! The soft Ds are right over my hipbones in a T-shirt; I will put on some layers and see where the Ds fall then.

Comprehensive report. Bound to be a big help to some looking for the right harness.

Aside from tape to quiet things Rescue Tape may be an option. On ebay a person can get 20 rolls right now for $45 from "woodland_liquidators" Baileys 'clear it out' branch.

Good Evening Spellfeller, not to drag a dead horse to the watering hole, did you research the Petzl Sequoia Swing Saddle? I like it for the fact that it has an aluminum seat, like the ones at a playground, it fits over winter clothing here in WI and has a bench type seat for long periods of hanging in a tree. Its also got an adjustable rope bridge, so no need for tethers. I've used it for turkey and deer hunting and I've sat in it up to 6 hours with no numbness or uncomfortable hips or back. It's extremely comfortable and adjustable to any body type..

Dave6390 in WI

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did not check that one out, Dave. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm very happy with the Champion for tree work. Given my lack of access to land this season, it's suitability for hunting may be a moot point! :(

Great post Jeff. I have a 12 pine bid i'm doing in a few weeks, first job for my own company. First thing im getting is the onyx saddle. Had my eye on that thing forever now. And you just re-assured me....Thanks bro. I'm climbing in the Buckingham viking saddle now and its heavy and pinches me in spots i would rather now say ....lol...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Congrats on the startup, brother, and best of luck with Job #1. That's exciting stuff!

I'll be happy to take some Onyx pix at TS if you'd still like, but I don't want to delay your purchase unnecessarily. I think you should go for it; I bet you'll be VERY happy with one!

Back