Harness recommendation for boney hips?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sawman, I'm between allentown and reading (in Kutztown). I only work part time and have been busting my hump to keep up with the grass for my mowing clients, wimpering and grumbling as I drive past the tree crews in Allentown cleaning up storm damage. I need to get some advertising going for the tree side of my business to take advantage of storm damage jobs.

Peter, tomorrow should see some climb time in the new saddle.

Jose, price was a secondary factor, availability was a main factor. I research new gear purchases till my eyes bug out, and would have had no problem ordering a treemotion or other top end harness if I KNEW that I would love it. It came down to what I had access to in my area. My comfort in the saddle is the most important factor to me, along with mobility, and at least having the potential to hang gear where I want (I don't have a ton of experience, so I take extra crap up with me). I am not concerned with safety as the range of saddles I was considering are all well established and safe saddles, so that factor was already covered. I have received compliments on my slower approach to tree removals than some other tree workers (even though they probably just knew what they were doing more than me), and the homeowners felt better with me as I seemed more methodical. I value safety over all else, but in my saddle search that was taken care of for me.

Boney Hips? Padding?

donuts5.jpg

HA!! tried that route for quite a while, years ago. Strict diet of bar food and yuengling hardly did anything. The only thing that ever worked was sympathy weight, when Julia got pregnant I gained 10lbs. But I lost it a month later, and won 2nd place in our biggest loser challenge at work!

I read until my eyes cut no read no more, I came to the conclusion that for me the Pezlt sequoia cover my needs. It is for the arborist ,however it is good to double as a tool bell when op high.

Got some air time in the new saddle yesterday, and spent most of today in it. It's ok. Its comfortable enough that I realized how awful the my gaf pads are, but its not quite what I want. I'm not unhappy with my purchase, but if it cost more I'd be pissed and the next one I purchase will have leg loops, not a batten seat or whatever they call it. Its very comfortable on my hips, it feels comfy and secure hanging on rope or in spurs, all is well in that department. It fits very well, the waist belt does not slide up or down as I move around in the tree. Gear placements are plentiful, caritool slots galore, rope bridge with rigging plates, they nailed everything except the legs. Hanging on the rope the seat is fine, and on spurs its good, but I climb like a rock climber - spreading out like a monkey on a whim when it helps stablity. Also, when transferring to another spar or another tree I tend to grab that tree with my legs while I throw my lanyard around it. This is where my new saddle fails miserably. The batten seat does not allow my legs the spread needed for these maneuvers. Sometimes I like to kinda squat into the trunk on my climb line to take weight off my spurs while waiting for the groundies, at which point the seat squeezes in on my thighs. I often have my feet on each side of a trunk or limb that has a crotch in it, which does not work in this saddle.

I think the owner of the saw shop and I had a miscommunication on leg loops. He said several times that most folks like the seat because it doesn't squeeze your legs together. I have never had a harness squeeze my legs together until this one and a weaver floating D that he had me try. I think "leg loops" to me means "butt strap" to him. I'm hoping to get some time an ergovation and a tree motion over the next few months or year or whatever, or maybe the treestuff rope saddle, then I'll finally be happy (just like goldilocks)

I have a new Sequoia for trim jobs and an older Sierra Moreno for removals.
Finding the Sequoia decently comfortable and lightweight, but after about 4+hours wearing it aloft, I start to wish I was wearing the SM. Although I haven't tried doing so yet, I doubt the Sequoia would feel very nice if I hang a bunch of gear and a heavy saw off of it.

That was another one in the plus column for this saddle, when I switched up to my mid size saw (echo 450P) I did not notice any pulling or other discomfort from the saddle at all. I hardly new the heavier saw as on there till I moved and it swung around. I have not had to put my ms461 on it yet, and I'm fine with that, It would be perfectly ok for me to keep that saw on the ground, but I have a feeling it will go aloft at some point. When I take the saddle off with all my gear hanging on it (except the saw) it seems very heavy, but I don't notice the weight at all while aloft.

Just for reference, hanging my 450 on the rock climbing harness I used to use would make me sore for days

My cougar with suspenders and leg loops held big saws nicely. I up graded and now my new guy loves it. I kind of miss it. I doubt I would like a batten seat.

I got no to point of reference, so I read about and that is my best choice. I did have it on for 12 hrs, some what, about the 2hr it became part of me. Is there a greater reference to be consider between triming and removal when it come to harmess?

Last edited:
Chris, if I'm not mistaken I think the bosun seat can be easily replaced by separate leg loops on your saddle. Luke has been supplying me individual parts for my saddle. The waist belt and suspension points I think are the same between the two.

I need to know, is $75.00 a good price to do a stump. Meet this guy and he got 2 grinders one manual operated another (remote control)robotic. Hi say hi will do stumps for $75.00 ,he do it for less in bulk. H got his card. 20150717_150922.jpg 20150717_150931.jpg

Thanks Raj, I will contact look into that and probably contact Luke about it. I just realized my avatar pic has my legs out just as I described, which is either impossible or highly uncomfortable in my new saddle, depending on the situation. I looked at removing the baton seat, and saw that was not possible as the "leg straps" are attached to it with no continuation to the rest of the saddle. But replacing that with happy leg loops had not occurred to me.

The flag was part of the designing thinking ,most of use in this town are veterans , plus the active duty. The use of the flag in the advertising off a small business here cut open the door for opportunities . People like to help a small business and get then happy to help a veteran , so I meet those 2 points. I did use the flag side to advertise multiple discounts. I did realize to late that I did not added the line advertising 'Insure and bonded " at this point that was is not correct ,so when it become true I will add it in conversation backed by documentation . I think it will add a tone of professionalism . I was working on the insurance and bond , found a company . Will have to call back, it was not that expensive . Got to get that straight .

Last edited:
Sawman, I'm between allentown and reading (in Kutztown). I only work part time and have been busting my hump to keep up with the grass for my mowing clients, wimpering and grumbling as I drive past the tree crews in Allentown cleaning up storm damage. I need to get some advertising going for the tree side of my business to take advantage of storm damage jobs.
Dude I completely understand!!
When the grass stops growing we got to hook up,I have a treemotion you can try!!
Were pretty close?

Sawman, looks like about a 1.5 hr drive, not far at all. We could meet at the tree-0-cache near doylestown if you're interested, I've been itching to go find that tree. And I would love to try a treemotion :D

Back