My First Deer

Poor deer. LJ, isn't there sometime of ritual for nailing your first deer, like rubbing the blood all over yourself?

Mr. Sir, I think Treetx has some good spots in TX. Maybe he will turn you on to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nate, he took in 3 deer that afternoon and we didn't have time to score it. I'll go by next week and get a measurement.

GG, haha! They tried for that, but I told them it wasn't the best idea they'd had that day. I'm not the great white hunter, I'm 21 years old, and I couldn't find a reason to whipe more blood on me after dressing it.

Oh I wasn't poking fun at the sizes if deer anywhere,just pointing out that diet has a lot to do with size. Male white tail in north western Ohio are between 130 and 300 lbs on the hoof.I suppose a big muley would go 300,mine did.If it were not a none typical,it would have made Boone and Crocket.

My cousin got a 3 or 4 year old , in '64 that did make Boone and Crocket from the same area .At that time it was the secord largest buck ever taken in the Vail area.We figured mine was about 7 years old,silver timber buck,past his prime.

I've hunted in Colorado,PA,West Va and Ohio. The Pa deer and West Va white tails were rather small,no antlers to speak of.The Ohio and Col deer were the largest .I had pictures of over 40 does in a group in Col just prior to a storm rolling in.The deer were smarter than us,we awoke up to 8 inchs of snow on the ground . I've seen some powerfull snow falls but nothing like the Col rockies.It can go from sunny to a white out in just a few hours.

Now about the gamey taste,some like it I don't.If you make a roast and smother it in tomatoes it takes most of the wild out,also 7-up does something.

If we made summer sausage we would add some beef to the mix .It seems to me the fat from a deer is were the nasty taste is and should be removed.The addition of fairly lean beef along with the deer made some good sausage. Man it took a lot of beer to make that sausage,or so it seemed.:lol:

Yeah Paul, I walked into that one.:D

And Al, I hear ya bro. I agree it's all about their diet for sure. We do all our own butchering and we cut out ALL the deer fat. When we make our hamburger and sausage we add beef fat since deer is so lean and deer fat is nasty for some reason.

Haha, he thinks I'm a psycho. :/:

If the shoe fits :D

Actually, let me know if you are up for deer in Texas. Lots of opportunities for deer and piggies :thumbup:

The scoring thing is a PITA. I tried it the 1st time this year. Where my folks are, there are plenty of deer but 120 is avg and 150 is huge. 4 weeks ago I went to a place near San Angelo (TX) - 180-200 was what they shot and 150 bucks were culled :? Crazy.

The scoring takes points off for lack of symmertry, etc...

I prefer to not shoot or eat white-tail deer. Given the chance, I go for piggy or an Axis deer.

Axis taste more like beef. Fat makes things taste good! Marbling that is, not trim fat. ;)

Ciervo-axis-ch.jpg

The secret to it is, cut out the backstrap and send it to Rotax Robert on overnite mail and I'll let you know if it is worth eating. Nice Buck

Oh,while on this subject for those that don't hunt.Unless you live in a highly populated deer area such as some of us,you would not believe the amount that get ran over my motor vehicles.

It is twenty miles from where I live to the place I grew up in where my mother lives.One day while going out there I counted 7 deer that were hit by vehicles.

Statistics have shown that deer that are under hunting pressure actually do better over all.Sounds crazy but true.By being on the move the gene pool is more widely distributed making for a heathier deer. I don't hunt anymore,just passing on this tid bit.

We've got two cow elk hanging at my bro's house and I think we'll chop em up on tuesday. That means some fresh back strap for me.:D

tenderloin=back strap :D
Beef,deer,pig,elk,lamb no matter.The best cuts of meat comes from the loin /backstrap area .No bone,all muscle.

Commercial cuts of meat such as filet mignon,pork tender loin,etc all come from this area of the animal.It's all good from the bottom of the loin to the top of the rib cage.

My first Montana whitetail. 225-245lbs. Everything is big out here. Taken Nov. 07.

Attachments

• DSC01062.JPG
    DSC01062.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC01064.JPG
    DSC01064.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 43
tenderloin=back strap :D
----------------------------------

Not so! Though a lot of folks think it is.

The back strap (meat) is the long muscle that runs along the outside of the deer's spine/back from the neck to the back legs.

The actual tenderloin is found on the inside of the deer starting at the pelvis area, (about a foot or so long depending). There is another smaller tenderloin that most don't realize between the front shoulder area along the spine inside the chest cavity,(usually not enough meet to bother with IMO).

Depending on the size of the deer will determine the size of the loin...the bigger the better!

...oh and BTW, nothing beats a moose tenderloin, IMHO!!!;)

HC

Back