The Official Deer Season 2010 Thread

Haha, here the deer belong to the state and folks are not allowed to keep them without a permit. Wolves are also owned by the state but a rancher is not allowed to shoot one off the back of a calf nor will the state reimburse him for his loss:dur:

I suppose the dilemma of the wildlife belonging to the state is nationwide. Our deer "belong" to the state of Alabama............until one runs out in front of you and causes major damage to your vehicle. Then it mysteriously becomes just the local wildlife, belonging to no one.

Theres a lot of open range around here, you hit a beef, you may have just bought it!

Theres a lot of open range around here, you hit a beef, you may have just bought it!

Here if your beef, horse or whatever gets out and hit by a car, I think you as the animals owner is responsible.

I would have to fight it if someone said I just bought their beef because I hit it in the road. JMO. I think they (owner) would be liable for my car damage and injuries if any.

Iffen I had to pay for their beef when it was in the road, (and it damaged my vehicle to start with), I'm afraid there might have to be some rustling in the near future......:lol:

I love this guy......

Posted by Anonymous User at Jul 10, 2008 10:41 AM

I am an Idaho rancher, formerly of Texas. I have seen every state in the union at least 5 times and want to say, "I have never hit a cow, horse, goat, sheep, or even a chicken.

If you city slickers want to live in the city, GO BACK, we don't want you out here. Country is for agriculture, not your silly flower gardens and ranchettes. I have seen your cities and you can have them. You obviously have created for yourselves what you no longer want so you move into the rural areas and try to force what you fled on the rest of us.

As for the environmentalist...take a bath and I'll invite you to a wolf killin'

And he is somewhat right.

We see it up here with the deer... People move up here from the city and plant all kinds of gardens with out consideration to the fact that there are critters up here that will tear it right up. Then they discover they need a 7 foot high deer fence. Then the birds are an issue.. Deer fence discouraged the turkeys... Aviary mesh over the garden now to keep the jays, peckers, finches etc out.. Then gopher traps.
These people never knew the plight of the farmer but figure how hard can it be. :lol:
Maybe the laws need to be addressed.. But chances are, if you decided to live in the country or woods, you better remember you moved here into an existing element... Your choice.

We see it here with the monkeys. People build a second home and want to feed the cute baby monkeys, then they realize with dismay that the baby monkeys come with a large group of big monkeys, and their combined IQ is considerably higher than the humans. The new veranda becomes monkeyville. :|:

Common sight here... Just not monkeys....
People really need to rethink wild critters for a new family member.... :roll:

Attachments

• 06-12-08 Deer Eating-a.jpg
    06-12-08 Deer Eating-a.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
Same here, Stephen.
But it didn't use to be that way. Deer used to be shy and not quite so common.
Then about 10 years ago we had an epidemic of fox mange that more or less wiped out the fox population. With their biggest natural enemy gone, the deer population simply exploded. So now we have so many deer, that they are pressed into living in the most unlikely places.
We had a doe+fawn hanging out in the orchard this summer, despite the fact that the dogs hang out there, too.
Sam scared the shit out of that fawn a couple of times by looking at it in that certain way that says:" If I didn't know it would piss Stig off, I'd eat you!". Should have heard it scream. Still they didn't move away.
So I'n not a city slicker, having lived in the country all my life, but I still consider fencing off part of the place to keep the critters out.

Richard is a big help, he eats one of them every year. I have let the hunters who rent the hunting on both sides of my land hunt on mine for free, but asked them to shoot a deer for Richard every summer.