ms660

Not to sound the ass here but something tells me that other peoples ideas of cutting at an acceptable speed and my idea of cutting at an acceptable speed might be slightly different. My 660 was used today with a 32" bar and with the EHP mod it is just acceptable imo and still to slow with a 36" on it. I prefer to make my alap cut in 30+" wood without gnawing away for minutes on end.

Maybe I'm ADD but cutting slow bores me.:D

Squishy I do not do production work so a little more time to make cut is not a problem. If I were doing this every day to make a living then I could justify a bigger saw.

066 runs 36 bar fine.. use skip chain on mine yadda yadda. Same chain on 28 bar, no skip on 25 and all round chisel. Runs all N.P.
Skip chain on the 36 bar is a must though.

I have a 36" bar for my 660, I don't run it with it unless I need it.

I'll make a deal if people will stop saying 'it pulls a 36 just fine'. I'll quit saying 'it's not fast enough'.:D

We are talking purely opinion here. Certainly the saw will pull a 36", do I like the way it cuts while doing it no I don't personally

OK OK OK
Yeah I prefer a smaller bar on it too. I dont like the flex in the 36 bar I have and probably need to get an opinion on a better bar. Probably run a better 36 better. Speed wise NP with the skip chain. But yeah I have more likable speed with under 36 bar. But again, Maybe a better bar with a good tip would pull better and not flex.

I'm thinking about a new 460 before they're gone and then sending it to Ed. It's worth the wait.;)

Anyone here running a modded 460?

I prefer to make my alap cut in 30+" wood without gnawing away for minutes on end.

Maybe I'm ADD but cutting slow bores me.:D
Say what,minutes on end,really minutes . Are you sure you don't have the chain on ass backwards .:lol: About a minute would be more like it on 30 inch unless it's petrified .

Ahhh Big A no need to get defensive, everyone knows your American minutes are longer than Canadian one's.........Takes you guys longer to do anything.:D

Well,I guess we are a little more layed back on this side of the border at times .In the frozen north country you folks have move faster or you would ice up,in places .:P

WOW!!

Fallguy: I watched a stock 046 run a 32" fullcomp in White Oak. It lugged a lot. Skip would have been bette, but it did pull it and got the job done.

Sqishy: I run a modded 046, it has a woods ported aftermarket big bore kit. I run a 32" full comp and cut Hedge with it. It's not realy fast, but what is in Hedge? Oak is like butter!

I'm thinking about a new 460 before they're gone and then sending it to Ed. It's worth the wait.;)

Anyone here running a modded 460?

Even better I had a certain builder from the west coat of Canadia build mine, he can be found and begged to on racesaws. I am running a new 440 with a 460 heavily modded top end. He did some mods to the intake, carb, and a few others as well. This will outcut a stock 660 up to a 28" bar in any wood, and an operators race with a 32" in softwood.

Great saws. The 460 from my understanding wont be going anywhere for some time. The 362 will coming shortly as well as the 442. New handheld blowers this fall as well.

Is there any advantage to semi skip over full skip? I have always used full comp but the bars I have run are 20" and under. I know teeny weeny.

Is there any advantage to semi skip over full skip? I have always used full comp but the bars I have run are 20" and under. I know teeny weeny.

Semi and full skip cut slower than full comp. But are far easier to sharpen on those longer bars. I run full skip, out of laziness of sharpening, on all bars over 24".

If full or semi skip cut faster, racers would use it!

BB, Are we to expect more power from the 362 and 442 or just revised emissions. I'm hoping the weight comes down a smidge on the 442. I was trying to find a few 440's but no luck here.

Oh I suppose it just depends on the wood and power you have available weather skip on a long bar is better than full comp or not .

I don't own an 066 to compair .However on the 125 Macs I have both skip and full and to tell the truth I can't tell much difference . When it comes time to file though it doesn't take nearly as long on skip . Now I'm here to tell ya,a 36" loop has a lot of cutters .

I went to skip on my 066 with the 36 bar and did see a difference in cutting. It did seem to cut more efficiently. Maybe I better use a stop watch ... LOL

BB, Are we to expect more power from the 362 and 442 or just revised emissions. I'm hoping the weight comes down a smidge on the 442. I was trying to find a few 440's but no luck here.

Slight power increases, new air filtration, better engine designs (better emissins), and HOPEFULLY lighter. Thats what I was told by my Stihl rep.

Semi and full skip cut slower than full comp. But are far easier to sharpen on those longer bars. I run full skip, out of laziness of sharpening, on all bars over 24".

If full or semi skip cut faster, racers would use it!

You are part mistaken. Full skip will out cut comp on a "long" bar any day. The extra cutters on comp can't clear the cut so your cut speed drops when using long bars.8)

Back