MS660 Superstock

• Thread starter Tzed250
  • Start date
  • Replies 45
  • Views 17K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

It is my theory that when Stihl was forced by OSHA to restrict the sound level of the 066 that they had to compensate by using more exhaust duration. This works with a choked up muffler, but is excessive with an open muffler. The porting of these later cylinders must work with the high exhaust port. Phase II will be coming soon. Stay tuned...

Sorry for the slight derail, but does anyone else here also think that the Stihl 460 magnum is a loud saw? The one they sell here has a pretty open muffler, not sure how it compares, and all I did was take off the screen.

Not really .Tom has a brand new one and it's pretty quiet .Ironically his 441 isn't too far behind it as far as speed of cut .

As far as long exhaust, could be right with respect to sound level .The few I've raised from say 98-100 to 94-96 got louder but then again they got faster .

I thought the brand new NOT broken in mS460 I tested was a pig in the cut. Granted it wasnt broke in and DID NOT have the DP muffler cover and the side exhaust outlet looked like a pencil eraser size. So I would say it was the combination of all the above that made it feel so crappy in the cut.

:lol: Well that's the problem with some of us that have gotten used to more higher performance saws .What might impress some folks on a stock saw wouldn't be very pleasing to us .

:lol: Well that's the problem with some of us that have gotten used to more higher performance saws .What might impress some folks on a stock saw wouldn't be very pleasing to us .

The stock 7900 and Solo 681 sure impressed me stock and not broken in ;).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought the brand new NOT broken in mS460 I tested was a pig in the cut. Granted it wasnt broke in and DID NOT have the DP muffler cover and the side exhaust outlet looked like a pencil eraser size. So I would say it was the combination of all the above that made it feel so crappy in the cut.

Kevin, I think that most of the old school saws that got choked in the last few years are pitiful compared to when they were first introduced. If you look at the size of the exhaust outlets from saws made 15 years ago compared to the saws now it is amazing. The old saws were engineered around open exhausts. Being strangled kills them. The new breed are engineered to work with the quiet mufflers. A DP cover and 6-10 tanks of fuel will do the 460 a world of good.

I can't remember the model of that demo I ran over at Twin Turbines GTG .What ever it was it zipped right through that close to 40" log .Never missed a beat .

I have two 46's and a 460. I thought the 460 did not to bad in stock trim. Of course now that TW(Timberwolf) worked it over for me it's absolutely awesome!

I can't remember the model of that demo I ran over at Twin Turbines GTG .What ever it was it zipped right through that close to 40" log .Never missed a beat .

576xp with 28" buried if I remember correctly. That one impressed me too for stock.

The new breed are engineered to work with the quiet mufflers. A DP cover and 6-10 tanks of fuel will do the 460 a world of good.

Perhaps so but never the less they don't have the snap of the slightly older models in most cases .

I'm of the opinion that most if not all newer models would benefit from some type of muffler alteration .I can't think of an easier way to gain essentually "free horsepower ".

Some bellyache they get too loud --so buy a set of ear muffs,simple .:)

576xp with 28" buried if I remember correctly. That one impressed me too for stock.
Yep very impressive saws, so impressive I got 3 of them. When brand new my Husky dealer showed me the factory news letter saying to reset the factory EPA lean settings on the saw's computer the saw has to run through the biggest log possible WOT for the very FIRST 5 MINUTES .
Right out of the box with a 32" b/c and screens still in the mufflers I cut cookies off a 30" frozen spruce and like Al said they never missed a beat. Now that they each have about 20 tanks thru them the speed and torque is amazing for a 74cc saw.
I've been itching to do a muffler mod on one of them, but to be honest I like the smooth quiet.
Willard.:)

The 576xp we ran Willard wasnt the auto-tune version from what I understand. It was before that one was released.

The 576xp we ran Willard wasnt the auto-tune version from what I understand. It was before that one was released.
you might be right Kevin. The oldest 576 auto tune I have is from the 34 week of 09 the other 2 are from the 40wk 09. But I believe the 576 AT first came out late 08, I might be wrong though. If the 576 you guys demoed wasn't a auto tune it must have been tuned spot on with a little sweet spot on top.
I hear many of the Husky dealers or distributers like to demo the auto tune because it always runs in perfect tune. Very few of these sales guys can properly set a carb screw if they tried. If their techs set it , they just use the tach and set it by the book.

Willard.

Very few of these sales guys can properly set a carb screw if they tried. If their techs set it , they just use the tach and set it by the book.

Willard.

The guy that picked up the 576xp demo from the shop he works in knows how to tune and build a saw, it wasnt the reps doing for sure ;). Plus he is a dang gooood operator racing saws too.

So I would imagine he set it up before we all got to take turns at her that day.

Big guy on left green looking chaps 3.99ci +

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uEK9hGY0gm4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uEK9hGY0gm4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Tottaly unacceptable in a Stihl thread :barf:

:P

This will make you feel better. Stihl dealer, Wayne running his MS361 in 0-3.99ci class at same show.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Hdz-NRPgUg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Hdz-NRPgUg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

My WAG = Alky, Lots of Nitromethane, lots of oil and;)

Back