MS660, sleeper, or dud?

There's pro's and cons to a raised dome piston . However if you don't do certain things to the porting they really have no advantage over a flat top .

You have to remember though that cutting a dome in the piston effectively is the same is raising the ex port .If however you cut a small pop up,in other words going in too far you will loose compression and alter the flame front propigation over the piston . If you screw up there's no going back .You can always cut metal off but once it's gone,it's gone .

I think the next one I do will be a flat top just to compare . Ha one advantage to reworking cheap saws is if you screw up you aren't out much .So far I haven't .Although I've had to go back in and fix things that didn't quite agree with me .

Actually, I was able to go back, sort of. I left myself an open port situation by opening it up too much, so I welded a small piece of aluminum on to the piston skirt, and shaped it to the edge. To my skepticism, it worked out.

IMGP9368.jpg had a chance to run two used saws today,

a rebuilt MS 660 and a 395XP, the 660 had a 24" bar, the 395 a 28" bar, the 395XP flat out-cut the 660, even with the bigger bar, not by a small margin, by a big one actually.

I'm not really loyal to a certain brand, so I bought the 395XP :) it is an '05

From what I've seen most Huskies in the same displacement class have a leg up on Stihl .I am assuming the double tunnel transfer port design Huskies use might be the reason .

IMGP9382.jpg IMGP9380.jpg

Put it right to work on a big ash-bole... ( like that word-play? ;) ) runs really well and eats big wood.

Lou liked it too, albeit a bit big for her to handle :P

Here it comes, Cary...:|:

Wrap that thumb around the handle, my friend. You'll have so much stronger grip and thus better ability to control the saw, most especially if she kicks back.

okay dad....;) lol, I do, normally, but sometimes it moves a bit.

I got a pretty good grip B, don't you worry your pretty head :) lol

I'm sure you do, son... but it's even better with that opposed force of thumb and fingers in play :D.

Pretty head, ha! You're much the prettier one, far as I can see ;).

Nice looking saw btw, even if it is orange :).

good to know we all have a surrogate Pop out there watching over us... ;) seriously :) thanks B.

Guy I subbed for last weekend got comfortable and had the saw kick back and hit is lip. If he wasn't wearing a hard hat the saw could have damaged more as it hit the brim.

Don't get comfy.

Oh BTW I had one come back on me today,my damned hand is still sore but I had a death grip on it .Never under estimate the stress of a fallen tree .

Couldn't help noticing that Lou appears to have an open port situation going on as well. Right Al, intake opened up too much on the bottom. I think I've widened an exhaust too much too, so a piston window slightly showed up. Not so serious it would seem.
First time running it yesterday, I really like the way the 242xp is performing with the larger model carb on there, a limbing saw became also a bucking saw. :boogie: Some slight stutter occasionally in the spool up, but it isn't dialed in yet. 42ccs weight is not at all bad to carry around all day.

Guy I subbed for last weekend got comfortable and had the saw kick back and hit is lip. If he wasn't wearing a hard hat the saw could have damaged more as it hit the brim.

Don't get comfy.

You're right, Bren.

Bucking up rounds where you have all manner of tree bits piled around is an easy venue for catching a bar tip and getting a nasty surprise. I know of a FS cutter, well experienced, took a bar to the face cutting firewood rounds in a FS work center yard. Low risk environment, but you gotta keep your mind on the job full-time.

Open window,wow .You gots ta mark that piston next time and double check it before you get out the die grinder .Oh well things happen .

Yesterday the back of the mini hit me in the back as the guy operating it was swinging it around. I was bucking at the time and went flying. I'd say the blame was fifty-fifty. No damage but a bit of a start.

Yep. There are so many things to keep in mind when doing this work. Working quickly and safely has it's attention demands.

Eyes in the back of our heads would be a good thing. Somehow we have to keep sharp, and like you say, it can be on so many fronts simultaneously. Glad to hear it was not a bad one.

Easy enough to have gotten on the other side of the log to cut, a little cramped, but...since the mini was working in the area. It's the little things too.

Back