MS660, sleeper, or dud?

Dave Shepard

Square peg, round world.
I'm in the market, or maybe just the mood, for a new saw. I've got to replace the 394, as I don't have any other running saws, well I do have the Husky 66, but it's a tad small. I know the 660 isn't the same as the old 066, but I was wondering if a dual port muffler and a retune would make up for it, or should I just get an MS460 and be done with it. It will have to be a Stihl, as I'm working a barter and whatever model I get, I will get a good deal on.:/: I was thinking I might order the 660R with the bigger oil pump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've heard they are very restricted compared to the 066. If I can't easily get it to run comparable to an 066/394, I don't think it's worth the extra weight. I don't think I'm going to bother fixing my 394 again. Going to part it out I guess.

Rajan, that's not encouraging. We have a good 385 at work, but it's no 394, obviously.

The 394 is just a beast. When I was running the 660 it seemed like a dog maybe in fairness I was sweeping through a 42", or so, red oak log with a 36" bar but my 385 handles a 36" bar with ease and I have had that in 60" elm with a 42" bar. In my avatar I am using the 385 with a 42" bar in basswood, so that really does not count, but I was unimpressed with a 660.

660 is not a dud. For a saw in its weight class it is still my favorite.

I'm either getting a new Stihl from my friend, or finding another 394. I think I'm going to dump all of my 394 parts, I think they will find a good home somewhere to the East of here. :/: The bars I'll keep for the Bill/Skwerl 372. If I can get that to run, I'll keep the Husky stuff, if not, that will go too.

If you get a 660 then see if you can get the West coast version with the full wrap handle. Not so much for the handle but for the higher capacity oil pump. Otherwise it's another $100+ to find the part number and order the better oil pump. I had a thread here a few years ago and it was also posted over on Forestry Forum (I haven't been there in ages).

Once you get it oiling properly then you can work on improving power. One reason I run Husky instead of Stihl is because of the oiler issue with the mid size saws sold on the East coast. They don't lubricate enough and then they charge you out the ass for bars and sprockets. Quite a scheme they have going.

I think most of the issues on the MS 660 is directly related to the restricted mufflers .

Toms' 660 does fine with a 36" ,oils okay etc .It doesn't however have the guts his 066 had which was stolen a few years back .

Skwerl, I was thinking I'd have him order a 660R version for that reason.

Al, is it as simple as getting a dual port muffler cover and retuning the carb? I don't want to do any more than that.

A MS460 and MS660 out of the box is pure dogs to me. I had a stock MS660 along with a woods ported 066. The MS660 from the factory was restricted to a pencil eraser exhaust outlet and solid cover. Open that outlet up like on the older 066 muffler 100% of deflector and open the front cover with a deflector or a dual port cover. Remove the inner cage inside back of muffler preferred or drill bigger holes in it, then remove or trim your carb stops and retune carb. It will seem like a different saw in the cuts and become a animal, JMO.

I just ordered the new pump for the 660, $86 and some change. I figure I will have the saw for quite a long time.

Al, is it as simple as getting a dual port muffler cover and retuning the carb? I don't want to do any more than that.
If you did no more than that it can only improve it over factory stock .

There's more you could do but since you prefer not to go that route the afore mentioned should give you what you want .

Keep in mind a new 660 is a pile of dough .

Saws have always been a good investment for a timber faller here. You can get your return in one or two days work. Well,, least in the past anyway.

I look at a logger investing 250,000 in a machine and taking years to recoup that cost.

I know I can do all the porting, etc., but I just want it to run appropriately for this class of saw. If I'm really disappointed, I'll have to mod it some.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with it . Like I said Toms' does fine it's just not his old hot rod . His former BTW was rebuilt by a pretty good local builder but not modded in the ways some of us do it .It was just enhanced a tad bit .

Now everyone has an opinion but I personally don't think an 066/Ms 660 is all that big of a deal to handle with a 36" .--and I'm an old fart ---:)

I bought a 660 a couple of years back. Complete dog in stock form imo. I sent it to Ed and now I'm happy with it. A modded 460 is a far superior saw imo unless you're always going to be buried in 24" plus wood.

My .02's

My modded 046 really gives my original 066 magnum a run for its money. Now the modded 066.. that is a whole different animal... I think I could use a 42 bar now:|:

A 460 is a nice saw .I've ran Toms a tad bit .It won't outcut my 038 Mag but the mag is souped and the 460 is bone factory stock .Even at that though it does just fine .

A couple of seconds on a 18" round won't even be noticable in a days cutting .I just like the snort of a souped saw .Really from what I see the big thing in why these danged Stihl don't have the punch is restrictive exhausts and limiters on the carbs .About anyone can remedy those conditions .Problem is you get to fooling with them and the warentee is void .

Back