MS660 air filter

I couldn't say one way or another if they do or not .I've got one on a 2100 Husky that has two sizes of filters . The larger must be around 4 inches at the base .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You lot are teasing me now, i cant wait till monday morning now when the shop opens!

Usually the shops over here have a tendency to just look at the present stuff, but we'll see what they say.

Wouldnt worry about the derail, I have an 036 stock and a muffler mod 360 too:/:

I don't get that either . .The UK is noted for two cycle tuners of motorcycles but it seems very few have much to do with saw engines .
Some think it's rocket science or something or black magic .:?

It's none of the above ,so to speak just simple physics .

On the other hand though I can kind of understand the thinking because the poor folks are under more edicts and laws than you can shake a stick at . Good heavens you need a special permit to operate anything .:(

I don't get that either . .The UK is noted for two cycle tuners of motorcycles but it seems very few have much to do with saw engines .
Some think it's rocket science or something or black magic .:?

It's none of the above ,so to speak just simple physics .

On the other hand though I can kind of understand the thinking because the poor folks are under more edicts and laws than you can shake a stick at . Good heavens you need a special permit to operate anything .:(

I think you've got it sussed Al, those over here who are really against anything modded are usually the ones who stick very close to the rules.

There are many though, who really have no idea what its all about, like if you open anything up, it will blow it, or if you need a bigger output, buy a bigger saw. They just need educating i guess.:what:

Oh I'm for the bigger saw thing in a way .I've got a few but I use them so seldom it's really kind of dumb to even own one . Other that the fact I can so I do .;)

It's just kind of neat to have a little or mid size saw that gets with the program .It's not for everybody though .

Say I think some of the west coasters may have ran 066's with big fat K and N filters . The problem with those things is you have to remove the cover for them to work .

The up side is they have a large area for filtration and are pretty unrestrictive .

Maxflow. They come with a rain cover.

I like the new stihl HD filters now days with part number 0000-120-1654. The older ones that was on my 084's etc sucked. I run the new ones on my 066 and 084's.

Here is a woods ported 066 with no piston work etc, just good Ole cylinder porting. Works with a 16" - 32" but mostly with the 25".
Guy from Idaho compared this one to his ported 660 with 32" and bar buried and came away smiling at the difference in the saws.

Could knock a second off these 3 cuts in a 10x10 with a good chain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkvHZY_uwBg

Looks like we have a go on the HD filter:D

Our dealer has put the filter and pre-filter on order for me at a total cost of £21.50. I'm well made up, looks like i can keep some of that crud out of the motor!

I did get chance to speak to Pete McTree, and it seems his 660, and 460 suffer the same symptoms, so we shall see how it goes.

My dealer did say they have never sold a HD filter for a 660 before though, perhaps another sign of people making do with whats on offer over here:/:

We really can be a bit like sheep sometimes!:|:

The HD filters last almost forever. The prefilter catches 97% of the dirt so only the very fine stuff actually gets to the main filter anyway. You can clean the prefilter with gas if you like, although I've always used compressed air on all my air filters.

Here you go, just for reference really but i managed to get the pics to download!

This filter has had around 4 tanks of fuel through since last clean out, just mainly cross cutting hardwood.

DSCF0135.jpg

Doesnt look too bad until i removed it;

DSCF0137.jpg

And behind the deflector;:O

DSCF0138.jpg

Just goes to show how naff these standard filters are. Baffles me somewhat why manufacturers can think this is ok as a standard fitting:what:

Sure Butch, thats the pre-filter. A bit like a sock that slides over and is washable.

Here you can actually see the dust stacked up on the deflector, most of this will be relatively harmless to the motor but imagine if it was working in extremely dusty conditions:\:

DSCF0141.jpg

Wow, that filter sux. It looks like it's made from a different material as well. Yours looks like some panty hoes.

That green mesh filter is for winter use only supposedly. It is just a mesh screen and will let dust threw like you see. Use the HD filter I listed in my post, it comes with a pre-filter and then filter of a different type for catching small dust.
Holy cow no wonder you folks are having troubles, that filter I think ends in 1653 winter use.

Back