MS660 air filter

That would be for a expert to answer, but my huskys have 2 filters too. One mesh like that green stihl HD for winter and flocked one for other times that catches the fine stuff. If I run my winter filter on the husky it will let dust through just like the green 1653 stihl one in good weather.

Just a guess, but winter time moisture might have something to do with it. I am really clueless to why. But that green HD winter filter is a no no in my book unless you want to ruin your saw. JMO and it dont count for much.

It's all in the Stihl IPL's if you want to look for yourselves. I would get the first one on this stihl IPL list.

0000 120 1654 Air filter HD

0000 120 1653 Air filter, wire mesh THIS IS THE GREEN ONE

0000 120 1601 Air filter, fleece AUS

I run the same filter year round. There's no need for a thinner winter filter than I can see, some saws even have a baffle to restrict air flow during winter months to keep the saw in "tune" and perhaps for easier starting.

I would think cutting up north in minus degrees compared to winter in Miss would be a little different.

There has to be some reason them having winter filters.

I run the same filter year round also, unless for some reason I have a mesh one for that saw I am running that day and it is cold winter weather.
I did notice in testing the mesh filter flows better but with the cost of letting crap in you carbs.

Some saws have a opening to the cylinder where you can open it in the winter to get heat off the cylinder to help keep you from having the carb icing up. But I dont think you will have that problem in Miss.

I see what you mean about allowing a lot of dust in .Not good at all .In a short amount of time that will kill that saw .

It's true, I haven't operated a saw below the teens, but I still don't see a reason why you'd need panty hose for an air cleaner in the winter.

I don't follow that either, Carl.

I've run both 460 and 066 in bad cold weather, always with the HD filters...no issues.

Like I said I am clueless too, but you got me wondering also.

I dont give a rip what a book says, I run what I run for my likings and it isnt winter type filters for keeping the saw dust and chips out.

Here is something in the stihl owners manual said about it though.

Standard wire mesh filter (2) (green filter housing) for extreme wintry
operating conditions (eg in powder or drifting snow, frost).

I suppose if you were sucking snow into the HD filter it might clog it up...maybe. Perhaps the larger pores in the green winter filter wouldn't.

It would have to be bitchin' cold to not melt out, assuming you had switched the port shutter around to preheat the carb.

I don't cut when it's THAT bad.

Winter filters are all I ever ran when I worked on the coast, the 'flocked' ones just got plugged to fast espescially in the serious rain/snow. Also found the stihl arctic kits with the heated carb to be much more reliable on the north coast through the winter months. When all I did was cut I got a new saw atleast once a year and moved last years back to a spare and the year befores back to a parts saw or sold it off so a bit of dust getting into the cylinder was not a big concern for me, I ran my saws hot and hard. Now I use the flocked filters with no problemo.

Moving from a flocked to the mesh/winter filter you can hear the difference in air flow when cracking open the saw. More air = more power, but more dirt/dust = shorter life for sure.

Many of the saws I tinker on for others just have filter problems .

The homeowners types are often so plugged the saw hardly runs .

On the pro models they literally beat the flock out of them .The flocking gets beat out of the filters and never replaced with a good filter and it kills the saw .Simple as that .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What you are all saying sounds logic, i can see very cold temps maybe needing a more open filter, but come on we (over the pond) are hardly in arctic conditions!

If stihl for instance found that the only way to run a saw in harsh conditions was to reduce the life of the motor(hard to imagine it), surely they cannot apply that to such a large market such as the UK/Europe!

Im starting to wonder where they test ran these filters before stock fitting them and releasing in such large numbers, perhaps somewhere where there was no dust:/:

Also found the stihl arctic kits with the heated carb to be much more reliable on the north coast through the winter months.

I was wondering why nobody mentioned heated carbs.
I didn't know it was a special kit, around here it is the standard set-up on the Stihl pro models.
Works great!

The Arctic kit is only offered on a couple saws in the US, but a ton of them in Canada. I think only the 440, 441, and 460 have it here.:?

You should have that HD set up soon Stoner.. You should see a notable difference... Just adding the prefilter would help in your circumstance.. But that HD will keep it much cleaner...

Sure Stephen, i'll give the dealer a ring today and see if its in, im travelling out that way later.

Spoken to another mate of mine with a 660 and his also cruds up the same as mine. Think he will get a better set up also.

The dealer actually listed the prefilter as a seperate part so perhaps its an option for the other guys who are concerned over here, if they just want to wrap that onto the stock filter. Well it would sure be better than leaving alone!

Got the prefilter from the dealer, but seems to be a delay in getting the HD. Even with the felt sock fitted i feel a bit more confident using the saw now without compromising motor life.

The HD should be in sometime next week.

OK make me feel good about paying $30 USD for a HD filter with pre-filter.

How much does the HD filter and pre-filter cost you over there?

HD here is around £19 and prefilter £4 inluding tax

Think thats around $33 US total.

That ain't bad at all, I figured you would get the big double the price stihl gouge. Guess not. 8)
I was just going by how it seems the saw prices are 50% to double more in some places overseas.

Back