Motorcycling.

Over here, you can do an advanced riding course with police motorcyclists. When they teach you to 'make progress' quickly cross country, they teach you to use the whole road. Buzz knows more about it than me, maybe he can chime in.

I suspect there is more to this, as advanced cornering techniques get quite involved. However, let me relate a comment on the mind set of people under pressure.

An accident investigator was asking a fireman why he tried to drive a 40t truck over a 20t bridge and the fireman answered it was an emergency! Apparently it is not uncommon in high stress, time critical, decision making to try and overcome the laws of physics. Police and firemen are faced with this type of decision making all the time and still make mistakes.

When you are riding fast you gauge your corner entry speed by the amount of usable road. If that usable road suddenly changes to the front bumper of a truck you will not likely complete that corner. Riding the twists is fun and but so is living to do it again.

Must have been a fantastic trip, and such great bikes! Funny story at the end of the chap's old dad doing 160mph on a bike, thinking it was kph.

A friend of mine rode his bicycle from Oregon to Boston, I think it was, during the bike centennial many years ago. He said that there was an English bloke in his group that rode the whole way in a shirt and tie, and with regular hard street shoes on. He may have said that he rode a three speed too.

In the states, doing tree work in a shirt and tie just might attract customers. At least make the groundies dress like that.

That would be an awesome trip!
Really cool old bikes :)
Man I could sooooo get into a trip like that!

I am going to do something similar as soon as the bank account says I can.
The plan is 4 weeks around Europe, mostly camping just me and the wife.
On a bike ofcourse, preferably 1 of these
bmw_r1200gs_adventure_st4pz.jpg

Just ride defensively, I've lost count of the amount of times people have tried to kill me. TBH I don't even get wound up by it anymore, lifes too short for that silly shit.
You develop a sixth sense after a while, I rememberbeing on holiday once with my missus, bike fully loaded, was going a fair bit over the speed limit on a country road in the Lakes. Something in my head told me to roll it back a little. Came round the next bend to find it blocked by an accident, no way could I have stopped if I hadn't cooled it down. I have no idea what made me slow but it has happened a fair few times.

They are not trying to kill you, blue.
Just not paying attention.
Bikes are easily overlooked.
I rode bikes for 3 decades and even when driving a car today whenever I see a car coming out of a side road, I pay a LOT of attention, untill I'm sure it is stopping.
That is what kept me alive back then.

On a happier note, my neighbours just went to the Greek Islands for vacation and rented scooters.
They said that the locals were extremely courteous in traffic, and they had felt really safe all the time.
So maybe greece would make a nice place for a bike trip.

The wine and food is wonderfull down there as well.

I've heard from cyclists that the drivers in Italy are absolutely the worst. I almost was run over by a taxi last night. I went looking for him, but the best I could do was warn another taxi driver waiting at the train station that had nothing to do with it. :X

Here's the Gopro Chest mount, looking forward to trying it out in the tree.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/36125693?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="398" height="224" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Go back and read the replies to your last video.
I only watched ½ the video this time and counted 3 near misses, where the driver had to sverve in order to avoid oncoming cars.
It is not cool to get kids who are dependant on you and continue driving like this IMO.

Or Maybe I'm just getting old:|:

Probably just old, Stig. :)

Cool video Deav, looked like a fun winding route!

I won't ever ride street though, to much distractions in other drivers these days. Scary!

Thanks Fellas, Stig it's my pressure relief, Like Karate, that's dangerous.
As far as age, a few of them are in their 70's.

Brendon, it's closer by an hour to any legal dirt riding...

Back