Motorcycling.

There is a heck of a difference between trying to fit a V8 into a bike and making an engine for a bike IMO.

Moto Guzzi fiddled around with that in the 50es, trying to get their " Otto Cylindri" good enough to win the world championship.

As for 6 cylinders, BMW is nowhere near the inventor of that.

During the late 70es and 80es Kawasaki had their Z1300 ( incredible bike, friend of mine had one, it was abot 130 HP which is nothing today, but about 50 HP over anything else back then)
Honda had the CBX and Benelli had the SEI.

So nothing new, except that it being a BMW, it'll probably be build way better than those others.

Can't disagree with that.
But having opened the Z1300 all up in 3rd gear and lifted the front wheel off the ground is a memory I don't have of many of the bikes of that time.
That thing was a powerhouse. Sweden and I think Norway outlawed it.

To all you guys that think you would like to ride, remember, life will not last forever. Do it!

Dave

Have fun, go places, see things.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28903075?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0&autoplay=1" width="398" height="299" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

I'm uploading the one from this morning,
where we fly past these MG's and Ferrari's. I thought they'd be faster.

It's not even a match car vs. moto out there.
So slick and snotty today. Definitely felt both tires sliding a number of times.

Yes, Ed. That's the view from above my helmet. Gopro HD.
They fella in the Yellow helmet must be almost 65+ years old.

Here's me following Wade on his R1,
Chasing down MG's and Ferrari's.

One of the cars later spun out on a corner and
braked hard to keep from going off the cliff.

Ha?

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28908382?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="398" height="299" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

I thought those double lines meant you weren't supposed to pass?

Here's me following Wade on his R1,
Chasing down MG's and Ferrari's.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28908382?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="398" height="299" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Deva, I see this type of riding all the time.:what: It is one thing to zip past a car on the double yellow when it goes on for miles with no break. But to use the entire road, (both lanes) as if it were a closed course is just begging for a short life. That style of road use quickly becomes a habit for maintaning the "speed fix". You will become a much more skilled rider, with a built in buffer zone, if you limit your speed zone to just your lane. If you realy want to see what you and your bike can do, do a track day.

Dave

Now I've been thinking about this for the afternoon, usually I'm not that far up in the pack, but last time I got out fast and was a little surprised that the front guys are over the yellow as much as they are. But, I hear you guys and am listening. :)

Over here, you can do an advanced riding course with police motorcyclists. When they teach you to 'make progress' quickly cross country, they teach you to use the whole road. Buzz knows more about it than me, maybe he can chime in.

Deva, I see this type of riding all the time.:what: It is one thing to zip past a car on the double yellow when it goes on for miles with no break. But to use the entire road, (both lanes) as if it were a closed course is just begging for a short life. That style of road use quickly becomes a habit for maintaning the "speed fix". You will become a much more skilled rider, with a built in buffer zone, if you limit your speed zone to just your lane. If you realy want to see what you and your bike can do, do a track day.

Dave

Agreed on the track day. I really lost interest in going fast on the street after my first track day. It takes so many variables out of the picture and lets you concentrate on riding.

When people talk about bike safety at tracks, I think of Bubba Shobert coming around a curve at high speed immediately after a race and one of the other riders was stopped in the middle performing burnouts for the spectators. Bubba hit him and it ended his fine career, and nearly killed him...Bubba that is. A serious head injury, and very lucky to have made it.

Back