More on dogs

Burnham

Woods walker
My 361 came with the standard tiny, useless, sorry excuse for a single dog on it. That is the only complaint I have with the MS361, otherwise it's a splendid saw. Gasoline71-Gary-turned me on to the double dog set available from Stihl, comes with a ceramic chain catcher. It's the only optional dog set that Stihl offers for the 361...it's a big improvement, but not really up to snuff either. But I got it and have been more or less satisfied...I guess somewhat less :).

Fishhuntcutswood-Jeff-tells us he modded a set of big ol' PNW dogs for an 066 to fit his 361...thats not a bad way to go, but I hadn't got around to it and that seemed just a smidge overkill to me, but only a smidge.

In my foraging through the catacombs of the disbanded road crew shops, finding old saws salvageble and otherwise, I came across a beat to heck 038. It sported a 3/4 wrap handlebar and a set of big dogs.

Looking closely, it sure looked like the mounting geometry for the dogs was about right for fitting the 361.

Lo and behold...a tiny grind off the back side of the inner dog to clear a little bulge on the motor case and the 361 has a fine set of dogs!

The part numbers are etched on the inner and outer dogs...if anyone wants them I can post those, though I wouldn't be surprised to find they are not available from Stihl at this point. Might give another route to search them out, though.

Attachments

• IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    680.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    526.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0858.JPG
    464.4 KB · Views: 20
Those look wicked Burnham. I'd sure like those part numbers if you get a chance.8)

I can almost make out the one there from your pic but not quite.

Those big old meat hooks are a west coast thing . Not a big deal but you don't usually see a big old set like that in these parts .

I think Jeff did the same thing I did. I put 066 dogs on my 036. The outboard one sticks out maybe 3/16" further than the inboard. It only bothers you if you're totally insane, like me.:/: for normal people, it poses no problem. I've been using it since new, with no problems. All you would have to do is drill new holes and grind the back of the dog to fit the indentation in the outer cover. I'll never go back to a single, little dog again.

Attachments

• 036dogs.jpg
    036dogs.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 174
Nice dawgs. I detest the useless little ones that many of the smaller bore saws come with and have a bad habit of abusing the saw because of them.

I think Jeff did the same thing I did. I put 066 dogs on my 036. cover..

Nope, I got the same style Burnham has, but mine are five point. I had to redrill the outter dog, and grind out the middle slot a bit to get the outter dog to align with the inner, but they take the chain catcher and all.

This is the best pic I have now. I somehow lost all my friggin up close saw pics, so I'll have to go out in the garage and get some. But this is them-

How 'bout that 3/4 wrap!!!!!!

Attachments

• limbingr.jpg
    limbingr.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 15
Love dem dogs Burn... Wonder if they would work on my 036:/::D

Just did mine a few weeks back. Its actually a 360 but hey.

12122008744.jpg

Standard 660 dogs, little filing around the tank bulge and there you go;)

Those big old meat hooks are a west coast thing . Not a big deal but you don't usually see a big old set like that in these parts .

When you have to make stumps as low as we do here, big dogs just get in the way. Since you'll be cutting in the root-runout zone, the big dogs will cath on with only the one on the underside and tend to twist the saw.
I bought a set of west coast dogs for my 660 from Baileys just to try them out, but they didn't stay on the saw for long.
Looked really cool, though:D

I'll agree with Stig on this topic. Except for some of our live oaks, the trees just don't have thick bark here. The small dogs grab very well, TYVM, and don't rob lots of bar length. When making stump cuts at the root flare the outer dog usually gets in the way. I don't need big dogs to pry the saw around the log. The chain usually pulls itself through just fine as long as it's sharp and I'm keeping the bar level in the cut. Finesse, not force. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Brother Brian, proper dog use is all about finesse...prying is not part of the program.
:)

Point taken about loss of bar length...we make up for that by running those longer bars.
:D

When making stump cuts at the root flare the outer dog usually gets in the way.

Root flare!!!

I spent a couple of minutes searching through the english dictionary in my head, trying to come up with that term.
Had it right at the tip of my tounge, too.:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those look wicked Burnham. I'd sure like those part numbers if you get a chance.8)

I can almost make out the one there from your pic but not quite.

Sorry Justin, I clean forgot to pull the saw out and note those numbers...sure try to do it tonight and get them posted for you Friday.

Root flare!!!

I spent a couple of minutes searching through the english dictionary in my head, trying to come up with that term.
Had it right at the tip of my tounge, too.:D

Sorry, last big seminar I went to Al Shigo asked WTH was a root flare, he said roots dont have a flare, its a trunk flare. ;)

Sorry Justin, I clean forgot to pull the saw out and note those numbers...sure try to do it tonight and get them posted for you Friday.

Burnham, I checked the one number that showed in your pic and it is an 1119 series number which means it originally came out on an 038 like you said, and it is NLA (no longer available).

Nope, I got the same style Burnham has, but mine are five point. I had to redrill the outter dog, and grind out the middle slot a bit to get the outter dog to align with the inner, but they take the chain catcher and all.

This is the best pic I have now. I somehow lost all my friggin up close saw pics, so I'll have to go out in the garage and get some. But this is them-

How 'bout that 3/4 wrap!!!!!!

I still have the original set of 660 dogs that you sent to me. The ones that are modified to use on the 361. I used them until I got the Stihl "larger 361" dog setup that is on the saw now. At least if the big squishy hasn't taken them off of the saw... ;)

The modified 660 dogs are in my garage somewhere... they don't have the chain roller-catcher thingy on them... but they fit a 361, maybe an 036/360. If someone wants them... I would be glad to send 'em out so they can get some use. :)

But like I said... I gots ta find 'em first...

Gary

If anybody is interested, I know a guy on Vancouver Island up in BC who is making dogs for the MS200T. PM me if you want one and I'll give you his info. They look like this-

Attachments

• 200t dawg.jpg
    200t dawg.jpg
    572.5 KB · Views: 9
Back