Mini Chainsaws, suggestions on which model I should work on next?

TreeDPrinting

Climbing Arborist/3D printing guy
Hey everyone, I posted a similar post in the climbing forum, so I hope this isn't spamming. I've been modeling and developing 3d printed mini models of chainsaws. I've so far completed models based off the Husqvarna t540xp top handle (which I climb with), the classic stihl 200T, Husqvarna 450 ground saw, and the stihl 44 ground saw. I'm really enjoying the work, It takes me roughly a week of testing and messing with the printers to get a model ready for printing. I do sell them to cover the costs of the hobby, but It's a passion project at the end of the day. Any suggestions and feedback is welcome!

Www.TreeDprinting.com

Attachments

• 139070111_852834275281845_3284886197629321435_n.jpg
    139070111_852834275281845_3284886197629321435_n.jpg
    916.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210105_021822.jpg
    20210105_021822.jpg
    524.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210105_022413.jpg
    20210105_022413.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 11
Welcome! They're kinda cool. I like that they're identifiable, and not just generic saws. An echo 2511t would be a good addition I think. They have a pretty good following, and a distinctive form, so it would be different from the other saws.

This is very interesting. What material is it printed in after? Plastic?
Have you done any older saws?
If you just want attention you probably won't read this or reply..
If not you should try post this on chainsawcollectors.se and see if any members close you could scan vintage saws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is very interesting. What material is it printed in after? Plastic?
Have you done any older saws?
If you just want attention you probably won't read this or reply..
If not you should try post this on chainsawcollectors.se and see if any members close you could scan vintage saws.
They're all plastic PLA. Havnt done any older saws just yet, mainly focused on the ones I've used for work. Good idea, I'll see what they might say. Older saws are quite a bit easier to model than the newer curvy ones. Would be neat to go waayyy back

Welcome! They're kinda cool. I like that they're identifiable, and not just generic saws. An echo 2511t would be a good addition I think. They have a pretty good following, and a distinctive form, so it would be different from the other saws.
Yeah I think itd be fair to do an echo. Ill put the feelers out and see if anyone i know has something i could borrow. 10x easier with a smelly saw on my desk to reference.

Just an idea, but Tree Stuff might be interested in things like that. For either display in mini displays at shows. Or fun bling they can send with orders.
Little silly thing came to mind, like key chain trinkits for the chipper key or remember when you had trinkits you could add to a zipper key? Like on a jacket? Maybe for chainsaw pants? Just some silly ideas. But, I would contact Nick Bonner at Tree stuff and show him.

How robust is the plastic ? I’d luv to get a 3D printed intake for my 572xp so I can run a k2n filter lol 😂

Just an idea, but Tree Stuff might be interested in things like that. For either display in mini displays at shows. Or fun bling they can send with orders.
Little silly thing came to mind, like key chain trinkits for the chipper key or remember when you had trinkits you could add to a zipper key? Like on a jacket? Maybe for chainsaw pants? Just some silly ideas. But, I would contact Nick Bonner at Tree stuff and show him.

Would this likely become a Notch product, produced in-house?

Would there be intellectual property rights issue, if modeled after products?

OP could copyright the specific cad files for his designs, but there's nothing stopping anyone from making a clean room replication. Also, no official trademarks could be used from saw manufacturers; eg using a Stihl logo in sales materials, or making a full color replica using official logos. All pending enforcement of course. You can do anything you want til someone tells you to stop. You won't go to jail or anything, but you're also unlikely to win a court battle, and that expense is on top of rearranging your business to comply with copyright law.

Not entirely accurate ... I can copy an idea that’s patented right down to the length of the bolts and as long as it’s for personal use ain’t nobody got nothing to say about it ! However IF I try and SELL it THEN it becomes an issue

No , you are incorrect sir ... I suggest doing some further reading / studying into how the process works before you decide to “fix” another’s post - weak

I've spent a good amount of time reading about trademark/copyright/patent law. It's one of my esoteric hobbies since it directly relates to my use of computers. You should follow your own suggestion. Dumbass...

How durable are they for keychain use? I've known 3D printed stuff to easily break along the grain.
That was an issue initially, but I solved the problem by A) using 100% infil in the areas that would be taking the stress, B)beefing the model up in certain areas, and c) using s smaller keychain loop that is the weakest point in the system, so itll bend and pry open before damaging the keychain. Ive had them on my keychain since Christmas during work and pretty roughly handled, no problems and no complaints.

I've spent a good amount of time reading about trademark/copyright/patent law. It's one of my esoteric hobbies since it directly relates to my use of computers. You should follow your own suggestion. Dumbass...
Apparently you need to do further research ... D002804B-F1D8-4A8F-AA4F-18276BD332D0.jpeg these are log/chunk carriers that were fabricated here in the shop .... I can make as many of these as I desire as long as I do not SELL them commercially for profit .... jackass

That's called a cant hook, and the design's been around since at least the 19th century. Which patent do you think is relevant?

4A99395A-CAD2-4961-A4CB-F892425C50FA.jpeg This is a cant hook, used for rolling logs to finish cuts or ??? ... My design is used for carrying/lifting logs/chunks up to 18” ... Can you spot the difference?

Incorrect , it is technically a “log hauler” in its present configuration, however it CAN be made into a cant hook with the addition of a long pole , NO ONE with any common sense is going to use my tool (in its present configuration as shown above) to Roll, Turn and or Pry logs without a lever attached to increase the mechanical advantage, In fact the company that makes the 3in 1 tool calls their version a “log hauler” ... Go argue with them .... and have a nice day! ... 991BEB40-CCD4-4780-96C7-3C96AE2479EE.png

Last edited:
In a pinch you could use the log hauler to roll AND haul, whereas the peevee/ cant hook definitely cant drag logs like that. So you don't want to officially sell them due to copyright/ intellectual rights? I know with my 3d prints so long as there's no official logos and names It's just a non functional piece of plastic. Regardless, there are many folks online selling stickers and trinkets shamelessly flashing the brands, and nobody seems to have an issue. I think if I were to start a company selling knockoff stihls and brand them as stihls, then there would be an issue.

Back