Mini Chainsaws, suggestions on which model I should work on next?

A design change of 10% will get around any patent ... see Japanese motocross bikes of the 1980s šŸ˜†... IF a member here wanted one or better yet a pair they could be fabricated for $65/apiece .... anyways I wood be interested in a 3D printed intake for me hotwoods ported 572xp ... the fitment is rectangular on the bottom and it wood need to transition into a round 1.800 diameter

Last edited:
@Frankie

Where's the patent on that LogOxā„¢? There might actually be one, cause the patent office doesn't do it's job, but if I were particularly interested in selling a version, I'd be more than happy to go to court with them to determine how 'non-obvious'(a patent requirement) a 90Ā° handle is. In the meantime, you, or anyone else is free to sell a version as long as you don't infringe on their LogOxā„¢ trademark.

@TreeDPrinting

A lot people selling trademark infringing stuff are from China, and not worth pursuing for small stuff. It's the holder's option to enforce or not. They don't have to enforce every case, but they have to enforce some, or risk losing the trademark. All it requires is someone deciding they don't like what you're doing. A local construction company used a SupermanĀ® shield in their logo. They were taken to court, and had to change it.

Here is a pic of the 572xp intake ... Iā€™ve machined them from aluminum but itā€™s a rather time-consuming pita to do as 2 pieces need be fabricated and welded - the benefits are increased torque (about 7% on this model) and with the K/N filter with outerwears a guy can cut a hundred face cord or more before needing to service ... the stock filter is excellent on this model but I still grease around the lip - no ā€œo-ring fixā€ here šŸ˜‚ F31EB9C8-B269-4E64-B824-900C42393380.jpeg

@Frankie

Where's the patent on that LogOxā„¢? There might actually be one, cause the patent office doesn't do it's job, but if I were particularly interested in selling a version, I'd be more than happy to go to court with them to determine how 'non-obvious'(a patent requirement) a 90Ā° handle is. In the meantime, you, or anyone else is free to sell a version as long as you don't infringe on their LogOxā„¢ trademark.

@TreeDPrinting

A lot people selling trademark infringing stuff are from China, and not worth pursuing for small stuff. It's the holder's option to enforce or not. They don't have to enforce every case, but they have to enforce some, or risk losing the trademark. All it requires is someone deciding they don't like what you're doing. A local construction company used a SupermanĀ® shield in their logo. They were taken to court, and had to change it.
Of course there is a patent on the logox , a simple 10sec search wood reveal all the info you require /desire ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
A design change of 10% will get around any patent ... see Japanese motocross bikes of the 1980s šŸ˜†... IF a member here wanted one or better yet a pair they could be fabricated for $65/apiece .... anyways I wood be interested in a 3D printed intake for me hotwoods ported 572xp ... the fitment is rectangular on the bottom and it wood need to transition into a round 1.800 diameter
Would be awesome to help you out, but PLA has a glass transition temp between 50 and 80 Ā°C. Eventually I'll be able to print ABS with printer upgrades, with a more functional glass transition temperature of approximately 105 Ā°C.

Right-O ! Looks like a guy could obtain a flashforge adventurer 3 for under $400 which will 3D print using ABS , relatively cheep R/D tool for a gent that builds saws ... itā€™ll print 150x150x150 millimeters which is approx a 6inch cube , more than enuff for my purposes

Last edited:
Right-O ! Looks like a guy could obtain a flashforge adventurer 3 for under $400 which will 3D print using ABS , relatively cheep R/D tool for a gent that builds saws ... itā€™ll print 150x150x150 millimeters which is approx a 6inch cube , more than enuff for my purposes
If you've got some CAD background and don't mind troubleshooting continuously they're an absolute blast to play around with! ABS is one of the more difficult materials to print with for sure due to warping, PETG is my next step towards prints that can do some work. I can imagine for a saw shop it'd be a huge asset for prototyping dimensions and fit before manufacturing in metal. Those flashforge adventurers are easy plug and play I hear.

I know you're concentrating on saws / tree climbing gear ATM but it'd be cool to have a bucket truck, chip truck and pickup for truck keys at work.
I've got a crude 3d scanner I've made with an old xbox kinect. I'll be taking it to work soon and getting some raw scans of chippers and trucks. Hell, even the stump grinder.

They're all plastic PLA. Havnt done any older saws just yet, mainly focused on the ones I've used for work. Good idea, I'll see what they might say. Older saws are quite a bit easier to model than the newer curvy ones. Would be neat to go waayyy back
The older they get the larger they are. Not uncommon they are 2-3m and 75kg..
How big can be scanned?

The older they get the larger they are. Not uncommon they are 2-3m and 75kg..
How big can be scanned?
I'm using a home made scanner, so not very good resolution for chainsaws to be honest. I scan just to use as a size reference, then ill model from scratch. Bigger the better for scanning though!

Back