Mini skid transport

_Ryan_

TreeHouser
With my one man show business plan I am looking to pick up a mini skid. I plan on mounting my bandit 65xl on the front of my dump trailer since I have an old utility bucket. I had the crazy idea of fabricating a rack off of the front of my F-800 bucket. Just figuring on having the skid sideways on the front and having a ramp fold down. The lights on the truck would be blocked so I thought I would get a set of snow plow lights in front the mini. It might look a little different but I am usually pretty decent on the execution and fit and finish. I think with this set up could get enough equipment to a job fairly efficiently. My market that I am looking to serve is fairly wide spread Just looking for thoughts and opinions on this thanks!

That would reduce your turning radius quite a bit. Maybe a platform on the tongue of the trailer would be better. Or between the chipper and the dump section.

Another thing to consider is the extra weight added to the front end of your truck by putting a mini on the front, I've seen guys mount a small stump grinder but they are no where the weight of a mini. I think also to build a mount that would be strong enough to handle the weight would be quite the undertaking. Also with a dump trailer youre gonna have to extend the frame to fit your chipper there so you will not restrict turning but by doing all this you'll run into other problems, tough weight, position of axles(they tend to mount them further back than a flat deck). If it were me I would look into a flat deck trailer, mount the chipper on the front, adjust the axles so the trailer is balanced nicely when loaded and go from there. Just my thoughts. And welcome to the house.

Cheers
Ben

As others have said, that's a lot of weight on the steering axle, I'd do some math first. Willard has a great trailer set maybe he'll post some pics.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll have to check what the capacity is of my front axle. I was probably looking at purchasing a dingo. What made me think that it would be possible is what is the difference when a truck has a ten foot steel plow hanging six feet out from the front end and a 500 lb hydraulic pump hanging off of the front of the engine? I saw Willard's trailer too and I might have to go that route. I did build a 20 foot car trailer from scratch other than buying dexter axles. I have built my own skid attachments including a grapple, forks snow bucket and wood splitter. I swapped the hoist and pump from another truck to my chip truck. I'm Lucky enough to be able to do this myself and save a ton of dough. I do need to put more thought to a trailer like Willard's.

Welcome to the site, by the way!

It's not impossible, I've played with the idea before. To start with the design work properly, you'll need to know your front axle capacity, front axle weight, rear axle weight, wheel base and front overhang (distance from the front axle to the front bumper).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's an old line truck. Are ram rod mini skids any good? I found one, kohler gas and tracks for 6300 bucks?

Back