milling thread

How don't take this wrong but living in the heart of hardwood country as I do those little short pieces look rather odd .They're usable and all that just short .You gotta do what you gotta do though .:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Father in laws truck. I need to replace ball joints on mine

I finished assembling the 24' extension today. I've got 9 26'-28' and 11 47' logs to saw. I put a small log (28" tapering to 22", 27' long) on at 4:00 to take a few test nibbles to see how it was sawing. So far, so good.:)

bx24_2.jpg

It's a rarity to even find over 40 foot of clear hardwood log to saw let alone being able to saw it .

FWIW if I ever get back to my saw rig after a year or so of "honey does " I'll be able to handle 24 feet .

After thought .What's neat about being able to cut that long ,if a person were so inclined as to sell the stuff I'm sure a quarter sawn white oak keel plate for a boat would bring a premium price .Not everybody can first even find a good log let alone saw it .

We have found that it's the sourcing of the timbers that is the problem. Sawing is more straight forward.

Thanks for the compliments. We'll see how I do. I've only sawn over 20' once before.

:lol: You're going to need a crane to pull the planks off once you get them cut . Lawdy can you imagine an oak 2 by 12 47 feet long .About like lifting a Volkswagon .

Only about 600 pounds green.:lol:

Fortunately it's all white pine, and we'll be cutting the boards to preferred lengths before pulling them off the mill.

I am going to be looking at some black walnut to remove and am thinking about milling them up should be fun.

Black walnut makes for beautiful wood, just watch out for the dust.

Edit: Jay conveyed my sentiments. The slab that my desk top is made from was from a family cache of it. The grain and figuring in the wood is phenomenal, but with the age of the slabs (these were every bit of 40 years old post-milling, tree age every bit of 100+ years old from what I counted), it was a murder on my tools at the time I did the top with it being so well dried and hard/dense.

I am thinking big cants or slabs. Well we shall see when I look at the trees my buddy says they are big but I find that is all relative.

Jay, we have a 644 LULL, with 6,000 pound capacity, and a Samsung loader with 20,000 pound capacity, among other options. I'll probably move the logs to the mill with the loader, and do the finesse handling with the LULL.

Check around for customer millers/woodworkers in your area. I sold a black walnut tree once, one tree for 3g. I had a thread on it a couple of years ago, it was a nice log and limbs. I sold it to a guy who was having it custom milled and making grandfather clocks out of it, that's a value added removal imo.

Dave, impressive mill. I'm jealous. End of next week I'm td'ing two huge firs for around here and am going to try and atleast salvage short logs out of them, biggest I can move.

Sounds like a good idea I am going to be looking at them today so hopefully they are big enough to mill.

We sawed out four of the short logs today. Went fairly well, blew a hose, but that didn't keep us down for too long.

12"x17"x27'

bx24_3.jpg

Back