milling thread

Made it back to page 90 today. Might cover the other hundred one night or split it up in two parts.

I have not had the time to go through this thread. Would this be a good idea to mount a hand winch?

View attachment 81235
I have a question about your height adjustment mounts. Did they distort when you first tightened them down?
What is the wall thickness of your clamp tubes?
TIA

The clamps on the bar and uprights are medium thick wall. The slided have 2 nuts and bolts that tightnen down, same thing, not thin walled

Milling some linden in St Catherines, hit some square plastic deep in the log. About 24" wide

Next day black walnut in Caledonia. Almost 3' wide. Damn 088 started to run lean at the end. Front AV mounts were tore, I siliconed them together a week ago, some new ones arrived today, too late. Have to now figure out what I wrecked. :(

20190829_104856.jpg

20190829_122418.jpg

20190830_113552.jpg

I really don't think so. I kept it topped up at that point. The idle rpms surged with a full tank. My AV mounts were tore, noticed them just over a week ago. Hope it's just an impulse line. I keep a line and manifold on hand just in case. I should order up a fuel line.....

Have a look at the rubber boot between the carb and the cylinder. It's a good part to get a lean run and is over stretched when the anti vibs give away.

Turns out the top rear antivibe was tore as well. Replaced that and the manifold even though the old one looked great. Pressure tested impulse line and fuel line. Those were good. 088 still had no power in the cut. Turns out the inlet screen in the carb was plugged up, bad. The fuel filter was OEM and less than a year old.
My first 088 is back in service.

Nice to make it run again. I reckon that I rarely think at this little screen in the carb. I did had trouble with it by the past, but it doesn't want to come back to mind easily.:|:

Ah yes Bob, the mighty grasshopper by sumner. You can move some rediculous size pipe with one of those, i made a small log arch to go into backyards with some wheels from harbor freight. Better wheels that are larger diameter would work much better, but on dirt you almost need more than man power. I often wonder how a riding mower would do pulling one of those and pulling an arbor trolley. Tongue weight isn't really there, it's a matter of traction. That might hold me over till i can get a mini or something. Anyone try that yet?

The plan I had was to try this type of hauling arch a few years back. Maybe this winter when I'm back under a roof of sorts.
My buddy Jim has is 68' Cub with the loader kit back up and restored. He only has the 11hp iron single in it but the new Chevron rears tires should be a big help uphill or on wet ground. The 200+lb rear weight box, a scoop in the bucket and granny gear should do the trick. My 22hp V twin rider is way less machine than his in reality. I live in reality not fantasy or what your bil said. Ymmv

That did not work as planned :(
Seem my internet is messed up more than my autocorrect. :cry:
Fixed it and edited the post the best I could. :-/

Nice!

I looked at the homemade 42" bandsaw mill... To much of a project.

I don't weld.
Needs a craftier owner than me.

Hasn't run in a year.

Hoping I can encourage the guy storing it to tinker it up, if I help.

Milled 2 ash logs in Crystal Beach today. Had some issues with the air filter on the 088 clogging up. I have a spare pre filter. Would pantyhose work better?

20190911_124633.jpg

Funny smell from the plant on the left.

Ash is super dusty. A clogged filter is good, it means your filter is keeping those fines out of the engine. Maybe you need a huge oversized filter? I'm thinking Ash fines would get through panties and still clog the filter, otherwise it would be a good quick clean method to just pull of the pantyhoe and brush it off.

I'd use an oiled foam pre filter and keep a few on hand to swap out.

I haven’t personally milled any wood but at times do a lot of cutting ... Me 660 would require frequent cleanings especially cutting large red oak rounds - I imagine an 880 chainsaw milling moreso ... the solution was the max-flo oiled foam filter - 25 “cleanings” of the stock filter (remove cover , filter , tap filter to remove debris , hope no sawdust falls in carb throat , reassemble ) to 1 max-flow oiled filter ...also the max flo was superior to the stock hd2 in regards to fine-particulates getting thru into the carb ... sawdust will kill a Saw over time ... Well worth the coin from my perspective ...oh , and that plant on the left looks like a heavy cropper !

Echo saws seem well designed for pre filter dust removal. Maybe you need a cs800p, it would be a huge downgrade in power though.

I really think oiled foam pre filters are the best option. Hardly anything gets through. A shop vac sounds like too much hassle. A blower might work if you had a helper to run it.

Have you tried spacers and bar nuts, rather than leaving on your clutch cover? That was Jay's trick. IDK how it will affect sawdust. I was using a cardboard deflector to keep chips down from my face, but didn't mill very long with it. Shaping and taping it to the saw might help.

What about a gas powered fan? Get the smallest belt driven fan you can find 24" or 36", replace the electric motor with a clamshell chainsaw engine, then it can go anywhere and have a little more power.

Back