McCulloch Super 250 From Erik

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So. Hopefully Gary won't send jealousy vibes my way.... I was given a hardly used running Super 250. What to do with it? I can stare at it, Hide it in the shed. Find a new home for it OR.... Uncle Al since you are familiar with the crittur...... would it pull a long bar in big wood? I have the Homelite 650 that I run a 4 foot bar on for the occassional big 'un but if the 250 can pull 36 inches it might get a couple of outings a year.

That saw will pull a 36" bar with authority Justin. :)

Brian... sucks about the crappy customer service you got. All I have ever bought was old used stuff, or NOS stuff for old saws. Never had a problem. But also never had to get ahold of him after a sale.

Gary

On that long bar for the old Mac ,it probabley could handle 4 foot but I'd use 3/8" chain instead of .404 .That saw is 87 cc and around 6 HP more or less and it's got a lot of lugging power but it's not a speed demon .Use a 7 tooth gear .

The easiest thing to do is adapt a Stihl bar using spacers because you'll look high and low to find a decent OEM McCulloch bar .It's been decades since they made the large mounts bars and if they do pop up on flea bay they want a kings ransome for them.

If it's a spur drive ,they made rim drives which do pop up usually reasonable then you can run any size chain you want .

If you want to go that route and can't find a drive after a month or so send me a PM .I can probabley hook you up with one .

I miss read the post .The old Mac will handle a 36" .404 like childs play .Fact I have a super 44A which is an earlier version of that engine and in fact the bassis for the MC 10 kart engine .That saw came out of northern Michagan with a 36" which I now have on a gear drive Mac .

Al, I have an NOS McCulloch sprocket tip bar that is 28" long. It's the small mount. Think it could be modified to work on the Super 250?

Gary

I'll have to take a look see .I'm not certain if the tail is wide enough .

I've got a 28" NOS 10 series mount myself hard nose .Give me a day or so and I'll post what I find .

K... if you think it would work... I could send the bar to you to mill it out or whatnot. It's a brand new bar in the original packaging. Black bar with the big yellow "McCulloch" on it. Would look good on the 250.

Gary

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that bar will not work .The tail is too narrow .The oiler hole wouldn't fit at all and the tightning hole would be clear out riding to the bar groove .

I do know for a fact a mid size Stihl will work with modification .The size from
026 to 066 .I had a 32" Stihl bar on a 250 for a short period of time .To have to use round shims to take the 3/8" studs out to 12 MM ,kind of just a thick washer .You have to groove in an oil channel and redrill the tightening hole .

I'm certain they made large mount Mac 28" bars but all I've ever seen were 18" ,24" 32" 36" and 48"

On a flip note. I have bought used parts from Chainsawr and when arrived the old coils sometimes dont have juice anymore even though he said they tested good when shelved. Scott was right on it and shipped another he had in stock. I have put in orders for used stuff that was not listed on site and he would fill my order and ship. If something was wrong he was always quick to replace and get me the right part out pronto.

I just ordered a Chinese 372 standard carb cover for $10 to compare to a oem carb cover at $22. I should be safe on that unless the fit is all :O

You buy cheap Chinese stuff you get what you paid for cheap maybe work parts IMHO.

Back