McCulloch Super 250 From Erik

Coincidently I just got through installing a new Kitchen Aid this evening . Pity the fool that puts greasy old saw parts in mama Dars dishwasher .:\:

About those hole punchs .I have made countless sets from small hydraulic tubing .I mean small enough to punch holes for carb gaskets which are pain in the butt to make but possible .

On that old Mac there aren't that many to make and they are large anyway .Besides most times the old ones are reusable 95 percent of the time as a rule .

The last gaskets I made were for a Sears gear drive older than the hills a guy from Pa. gave me .

Alrighty then. Seems you are all set

Plus this one has a 5 year warranty on parts and labor. So I guess if I'm going to try and kill it, I should do it now. :lol::lol: But I dont need saws that clean anyways.

Just in case one of you yellow bleeders wants a new avatar. I touched up this old Mac sign that is FS to be used as such.

macsign.JPG

I dont know Butch, but there was a old mac here not long ago at a mini gtg and the bar had a bunch of them flying on the bar etched in some how.

Maybe it's a reminder of what to do when someone drops one from a tree? :D

I have no idea what's behind the goose ??? You have to remember though that Robert Paxton McCulloch was a tad eccentric .

Actually a very good friend of mine and his wife are spending the winter very near that part of Arizona for the winter . They tried to talk me into taking a leave of absence and joining them but I declined .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
USPS just dropped off a new (used) cylinder, piston and rod for a Super 250. The piston in the Erik saw was gouged up pretty good. Not to mention the cylinder is scored. I also got new crank seals. The flywheel side is installed, but now have to install the clutch side seal in the new cylinder.

More updates soon. I'm at work tonight and tomorrow night... So not sure how much I will get done in the next few days. :)

Gary

Well don't toss the old parts because if I'm not mistaken that most likely is a cast iron lined cylinder and I think Mac made pistons up to 30 thou over bore .Not a task everybody would undertake of course but a viable option for some . Trading stock if nothing else .

Oh... it's not goin' in the trash Al... now that I know how to pull these baby's apart, I might just look for a .030 piston and rings some day. Our mutual buddy Jacob J. has been helping me a lot with this build. Between the info from you and JJ... this is going pretty smooth. :)

Gary

:) Reed valve Macs can seem a little intimidating at first glance but once you get into them they aren't any more complicated than the average saw .Things are just done differently than what most are familar with on more modern saws is all .

Hey! Git back to practicing your scales and chords!

HA! I am mang. :) Fretting is a PITA... and I am getting a little better at strumming up and down, instead of always down.

Installed crank seals today, and now am cleaning up the inside of the fuel tank. Some corrosion to get rid of. Plus I need to JB Weld a hole in the bottom of the tank that was repaired with a big sheet metal screw and some rubber. :)

Gary

That hole in the tank is typical .That damned old cast aluminum is a sacrificing metal and over time it just disappears through galvanic action . The fuel and sometimes the oil tank suffer the most .

I had a gas cap on a 125 once that it took a pipe wrench to get loose it was corroded so badly .

Sooo... I am still getting parts for this saw. :lol:

The only thing useable from the original saw is the air cleaner box and cover, gas tank, and full wrap handle. I still need to "blast" all the crappy paint off of the parts I intend to reuse.

Just thought I'd bump this thread to get it back on track. :)

Gary

Oh there 's about a zillon parts that will work on that old coot .It's just a long stroke 80 cc to get 87 out of it .

I finally found standard size piston rings for it. They are as rare as hens teeth. Lots of overbore pistons and rings available. But I just wanted to make it standard.

Gary

Well that does seem to be a problem .It seems most NOS stuff is left over for over bores and very little new stock sizes exist .You stand a better chance of finding a none runner with good parts than just the parts by themselves .

I'm having the same problem looking for a standard "A" bore size piston for an 850 Mac and I' m damned sure not going to pony up 90 bucks for a piston .Hell I bought an entire 850 saw off of flea bay which runs like a top for a tad over 100 .

I bought a complete cylinder, piston, and rod from Chainsawr, in excellent condition for a steal. He said I bought it the same day he listed it. I was lucky as hell on that deal.

Gary

Scott gets so much stuff in often times he sells it before he can even get it listed on his site .The smart thing to do is E-mail him if you are looking for some thing .He will get it sooner or later .Good to deal with IMO .

So. Hopefully Gary won't send jealousy vibes my way.... I was given a hardly used running Super 250. What to do with it? I can stare at it, Hide it in the shed. Find a new home for it OR.... Uncle Al since you are familiar with the crittur...... would it pull a long bar in big wood? I have the Homelite 650 that I run a 4 foot bar on for the occassional big 'un but if the 250 can pull 36 inches it might get a couple of outings a year.

I was not happy after my dealings with chainsawr. I bought some new aftermarket parts for my Husky 372 including a new gas tank/rear handle assembly. The cheap Chinese molding was slightly off and the gas cap wouldn't fit, neither would a stock Husky gas cap. I had a couple other parts I bought that wouldn't work either. I emailed him several times and he completely ignored me. Seems he only answers emails from people who are ordering something. No such thing as service after the sale. I will never buy anything else from him and I will discourage anyone else from giving him one thin dime. He's a thief.

Back