McCulloch Super 250 From Erik

GASoline71

'cause chicks dig scars
I just got this saw last night from Erik (NeTree). After a crappy ordeal with UPS it arrived in one piece. I'll hopefully be startoing into it soon for a teardown and rebuild. It's got a McCulloch "Flatback" carb in it... so I'll prolly be installing a Tillotson HL and customizing the linkage. That's what I did on the 640 I got from Brian.

So I will be givin' it a good cleaning and then start the teardwon process. I'm gonna tear this one down to the shortblock, and prolly even repaint it. I'll keep the progress updates in this thread.

So far I have one pic of it sittin' on my bench with the air cover off. :)

THANKS AGAIN ERIK!!! 8)

Stay tuned...

Gary

Attachments

• Super 250 003.JPG
    Super 250 003.JPG
    281.7 KB · Views: 10
You ought to see the ordeal I just went through with USPS. Saw was lost for 4 weeks and the tracking numbers didnt do any good.

Finally one day my carrier has this plastic USPS mail sorting box with a saw in it to deliver to me. I was just glad the saw made it even though damaged.
Evidently it had come out of the box it was shipped in. It was busted up some and and had missing extra parts like cylinders, pistons etc that was in the box.

That's an 87 cc reeder .One if not the best reeder Mac ever made ..BTW the color is OSHA safety yellow .Take a peek at Mike Acres site and look up Mac SP 105 which is my saw pictured .That is 35 year old paint with the exception of the muffler guard which is repainted .Pretty darned close considering .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool Al... that was one of my questions I was gonna ask you. I remember you had mentioned a yellow color that was close to McCulloch factory color, but wasn't sure which color it was.

Also... you wouldn't happen to have an IPL for this thing would ya?

I've been lookin' for a Super 250 to have as a project for quite some time. Pretty cool that Erik had one he wanted to let go. :)

Gary

I think I do .If so I'll fire it off in PDF to your e-mail if it's the same as before .If I don't have it on PDF I'll have to scan it from the big book .

It's an rch different but not much .I don' have super 250 on PDF,just checked so I'll scan it as soon as I get time .Mac IPL's aren't too bad,maybe a dozen sheets as opposed to Stihls which could be thirty . What I will do though is send along the "master" IPL in pdf that covers the 200 and 300 series ,in addition to the scanned 250 Super .Between the three you should be able to get an idea of what might interchange should you need parts .

Now you did it Gary, your going to get Uncle Al: all worked up :D

Good luck with your new baby. I've jumped ship for the time being , been working on 4 strokes. Just did another brush mower deal with a Honda 8hp. Engine wouldn't start because the exhaust valve wasn't set right , rocker was set wrong and came loose so the valve wouldn't open or close . Cheap fix for me on that deal. Gonna see if I can get some Briggs engines going, almost got 2 ready to fire up. Working on saws has been helpful for this little project.

A little paint... a little bondo... good as new!

Never did fill the fuel tank, but it ran for a few seconds at a time when fuel was dumped down in the carb.

Looking forward to seeing it restored, G. :thumbup:

It'll run . Most likely it's that old flatback POS carb they used for a while .

I think that guy from sugarcreek supply might sell a kit for it .

If I'm not mistaken that 87 cc engine was a version of the MC 10 kart engine only without a removable cylinder head .At any rate most of the internal engine parts are the same .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got some tear down accomplished tonight. Lots, and lots, and lots of ancient grime on this puppy. :)

Need to fabricate a flywheel puller for the huge flywheel. Unless someone knows how to get one off without a puller. Also it has some scoring on the piston on the exhaust side. I know I can get another piston and rings for it. Even if the piston is used...

Anyhoo... lots of work to do...

Gary

Attachments

• Super 250 001.JPG
    Super 250 001.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Super 250 003.JPG
    Super 250 003.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Super 250 005.JPG
    Super 250 005.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Super 250 002.JPG
    Super 250 002.JPG
    267.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Super 250 004.JPG
    Super 250 004.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Super 250 006.JPG
    Super 250 006.JPG
    259.6 KB · Views: 4
I don't know if it'll work for you, but when I had to get the flywheel off my 394XP, I put a big prick punch in the center hole in the crank and whacked it hard with a biggish hammer. Obviously, you need to do this on the ground, or somewhere where the saw can slide around so the inertia will unstick it from the taper. A center punch might have too wide an angle, and deform the center hole a little. I guess you'll have to start out easy and see how it goes.

A standard bar puller will work but you have to kind of improvise .It could either have 1/4" -20 threads in the flywheel but a few of them used bastard size #12-24 . They must have had their head in ass to use that size because they strip out .The good news on that is if they do they leave the exact size to run a 1/4 -20 tap through .

If it is 1/4" 20 already you have to use about 3 1/2 or 4 inch long bolts to get the job done or at least I did because of the design of the puller .It also helps the heat the very center of the flywheel hub with a heat gun to expand the aluminum .

Worse case scenerio you could thump it off by smacking the crankshaft with a dead blow hammer but I hate to do it that way .

After thought .If the thing has fire I personally wouldn't fool with that flywheel .Generally speaking the seals on a reed valve Mac almost last forever

Gary and Al here is the Mac 805 I was telling u2 about. :D

Cell phone pics dont do it any justice, looks like new.

mac805b.jpg mac805.jpg mac805a.jpg mac805c.jpg

I'm going to try and make sure this 805 ends up in Al Smith's hands or it will just end up as a shelf queen at my place.

I'm just not a Mac guy (this is the 1st mac I have owned, oops 2nd one does the 38cc one from Mexico count that I took in on trade one time :lol: ) and he is the real deal when it comes to Mac yellow. Just think Al you wont have to paint this one. ;) :D

My bud bought a Mac of that vintage brand new in the late 70s early 80s. I was impressed with it then and it still isn't a bad saw. Forget the number but about 60cc. Sad Homie and Mac went to hell. They used to be the Ford and Chevy.

Well as far as Macs I'm certainly not the worlds expert by any means .However these are what I cut my teeth on so to speak so obviously I'm more familiar with them than most .

As soon as I get the time I'm going to start a thread on the 10 series so as not to distract from this one .The 81 cc piston port Macs are just a larger version and more advanced than the old standby 10-10's that everybodies granddaddy had at one time .

Now what kind of sucks about this is two different projects going at the same time .I have tons of IPL's etc and am having a deal of a time getting them sent .Forking 'puters anyway .:(

Back