McCulloch 797

Myrtle creek is only an hour 15 away from me. I'll be toolin through there the next couple weekends if you need something picked up

I think old Rich might have owned Myrtle Creek saw shop and might have sold it but stayed on as manager .At least that's what I heard .It's been a couple of years since I talked to him . I think JJ lives around there some place too .

I figured about as much . That's where the saw in my avatar came from .After I refurbished it I sent him a picture.He couldn't believe it .:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not planning on a restoration. Just clean it up and replace some of the cracked pieces and such.

I gotta figger out the oiler on this thing too... it's not oiling. Might just need to be torn down and cleaned, and pumped up.

Gary

It's an exterior mounted impulse driven piston pump on the automatic portion and a standard thump operated pump on the manual part .

Before you do anything pump about a half a tank full of kerosine through the system .That gets it most of the time .If not the pump could be full of petrified bar oil from sitting 25 years .

There is a screw on the auto pump which limits the piston travel in ,lesser oil,out more .Operating properly that thing will literally sling oil off a 48" bar .

I'll bet the "greenies" just love those old things .:lol:

HA! I bet Al...

How about the ignition/coil setup? This one does fire off a nice fat blue spark... but the plug wire and boot are pretty rotten.

Gary

Hey Al... I found this website while searching for info on 797's...

http://www.kartsandparts.ca/store/home.php?cat=135

I'm sure that these parts for the kart engines will work on 125's and 797's. Imma thinkin' about makin' a real cutter out of this thing since the engine is based on the kart engine and so forth.

Might even make a competition stock saw for competitions here in WA. Need to learn to file a "race" chain.

Gary

I'll have to look at a large Mac coil in the AM Gas.But ithink it might screw out the end .I have a couple in one of my drawers in the garage .If nothing else just tape it up with rubber tape if you can find some or just Scotch 33 ,It won't get ya .That thing has that rubber boot gizmo over the plug in the cover or did have at one time .

For that matter I've spliced a modern graphite wire into them and it works just fine .

A lot of kart engine parts are exactly the same .

Now about running that old war horse in comp. It won't do worth a hoot unless it's on a big cut,then it will shine .That thing is a torquer,not a rever and a good running 70 cc will outcut it on cants .Then again you west coasters do make the big cuts .

Still I'm afraid running against an 084 or 3120 you don't stand much of a chance as a stocker--been there .;)

The class at the Buckley Log Show is a Limited Stock class.

30" cottonwood (same log we use for the V-8's). No modifications to the mufflers or carbs, and has to have the original starter rewind. Fuel is supplied by the Log Show. SO no "hot" gas.

Lots of Stihl 090's in the comp, and one 084 that I know of. A few Husqvanas too...

So the class is very limited to what you can do... the better chain filers are the ones that come out on top in this class.

Gary

Back