Looking to increase A. M. Leonard's Arborist equipment sales

Please explain how. I'm curious.

Back when I started in this business a rock was a good throw-weight. Graduated up to wrenches and sockets. It kept getting better after that.

RopeKnight answers exactly its purpose.
RopeKnight with its optimal geometric form, smooth near frictionless finish, adaptablilty, multi-purpose-abiltiy(5x) and customise-abiltiy is more than a throw weight, it is a task specific rope access tool.
Plus the all new RK "Lightning" for use at low level lighting/nite time use and soon to be audible feature is another great reason arbclimbers value it. You don't have to wait for the sun to come up now.

In terms of safety and engineering it is an improvement. Enough to matter to the average arbclimber?
For me and my operations and the many I have communicated, worked and shared with, it is a welcome and appreciated
alternative to the classic throw weight.

Ropeknight is guaranteed for life and Proudly independent. Rugged, reliable and designed specifically for fast,easy and smooth rope and line positioning by a professional Arborist/Horticulturist/tree service owner/family man/inventor and human of average intelligence:lol: who was just entirely interested in throwing a wrench/all metal object into the traditonal system.

I believe it is a good and positive change and so do other manufacturers and distributors, exemplified by their promotion of non toxic lead-free throw weights.

Happy to answer any more questions or clarify any points.
Cheers

Always cool to see new ideas and change. Couple things though.

- I would never want have to carry a fid with me. I would lose that in a heartbeat.

- Is there a better option to using a screw to tighten that down? What if its warm out and I don't have a jacket on? Then I have to grab another tool...

- I am worried enough about sending a bean bag through a window. A metal throw weight is only going to increase the odds of me breaking something.

I would also suggest having staff members that know how to climb and understand rigging would be a plus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool Gerry

Will you start a new thread?

or

is it Ok with you, HortGuy to continue with
the throw weight discussion?
Cheers

Sure, it would be great to continue the discussion here, the new Sherrill throw weight looks promising.

Hey FJR thanks for having a look at it and bringing to light your concerns. I hope the following helps.

Regarding the Fid; The fid is one of a few ways. A better and easier option is to wax or super glue or similar to stiffen the lines end to make it easier for insertion thru the tip. I do not use the fid but once a month m/b. I sure am happy to have it in my throw kit box when it is needed. Usually when I want to insert the dyneema loop to mimic the ring of the classic throw weight.

Regarding the screw; I use my pant zipper fly most often, leatherman multi-tool and more than once a hard wood chip. The screw keeps it simple and easy. We over engineered the the first few prototypes and boy where they cool in a Batman kind of way. The idea is to have no superfluous parts. 4 working parts(bolt,weight and two cones) is the best we can do and still be able to provide a LifeTime Guarantee.

Regarding the concern for breaking something; throw it wisely, throw it true and move anything that can be moved.
I ahve no problem throwing RK at trees over or near homes and vehicles. The protective sleeves do a great job of protecting non-targets plus the retrieval and positioning is smooth, easy and predictable.
RopeKnight and system is safer by design.

An all metal weight or metal wrapped in a bag? Side by side, the differences are obvious but in terms of purpose and performance can you visualize the advantages?:)

Cheers
Thomas

RE; The Ropeknight, I don't get it. It looks slow to attach, $$$, and has to many, small, easy to lose parts.
I can attach and detach my throw bag 10X before you would have the RK attached once, but that might just be me.:dontknow:

Hey ropearmor, why dont you send Burnham one to try out, he can play with it and send it around to other members. You can start a thread, and we can all offer feedback. If its truly a step forward after trying one most people would likely be a little less price sensitive and a more receptive!

Thats why you should send him one. If you could convert a hardcore skeptic that would impress people...If you got the endorsement of one of the most respected tree men around that would certainly move some product.

Knowlegable persons who have tried it thoroughly last year, whose judgement I trust, have reported serious shortcomings. Most of those shortcomings have been detailed in this thread in recent posts. Your response to those criticisms has not convinced me in any way that you are right and the criticisms are wrong.

I'm not out to denigrate the product...but you asked a straitghtforward question, and I'm giving you a straightforward answer.

Serious short comings have been addressed succinctly to the best of my ability.

I believe there is no right or wrong. An improvement to the classic tool and system is all that matters.

Mitigating hazardous situations, removing Toxic Lead from the industry, putting time and money back into the pockets of throwliners, making throwing and positioning ropes smooth, fast, easy and enjoyable is truthfully what I care to share with the community.

Please, Burnham I would like a second chance.
See and experience for yourself. What do you say?

Thomas

I ordered lots of stuff from Leonard through the 70's and 80's. Always good service and for the day great catalogs.

Same with me. AM Leonard was the only way for me to get the gear when I needed it back then. They still have good stuff but like Brian said they have just the basic gear for a guy who is just starting out or maybe a landscaper who wants to get into trees as sideline. It is good to see the company wanting to expand it's line for the arborist trade.

Please I would like to address a few of your concerns.
Attach and detach of throwline is as fast as a traditional throw bag. It can be configured with an exterior ring.
If you want to do a smoother snag free internal connection, it takes a lil practice and is quick and easy to do.
Insert line into cone, thread thru hole, thread bolt and secure throwline, good to throw. Really 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other.

With regards to cost.
How many throwbags are you replacing monthly/yearly/ or in a career? 2 to 3 mb?
How many throwlines are being retired due to wear and tear from snagging, jamming? every year or more?
How much time is lost with jams, snags, torn and busted bags? Consider the cost of employees and general frustrations with setting lines? Once a week, daily 10x a year?

I can't do your specific situation mathematics but with my own operation with the use of RopeKnight it equates to a SAVINGS of approximately $ 4 000.00 per year. Thats cash money in the bank!
How are the numbers adding up for you? More or less?

Comparing apples to apples. Not really the RopeKnight is 5 TOOLs in ONE.

1 Task specific projectile OK throw weight,
2 TIP isolation tool,
3 RopeShield is a pull handle,
4 endline Knot smooth over and finally as
5 throwline to access rope knot smooth over x 2, large and small RopeShield
6 set and retreeve friction savers.

Losing parts is what it is. Becareful, have a back up and have a place and system for keeping your Rk at the ready.

Your 10x attach and detach throwbag. Is this a challenge you want to make? If so I accept.

I will make a vid and post before the week is over.

Knowlegable persons who have tried it thoroughly last year, whose judgement I trust, have reported serious shortcomings. Most of those shortcomings have been detailed in this thread in recent posts. Your response to those criticisms has not convinced me in any way that you are right and the criticisms are wrong.

I'm not out to denigrate the product...but you asked a straitghtforward question, and I'm giving you a straightforward answer.

Please take the following words in the friendliest manner imaginable, and I respectfully submit my reply.

Knowledgeable persons you trust? Who?
Tried it thoroughly? I would say unsuccessfully and for what reason?
Serious short comings? Sure there are flaws but the net gain is overwhelmingly positive.
Right or wrong? It is not a competition, it is about technologically improving a tool and system. One will never replace the other.
Convincing you is up to you not me I only present my solution to the problems.
Straightforward answer? It is difficult for me to ascertain what is your answer.

The tools and systems we use reflect on us. Unicender, Wraptor, Lockjack, Singing Tree etc
We have freedom to use technology to improve our world.
We have freedom to challenge the limits
We have freedom to change or resist what is around us.

A throw weight that does exactly what we ask of it. Fly true, bypass obstacles-thru the crown to the ground in all directions, and position ropes smooth, fast and accurately.

Cheers

Thomas, you can have all the chances you wish :). But frankly, beyond the Rope Shield function, which makes perfect sense to me as a useful item, I cannot make myself want to even try it.

I am seeing a throw weight that will ricochet mercilessly, and I'm not convinced by your counter that the only thing it will hit in the tree are small diameter branches that will only deflect it and not generate strong bounces off line. I'm certainly not convinced that it will pull free when it does wrap around branches, that defies logic, since in my experience it's the throwline that causes the issue in this situation, not the weight.

I am seeing a throw weight that will be difficult in the extreme to launch with a BigShot, and I'm not convinced by your assertion that careful placement in the "hammock" will take care of this...my BS has a deep pouch shape...no way would the RA fit in it properly at all.

I am seeing a throw weight that will be dangerous to objects around the target tree and to the user himself, and use of the foam cover would seem to negate most of the advantages you tout for the device. Your response that we should move breakables, throw carefully, etc. is laughable to me. Success with throwbag is at best 60-70% skill and the rest is luck. You must be way more lucky than I :).

For the trees I commonly would work in, 12.5 ounces max. weight simply isn't heavy enough to bring the throw weight down in many cases. 14 or 16 is more commonly needed.

The fiddly nature of all the bits and pieces just doesn't appeal. And on your website videos you seem to be implying that I'd want two of them to properly isolate branches. Twice as many little parts to keep track of.

For me to spend the kind of money this item costs, I need to be enthusiastic about the likelyhood it'll prove worthwhile...and that simply isn't the case here.

Of course, I could be wrong...see my sig line :D.

Thomas, you can have all the chances you wish :). But frankly, beyond the Rope Shield function, which makes perfect sense to me as a useful item, I cannot make myself want to even try it.

makes perfect sense to position ropes but not as a device that its primary purpose is exactly that, “Positioning”. Position, retrieving and isolating confused.

I am seeing a throw weight that will ricochet mercilessly, and I'm not convinced by your counter that the only thing it will hit in the tree are small diameter branches that will only deflect it and not generate strong bounces off line. I'm certainly not convinced that it will pull free when it does wrap around branches, that defies logic, since in my experience it's the throwline that causes the issue in this situation, not the weight.

Ricochet is insignificant in terms of use. The key is its ability to pierce the crown and bypass obstacles up down and all around. I know where you are coming from and the good news is the RK excels at this most important duty. RopeKnight is less of factor with limb wraps than a throw bag, arguing anything different defies logic

I am seeing a throw weight that will be difficult in the extreme to launch with a BigShot, and I'm not convinced by your assertion that careful placement in the "hammock" will take care of this...my BS has a deep pouch shape...no way would the RA fit in it properly at all.

Yes it is true I had the old pouch and flubbed quite a few shots, again set it in squarely and you are off to the races

I am seeing a throw weight that will be dangerous to objects around the target tree and to the user himself, and use of the foam cover would seem to negate most of the advantages you tout for the device. Your response that we should move breakables, throw carefully, etc. is laughable to me. Success with throwbag is at best 60-70% skill and the rest is luck. You must be way more lucky than I :).

Treat it the same way as a throwbag with the added confidence that it will respond as expected. Smooth, fast, safe and easy positioning. Apples to oranges Burnham I think you need to feel the difference. Primarily performance and handling. Luck is for horse shoes this is a precision tool designed to do what we ask of it

For the trees I commonly would work in, 12.5 ounces max. weight simply isn't heavy enough to bring the throw weight down in many cases. 14 or 16 is more commonly needed.

RopeKnight has a max weight of approximately 16 oz, weight is customizable. The Rk is faster and smoother and therefore makes it to the ground without any excess weight/friction. Add another bag or hammer or wrench just know that Rk is technically the best form and finish to position or isolate tie in points.

The fiddly nature of all the bits and pieces just doesn't appeal. And on your website videos you seem to be implying that I'd want two of them to properly isolate branches. Twice as many little parts to keep track of.

Ideally two is better than one in the big ol dirty trees. Fiddly parts, come on Burnham its easy peasy with a bit of practice. Tying knots is arguably just as or more difficult depending on the knots you use. Personally and what I am hearing from the ones who are using it, they find thumbing a bolt a good alternative to fiddling with thin lines and knots

For me to spend the kind of money this item costs, I need to be enthusiastic about the likelyhood it'll prove worthwhile...and that simply isn't the case here.

What is worth getting excited about is fast, accurate, smooth, easy and safe RopeKnight experience. Consider again your 1st statement Burnham RopeShield makes sense and that is the essence of it all. It is a beautiful engineered tool that does exactly its purpose. The cost is what it is and anyone who is in the biz of manufacturing/marketing and all that will attest the price is exceptionally reasonable.

Of course, I could be wrong...see my sig line :D.

Being wrong, right, best or whatever does not add to the conversation. I value your input and appreciate the criticism. It helps me to focus and evaluate the RopeArmor message. I am listening and processing the info and hope that I am doing my best with the information you and many others have shared. We may look at the problems and the solutions differently. In the end throw liners have a choice. The classic tools or a technological improvement. Zig or Zag.
Happy for the conversation :)

Originally Posted by Burnham

Thomas, you can have all the chances you wish . But frankly, beyond the Rope Shield function, which makes perfect sense to me as a useful item, I cannot make myself want to even try it.

makes perfect sense to position ropes but not as a device that its primary purpose is exactly that, “Positioning”. Position, retrieving and isolating confused.

I'm not confused...the only useful aspect of the device, to my eye, is the ropeshield. You may insist all you wish that the rest is so, but I disagree.

Ricochet is insignificant in terms of use. The key is its ability to pierce the crown and bypass obstacles up down and all around. I know where you are coming from and the good news is the RK excels at this most important duty. RopeKnight is less of factor with limb wraps than a throw bag, arguing anything different defies logic

Word I get from some who have tried it is in direct conflict with your statement re ricochets. Piercing the crown has no effect on bounce when the solid projectile hits a solid surface. I.m not going to argue about the limb wraps, we'll just have to accept that we disagree diametrically.

Yes it is true I had the old pouch and flubbed quite a few shots, again set it in squarely and you are off to the races

Perhaps...but I remain unconvinced. The new style is a deep pouch form as well. The geometry and balistics are all wrong for that shape to be launched from that pouch. Trials would be the only way to change my perception, in which case I'd be happy to say I was incorrect.

I am seeing a throw weight that will be dangerous to objects around the target tree and to the user himself, and use of the foam cover would seem to negate most of the advantages you tout for the device. Your response that we should move breakables, throw carefully, etc. is laughable to me. Success with throwbag is at best 60-70% skill and the rest is luck. You must be way more lucky than I.

Treat it the same way as a throwbag with the added confidence that it will respond as expected. Smooth, fast, safe and easy positioning. Apples to oranges Burnham I think you need to feel the difference. Primarily performance and handling. Luck is for horse shoes this is a precision tool designed to do what we ask of it

If it were to respond as I expect it to, confidence would be lower, not higher. I'm talking about throwing the thing, not positioning, not handling. If luck doesn't play some role in your success with throwweights and line, then you are far better at it than anyone I have ever seen.

RopeKnight has a max weight of approximately 16 oz, weight is customizable. The Rk is faster and smoother and therefore makes it to the ground without any excess weight/friction. Add another bag or hammer or wrench just know that Rk is technically the best form and finish to position or isolate tie in points.

You may want to update your website. As of this morning, it told me 12.5 oz. was max. In my experience, it is weight of the throwbag and the amount of throwline it must drag, and friction level experienced by the cord over the limb or limbs it crosses, that govern how well it returns to the ground...not the shape of the weight.

Ideally two is better than one in the big ol dirty trees. Fiddly parts, come on Burnham its easy peasy with a bit of practice. Tying knots is arguably just as or more difficult depending on the knots you use. Personally and what I am hearing from the ones who are using it, they find thumbing a bolt a good alternative to fiddling with thin lines and knots

I suppose this is a matter of personal preference...in my view, it would be a real bother to deal with all the bits and pieces...unless I were of the opinion that the RA was sufficiently better at the task to warrant the trouble. Unfortunately, I am not convinced of this, so all the small parts equal a drawback not balanced by performance improvments.

What is worth getting excited about is fast, accurate, smooth, easy and safe RopeKnight experience. Consider again your 1st statement Burnham RopeShield makes sense and that is the essence of it all. It is a beautiful engineered tool that does exactly its purpose. The cost is what it is and anyone who is in the biz of manufacturing/marketing and all that will attest the price is exceptionally reasonable.

You misunderstand me, Thomas. It's not the cost that waves me off, it's the cost without sufficient benefit to warrant it, for me. I don't question that the cost is an accurate reflection of what it takes to put a RA in my hands, not at all. The rope shield by itself is a far cry from the rest of the package, and to my way of seeing things, is not the essence, it's the only useful part of the whole. I was interested to see you will sell it alone...I could perhaps get behind that idea for my own kit. You are "excited about the fast, accurate, smooth, easy and safe RopeKnight experience". I am not, and your saying I should be will never make it so by itself.

Of course, I could be wrong...see my sig line .

Being wrong, right, best or whatever does not add to the conversation. I value your input and appreciate the criticism. It helps me to focus and evaluate the RopeArmor message. I am listening and processing the info and hope that I am doing my best with the information you and many others have shared. We may look at the problems and the solutions differently. In the end throw liners have a choice. The classic tools or a technological improvement. Zig or Zag.

Happy for the conversation :)

As am I, Thomas. Much appreciate the chance to communicate with you. Please see my replies to your comments, underlined in the above quoted post.

...Regarding the concern for breaking something; throw it wisely, throw it true and move anything that can be moved.
I ahve no problem throwing RK at trees over or near homes and vehicles. The protective sleeves do a great job of protecting non-targets ...

Cheers
Thomas

Oh dear, you've obviously never met someone like me...'take cover' would be a good shout when my throw bag comes out of the truck...

Back