Looking for opinions/suggestions about my first mini skid

Tarzan

TreeHouser
Just purchased a used toro dingo tx 420. I am stoked, and will be getting a bmg next. The tracks on it are pretty worn and after looking online, I see there are a lot of different types for it. What do you all use? Also, I am kicking around ideas for transporting it, and will probably end up fabbing my chipper to haul it, but in the mean time short term ideas on hauling it. I know that a lot of this info can be found by searching, which I have done, but just wanted to see if I have missed something. Many thanks!

Buy a set of ramps and haul it in the chip box short term.

Seems with tracks you need to decide if you want traction or service life by the tread pattern you pick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems with tracks you need to decide if you want traction or service life by the tread pattern you pick.
I want both :) I was thinking the same thing about hauling in the chip truck. Thanks!

Also wondering if anybody has fabbed up their own platform to stand on one of these?

Yeah folks have made platforms or sulkies for pretty much any mini.

We are a Camoplast dealer, we could ship your tracks with a snazzy BMG!

Congrats on your loader! I think fabricating something to haul the dingo on the chipper would most likely be the most convenient long term, I do suggest checking the weight rating of the chipper tires before you do any design or fab work. I've had one too many lessons blowing up tires myself. In the meantime, you could purchase or fab some ramps to haul it in the chip box or on your trailer. I think if I go the mini route, I'd fab a platform on the tongue of my dump trailer.

Thanks. I am thinking if my chipper is fabbed that I will have to add another axle. I am wondering if anybody has ever tried transporting a mini like those forklifts you see on the backs of trucks?

Those forklifts are built around doing that, I'd guess. Hella tail weight.

The one driver, chipper, chip truck and mini show.

What is your dumping situation? How often do you have to dump offsite? Can you fit your machine in the box heightwise? Mine fits by 1". front end first, with a load (bmg/ bucket with weight, or I could hang a weight/ log off the mounting plate if for some reason I didn't have the grapple or BMG.

Got my ramps at Discountramps.com, on Carl's recommendation. The nice thing about having them is that I can bridge gaps, and theoretically use them for traction on a hillside where otherwise I couldn't. What I actually have done was offloaded out of my forestry bed to beyond a 2' soft retaining wall. I'll get you a picture if wanted. My welder fabbed hook-end ramp brackets on the back, just below the door out of scrap angle that I had, but if buying new material, probably channel iron, I'd guess, would be easiest and cheapest.

If you have a man-cab, you could maybe mod that area of your truck, if you have to dump offsite often.

There could be a way to put a simple, as needed, divider into the bed of the truck, mini on one side, slide in plywood wall to hold chips on the other. This is getting me thinking...a motivated person could divide the bed for the mini at the rear end of one side, with some gear or chip capacity toward the cab-end of the chip box.

What is your truck and chipper combo? Can your road access handle a long tongue chipper/ mini trailer on a chip truck?

My ramps were about $1200 to my local freight hub. 10' long, fits in the chip box, accommodates the high load height of chip box. Easy to chain up onsite for leaving them secured. They would conceivably float, I can't think of how that would help. 10,000 pounds per axle rated.

Weld some d-rings for tie-downs.

If your floor is not flat, you will not be able to load it wherever you want. Check that your tracks accommodate any major irregularities. My box has those strengthening bends on the floor and sides, and angle iron across the top. My tracks are 9".

You may be able to get away with a single 7k axle. You could even do a 10-12k axle but it would then be on duals. Not sure what your chipper weighs but a dingo and BMG is what 2000-2200?
I'm taking a shot in the dark here, but I think supporting a mini by the loader frame like a forklift would end up breaking it. I could be wrong. Good idea to transport it on the back and keep tongue weight off of your truck. Perhaps you could build a frame under the chipper with a platform on the back of the chipper that lays flat and can be folded up behind the chipper tray like a single trailer ramp or removed when not in use?

A rear mount skid could be under the chipper tray and not impede operation, if the stars aligned.

If you're going to haul that much weight, you would much better afford a dual axle, than a blow-out on the highway with a single. I'd say, well worth it. Plus, you're going to be adding 2500 pounds (at least, machine, attachment(s), chain and binders or straps, extra structural steel to the trailer weight, etc). Eventually, you may want a mini-mounted grinder (something like 500 pounds--guestamating). The extra trailer brakes on the second axle is another measure of safety. It will track better than a single axle.

I wish I got mulch buckets (whatever their called) instead of a loader bucket.They handle with chip mulch, rakings, gravel, etc. Having a bucket was nice for graveling and grading my driveway with a load of gravel, and dealing with a clay mud pit at a cottonwood job. Each has their place, just wish I had the scoops first.

Sean, Thanks for all the info/ideas. Sometimes dump/chip onsite, sometimes I can find a place close(free woodchip ads on craigslist has helped with that), but sometimes it can be a ways to dump. My chip box is just short of 5 feet tall, so I will have to do some figuring to be sure I can even load it in there. $1200 for ramps! I might have to carve some planks :) My chipper is an old olathe, and I really hate to lengthen it, as it is very maneuverable in some situations, but I will if I have to. Another long term goal for me is to get a 12-14k trailer, and I was thinking for bigger jobs I could just load the chipper and mini on that. I found an interesting thread on another site where a guy was chipping into bags and loading the bags onto the back of his flatbed truck...that seems like a cool idea, as I could do away with my tank-of-a-chip box :)

Here are a couple pics of my setup: This was my old chip box :)
971538_10151724846339844_375530045_n.jpg

And my new one:
10645195_10152716492829844_3848677774324750557_n.jpg

It is nice to be able to maneuver around on some jobs with this setup, so that is why I am reluctant to lengthen the chipper. I can seriously jack knife it, and dump while hitched.

Do you deal with chips harboring insects that are problematic. Part of the story is to get people to want their own chips, which they can do themselves, or have you mulch their trees (mulch scoops or bucket).

Are you in a fire prone area where people would not want mulch rings?

With the BMG there is a hitch quick-pin attachment that slides into grapple, allowing you to put tow slugs on it. You'll be moving your chipper into place with it when you want, then back the truck up. You can chip into a pile at the tree. You can move a brush trailer with it (I do around the shop) and did on a big removal job with a trailer load of rakings that were better not to chip.

Maybe more worthwhile to move in the truck than put that money into an old chipper, unless you can do it yourself.

With the grapple on the mini, you can figure out the balance/ rock-over point. The operator handles/ controls are the high point on the machine. My rock over point is such that I still have 6" between the front of the controls and the rear of the truck, then drive forward with 1" vertical to spare. I can stand up going in and out during the rockover, and sometimes back it out to the rockover point Without me on it, then without moving the machine, climb on, rock it over, (if needed, drag the grapple along the ceiling of the box), then start moving again.

You will want very good traction on your ramps!. Here its much wetter and muddier, more often that there. There are cheaper ramps that will handle your weight and height. My load height is 42", if I recall. Things get exponentially shakier with a heavier machine, higher off the deck.

24-36" load height http://www.discountramps.com/skid-steer-ramps-hook-end/p/10-14-090-05-S/ under $700. For a lower load height and weight, you have a LOT more options, homemade or new/used purchase.

Is your box steel?

BrendonV build aluminum for his similar set-up, F350 IIRC. Have you seen the thread?

Given that setup I would get aluminum ramps to carry it in the the box on the truck. No point in sinking the time or money building a platform on that chipper, no offense intended. With a mini you'll be doing more work faster than ever... More money will bring a bigger chipper perhaps, it can be set up to move the mini if that's still what you want.

I am not a fan of a platform on a dump trailer. The purpose of a dump trailer is to haul material, the 4' platform is wasted space. Either load with enough room to load in the back or make the front 4' of wall removable and leave that space open if you can. Either way you end up with more bed room and that's the name of the game.

I don't mean to derail this thread from Cody's project..

Carl, I have a 16' PJ dump trailer 14.5k. If I were to build the platform, I would not cut anything out of the dump box. I would build the platform on the existing trailer tongue and then build a new trailer tongue. Only downside I see is it would be less maneuverable being longer, and carry 2500-3000#less. Am I not seeing this right?

Yeah, if you could deal with a 20' "bed" on your dump trailer, you might as well have a 20' dump body. Having a dump trailer with a platform makes no sense. You can haul a mini in the dump bed, you can't load/dump the platform.

Granted it's a popular idea, but I damn sure don't understand it... and I have a 20' dump trailer! Started out with a 16'.

LJ, What is the furthest you travel for a job, that if you left the mini would mean a wasted trip back to get it?

That may just answer why it makes no sense to you and others like the idea.

That is irrelevant to my thought process, but I'll try another way.

Hypothetical:
The 14' dump trailer with a 4' platform and a 18' dump trailer are the same overall length.
The 14' trailer has up to 14' for debris.
The 18' trailer has up to 18' for debris.
The 18' trailer loaded with 14' of debris and still carry the mini
The 18' trailer CAN carry more debris than the 14' trailer.
The 14' trailer will never carry more debris than the 18' trailer.

The only advantage the 14' trailer has is you can dump the trailer without unloading the machine.
The 18' has the advantage of carrying bigger loads and could still match the 14' on the last load of the day/job to carry the mini.

Just to clarify, I could carry a mini between the cab and gooseneck hitch and still carry 20' of debris. :P I'm actually thinking about an Avant instead of a mini, however. Also, my dump trailer carries my excavator and stump grinder as it is. If need be, my other truck can tow the flatbed and haul machinery, if it helps.

The advantages I had in mind for a platform on a dump trailer:

1. A log/round not spearing into my hypothetical mini loader. If nothing else a separate platform will keep the machine protected and in better shape.
2. The added safety and convenience of loading onto trailer height not truck bed height. In theory it's safer with less ramp length and weight. This thought occurs to me for newer employees, not an owner operator standpoint.

It's tough to do EVERYTHING with one truck set up that's for sure.

The 18' dump could have a partition in the front to keep the load separated. If you need the extra room remove it and load it down, if you're going to need to set aside room for the mini, install it.

Falling off either ramp will roll the machine, ask me how I knows (plural experiences)! :lol: Ramp weight could be a valid issue, but 10' aluminum ramps rated for a 3klb axle load are under 50lbs. My 14' ramps rated for 10klb axles are 105lbs each.

Back