Looking for opinions/suggestions about my first mini skid

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dang, I missed some funny stuff! You guys keep going :)

I have been meaning to post some updates on my dingo. I finished the platform, and bought a bmg from Carl...that thing is sweet! Made my own ramps from some laminated planks. Have been having trouble with it dying. It will run fine, then just die, like it is running out of gas. I took the fuel tank out, drained it, checked the lines and figured I would replace the plastic fuel pump, since it and probably had ethanol ran through it, and replaced the fuel filter. Anyhow, it was running fine and started acting up again yesterday :/ I am thinking that ethanol is the problem. I was advised to run some sea foam through it to see if it will clean the carb, but if it doesn't improve, I am going to take it to the guru.

On another note, the tracks are looking dicey, so I am going to order some. Rajan said that he has looked into the prowler tracks, so I was looking at them, but I see there are a lot of options. I am wondering if I can/should run wider tracks on it (current tracks are 6"), and what tread pattern would work best. I work on yards about 70% of the time, but also will be using it in forest settings as well.

Many thanks for ideas! BTW, I am going to make a video soon of my modifications to it.

Cody, check the electric fuel shut off valve in line from the tank to the pump. Pull it and blow it out. Had that happen with mine.. One little piece of fuel varnish or debris can get frustrating when it gets in there.

Cody, check the electric fuel shut off valve in line from the tank to the pump. Pull it and blow it out. Had that happen with mine.. One little piece of fuel varnish or debris can get frustrating when it gets in there.

Thanks pard. The only thing I have from the tank to the pump is the fuel filter. Maybe because I have a different model than you? Mine is the tx 420

I think there is an electric fuel shut off on the bottom of the carb bowl. Might be a good idea to take it off and clean the bowl out. Fixed my mower when I had that problem.

Cody, will it fire on either when it dies? That would rule out an ignition problem.
Yes it does. I dinked around with it a bunch today, and pretty much narrowed it down to a carb issue...I think?

I think there is an electric fuel shut off on the bottom of the carb bowl. Might be a good idea to take it off and clean the bowl out. Fixed my mower when I had that problem.
Going to take the carb off Monday to mess with it. My Neighbor suggested cleaning out the bowl on the carb, so that sounds like great advise. If it is beyond that, like a carb rebuild, I will probably have someone who knows what the hell they are doing, do it. Makes sense if it is the carb, as being a rental, I am sure that most of the folks who rented it filled it with crappy ethanol gas. Hopefully I can get it squared away so I can get to work with it.

Many thanks for the input you guys!

Might have a big slug of water in the bottom of the bowl. Gets at the right angle and tries to draw it up.

Had a similar issue with my log splitter this year.

I will report back...hopefully good news. Many thanks to you guys for your input :)

So, I took my carb apart yesterday, and cleaned it, especially where the electronic gizmo goes in, cleaned everything, as well as I knew how, but to no avail :( I think it has something to do with that electronic gizmo though, because when I am cranking the engine, on full throttle, I can see fuel pouring into the carb, but as soon as the engine fires, the fuel stops? It is either that, or maybe something to do with vacuum pressure, as the fuel pump is operated by it...although when I took the fuel line off, coming from the pump to the carb and held it over the top of the carb, so that it is just dumping fuel straight down the throat of the carb, it stays running...ideas? I am going to see if my neighbor can come over and help me with it...

Did you test the cut off switch on the fuel bowl while carb was out?

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

Did you test the cut off switch on the fuel bowl while carb was out?

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

That was the problem...bad wire to that switch...she's running now :)

Thanks again guys. You would think I would have thought to test it anyhow...my neighbor was there about 5 minutes and suggested it :)

Yes they are, especially with a bmg mounted to them :) Now I just have to figure out what tracks to order for it...any suggestions? Does anybody know if I can mount wider tracks on it for more floatation? Also, I was looking on the prowler track website and I see they have a variety of patterns. It looks like some are more aggressive, and some are more turf friendly. I did a search of treeguy suggestions, and didn't come up with much...the diamondbacks seem to be more turf friendly, but I am not even sure what I need. Most of my clients are not too concerned about their yards, but there are a few. I guess percentage wise I work in pristine yards 10% of the time, so I will have to get some plywood, but probably 40% of the time I work in driveways, pavement or concrete, and in a woods setting. I am waiting right now for another hard freeze to come so I can schedule a few jobs accordingly.

Seems like alturamats during a sale are a consideration. Plywood gets slick. Maybe less concern in your neck of the woods.

Back