logging pics

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
another punkin right below the yarder
a 7 tuck on the skyline
an old yarder set up in scott valley, calif

Did you guys weigh the trucks, or calculate the load by the diameter of the wood? Or just eyeball it?

tree lengths being dragged through the "blue ox" de-limber
someone feeding skyline back through the top sheave
and my last job running yarder, sending a saw down

theres air scales under the bunks on the trucks. the drivers know how much weight they can put on each bunk to be legal but maximise their load. some times at the end of a load theyll have the loader move a log forward or back, or throw a small one here or there

on that last truck pic you can see just above the red light on the left a little pancake looking thing, that the scal on that side, theres another on the other side of the bunk to

Engineer is pretty sweet compared with running the hillside eh. I was trained to run the yarder but rarely got to do it.:(

Real nice thread. Wish there were more resources for logging histort on film.

Engineer is pretty sweet compared with running the hillside eh. I was trained to run the yarder but rarely got to do it.:(

i got so sick of it, i wanted to set chokers:|: its the one machine you cant get off of, if the guys blew a whistle, something had to happen. i was getting fat on that thing. once in awhile id get the side rod to spare me but that was rare

Nice pictures Willie, and some nice trees too. I'm impressed with the ground the Timco was working on. It would scare the heck out of me to be on a machine on that steep of ground. Ever hear the sound a Cat makes when it loses its brakes on ground like that. You can hear it for miles.

They call'em "Bull Pricks" and Shot Gun yarding. The motor-carraiges are so much nicer.

very cool site mangoes! did you guys see the pic where 2 guys are unloading logs with cant hooks? looks a little treacherous!
yeah jerry, thats the setup:D
ive heard cats sliding down rocky hills, is that what you mean?

every day is treacherous on a yarding crew:D
we only ran 1 guy line, when that broke on a hard pull you could hold onto the seat with no hands:D

every day is treacherous on a yarding crew:D
we only ran 1 guy line, when that broke on a hard pull you could hold onto the seat with no hands:D

One guy line on the yarder? That's crazy we ran four. You know it on the danger nothing like working a intermediate road and hearing that crackle over the radio 'RUNAWAY' and then waiting for death from above to come flying over the ridge. I will always maintain I'm one lucky SOB!

the 188 had 3 but the 3 599 americans had 1 each!
you can just see it in the 4th pic on page 1

the 188 had 3 but the 3 599 americans had 1 each!

Holy cow, better hope you got a strong stump! Those must be heavy (duty)machines.

On the runaways with limited vis, we'd be getting the play by play as we were running for our lives 'straight down, no it's going your left, no your right, no' run for the nearest big stump and dig in! Next best to the runaways was having a line come apart, we had our skyline let loose a couple of times under load all I can say is 'WOW'.

you can just see it in the 4th pic on page 1

I see your one guyline now, I still think that's nuts! We had two skyleads and the older one had 3 and the newer one had 4. Did you guys 'wrap' a stump to use two? Or just one stump? And when you say 'broke' you mean pull the stump? We never once broke an actual guyline.

no detailed instructions on our crew, id blow a long whistle as i was kicking the brakes loose!
a skyline parting is wild but that 188 was down right scary. i watched it snake straight up in the air once! also ran across it while it was slack and got flipped into the air by my foot when i was 18.

Back