What's the Definition Of "Doth" In A Logging Context?

lxskllr

Treehouser
As in "All grades accepted! No discounts for rot & doth!". I bought some cedar oil, and was looking over the company page, and clicked on the buying logs link. One branch was more selective with grade, and the other branch with the above statement takes everything.

edit:
The page...

Never heard the term out here in the PNW logging market. Not to say it's not currently there...been retired from that scene for close to 10 years now.

I wonder if they really meant "duff" and someone putting the page together did not know what duff is???

Duff: Partially to fully decomposed organic material between the Litter-Lichen-Moss (LLM) stratum and mineral soil. Duff is described in two layers: an upper (Fermentation) layer and a lower (Humus) layer.

That's for you freakin' loggers to figure out...I'm just playing with words. Don't know SQUAT about logs.

Geez, I just learned a boat load about duff, had no idea, thanks, Gary !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If an answer doesn't appear here, I'll give them a call next week. I'll register my official guess of "doth" being small attached branches and greenery. Knowing the nature of their business, they can probably use the whole tree, and elsewhere they say they do...

At Giles and Kendall we employ a sustainable process that minimally impacts the environment. We harvest only carefully selected trees that have fully matured, since only mature trees have the properties required for our quality products. Consequently, we are careful to avoid harming other younger trees when we harvest because we are conscious of our environmental impact. Additionally, much of the harvesting is done by hand thus preserving traditional land-use practices. Furthermore, we use the entire tree to make our wood products and Virginiana Cedarwood oil. Nothing goes to waste. Even the bark serves a purpose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got a reply back. I sent an email last night cause I kept forgetting to call during business hours...

Johnz,
Doth is just another term for rot. Darkening and softening of portions of the heartwood of cedar trees. It becomes a problem for lumber makers but not for cedar oil producers.
I'm not completely happy with the answer, cause it translates to "No discount for rot and rot". I'm guessing "doth" is a milder form of rot, where it doesn't look bad by eye, but a knife would show the problem. Rot should cover the whole thing though. Perhaps it's a localism.

We used to, back in the old days, have a "nail fast" definition.
Meaning that it was rotten, but would hold a nail in place.

Was somewhere in between " milling quality" and " Particle board quality".

There have been a lot of weird definitions around in the 43 years, I've been cutting.

Back