Lil' helper cart

I designed it. Copied various models and applied my own experience. Dave Nordgard bought the first units from me, then I gave him full permission to copy the design and improve it further.

I think it was Squish. There was a difficulty in getting them licensed to use the New River / Sandvik cutting system in the US, so Dave fitted greenteeth. IMO the sandvik system was noticably superior.

Mick, I've done what you said in the past, and lost my shirt badly. It's why I went back to tree cutting. I might yet build another stumpgrinder though, and a super compact chipper. Watch this space.

I heard an inventor speak that had dozens or pushing towards a hundred inventions to his credit. He would be pulling for you to invent Ed. We need your ideas.

He would come up with a functioning model and sell to a company that specialized in that type of product. So...far less financial risk to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I think I decided what to get. Whatever I get ( mini or skid steer or grinder and cart) I'm gonna need a bigger trailer and it's gonna be a dump trailer. If the newer mini's can lift 1000lbs and move quickly then it sounds like that's what I need. So I'm looking for the trailer now and we'll see about the mini at the end of the season or beginning of next season. So now I'll ask you guys what size trailers you like. I was thinking a 14'.

I love my 14 foot.. well behaved and I can do some good sized wood and still get the mini on it. Although, there are times I want bigger. All depends on what pulls the load. My 10 foot dump works great behind even my lighter truck and holds the mini fine. Just can't haul much with it in there. And it's short enough to get in tighter places. Light enough for the mini to move into tight places.
The 12 foot goosey needs the heavier truck. Heavy bugger. Hauls a lot of stuff though. Rated for more etc. I need at least an F550 if I go bigger on a dump though. 14 is a flat deck.I would probably prefer a 16 - 20 flat deck.

Page, my boxer 532 dx has 1050 pounds for 50% tip capacity, Rajan's Vermeer probably is greater than that. BMGs are 200 pounds +/-. Forks give greater capacity. Stephen uses them for millable logs. A "tag axle" like an Arbor Trolley, or custom-built, makes a huge addition to your capacity.

A trailer over 10,000 pounds requires a Class A CDL.

FWIW.

This was about an average load for the flat bed 14 foot with the mini. Forks stacked it. I can lift about 800# with the Dingo max. Takes two guys standing on it to put 1000 on the trailer.
I need to make it with pockets for stakes so I can go higher. This trailer should be able to haul almost 14 k... Shhhhh... :/: Safer with 8-10 though ;)

Attachments

• Load.jpg
    Load.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 76
Here is Dales trailer. Well thought out. 16 foot dump he has sides for. Take sides off, log trailer with stakes. He is still plying with different door ideas and such. But quite versitile.

Attachments

• tmp_32067-20160517_153047-1048798740.jpg
    tmp_32067-20160517_153047-1048798740.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 60
  • tmp_32067-20160517_153108-1721385914.jpg
    tmp_32067-20160517_153108-1721385914.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 64
  • tmp_32067-20160517_1531261768116275.jpg
    tmp_32067-20160517_1531261768116275.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 62
Page, as always FWIW, and market dependent, having a smaller trailer that a machine can move (currently I carry my mini on a 5x8 with the grapple, or in my chip bed), can help a lot on big properties, as you can move all the gear you need in one shot with the machine, instead of many, many trips by hand.

Also, its good for dirty rakings and stuff that need to go to the dump. I removed three large trees in a backyard. Filled many cubic yards of dirty rakings into the trailer, rather than having to take it out to the road in cans/ tarps.

Also, you can load wood into it directly, where you might not be able to take a big, heavy dump trailer. If you have friends wanting wood, you don't have to manually unload it, just take it to their place and park it. Especially, if you can get them to bring the trailer to the jobsite, and from the jobsite, saving you driving.

Also, I can put a full sheet of plywood on my loader arms and grapple to carry plywood for a plywood roadway, or put lots of gear on the top of the plywood to save lots of trips with gear, if the access if flat enough.

We have a lot of 5 acre parcels here, so that can save a lot of trips.

BMGs come with the L-bracket now, I believe, for inserting a tow slug. I don't care for the round tube that goes into the grapple. I don't know why its not square. I stabilize it with the grapples' tines.

I was not using it that much any more and sold it to another tree guy I sub for occasionally so burrowing/renting it is still an option. I think the last time used it was over a year ago.
Plus I have to put in a driveway so the extra cash helped.

Back