Lanyards?

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
I know basic stuff.

I'm still using a 2in1 with a prussic for my lanyard(or a steel core flipline for spiking) :(.

What in your opinion is the ultimate lanyard set-up? rope, length, hardware and type of adjuster?

One thing I like is a 1-4 VT off your saddle to adjust the lenthe of the lanyard!

After you try this, you'll never go back to a rope grab!!!

This is Brians version of the VT and I've been using it ever since Ive seen it!

Attachments

• 1 over 4 VT.JPG
    1 over 4 VT.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 34
  • TreeRig.jpg
    TreeRig.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 36
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So me and HC are the only ones that use lanyards? C'mon here help a backwoods Canadian brother out would ya!:P

I'm leaning towards setting up a 7/16" line with one of my shiny new aluminum rope clips on one end, using a vt for an adjuster but I'm just wondering about the length. Best to leave it long just in case? Or make up a shorter and a longer so you can choose depending on the situation? If longer, how long? And what do y'all do with the extra length, daisy chain it? Little bag or what?

If I use the aluminum clip will a double or triple fishermans just end up getting hung up lots? Gotta be spliced? Or a better knot to use?

i use the petzl micro grab, 1/2" rope and 6-8 foot flip line. i hate long flip line tails. i keep a long wire core in the shop for big trees but rarely use it. often ill set a tie in high enough to where my regular flip line will work. whats a lanyard:P?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who uses non steel core as a flipline?:P

:lol:See now that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Do you prefer the mechanical adjuster due to pitch?

I use 10-11 mm line about 6-8 feet in length. HRC or Beeline tied into a short distel hitch, loaded onto a biner with a tending pulley. The fixed end has an aluminum snap.

130757-P5300867.JPG

Yes, courtesy of Nick. He spliced it and whipped it. I added the heat shrink to protect the whipping strands.

My next lanyard will be the Trango Cinch adjuster, Grizzly stitched Beeline combination as advertised in the latest Sherrill catalog.

CinchLanyCombo.jpg

Who uses non steel core as a flipline?:P

:lol:See now that's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Do you prefer the mechanical adjuster due to pitch?

rarely do i use a steel core. yes i hate fighting pitch and its never an issue to adjust mine, even when the flip line is sticking to the tree:D

I use a VT with a beeline prussic cord. I am currently using the 4-3 , but I would like to try the 4-1 like Hobby Climber has mentioned. I made my lanyard about 20 feet long, I know it sounds like a lot, but I wanted to try it out and I really haven't wanted to change. I use it as a second main line at times and it comes in really handy. Since 20 feet would be a lot of line dangling, I use 3 little 5mm rope prussics, so that way I have 4 loops of about 5 feet of rope at my side. If I need to take extra rope out I just slide the prussics down and give myself more line.

VT. Starts off about 15-17' long, gets shorter as life moves on.

Top, why stitched as opposed to a regular splice?

If there were no pitch in my world, I'd most assuredly be happiest with a lanyard constructed of 1/2" rope, adjusted with a distal hitch w/ a micro pulley slack tender. I like a long lanyard, gives more options. Even when I'm not working in large trees, I like one between 15 and 20 feet. Never liked an arrangement that creates a loop, so the tail of mine hangs free, terminated with a figure 8 or 9 knot. I like an aluminum snaphook for the throwing end.

But there IS pitch in my world, in abundance. So I frequently use a lanyard adjusted with a Petzl Micrograb on the rope lanyard, otherwise set up as above.

For spur climbing I favor a 5/8" cable core flipline adjusted with the Petzl Macrograb. Steel snaphook. I have one 12' and one 15'. If I need it I still have a couple of old school 3/4" manila cable core lanyards...18' and 24'. Adjust those with a becket hitch. Heavy...I seldom have to break those out since I got into SRT.

I double lanyard fairly frequently, so I might have two cable core lanyards on my harness, or two rope lanyards, or one of each. Since I change between lanyards often, I wouldn't find a permanent mount to the D ring useful, but it looks sweet for those that can use it.

First pic is distal adjusted, second with a Petzl rope grab.

Attachments

• Dcp_0868.Jpg
    Dcp_0868.Jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Dcp_0872.Jpg
    Dcp_0872.Jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 24
I prefer 1/2" threestrand for my lanyard-usually 14 feet long -rope snap on one end and a smallish biner (Mighty Mouse)with a 4/2 VT and a brass snap or keychain biner for a tender. -I daisy chain the tail on the ground and let it trail in the tree.

For takedowns, I use a 5/8" x 12' steel core Yale maxiflip with a Petzl Macrograb adjuster and twisted clevis to hold it at the correct angle. For pruning, I use a Arbormaster 15' with steel rope snap one end (I like the weight of steel snaps for throwing around large trunks or through foliage) and a Petzl micrograb adjuster, again with twisted clevis to hold it at the correct angle.

I stopped using a 2-in-1 lanyard when I figured out that my climbing line in the split tail system could work as my secondary flipline to help me get past branches while spur climbing. I didn't like the 2-in-1 because it had to be so much longer for the tail to be a useful length, which kept getting snagged in forks below me. I also didn't like how the hip prusik I used to adjust it with required 2 hands to lengthen or shorten, or how it refused to go over pitchy spots on the rope.

Top, why stitched as opposed to a regular splice?

Good question! Buy the cinch, let me know what snap you want and I'll splice one on that same rope for ya!!!

I was confused looking at your fly splice. I know I'd done one for you, but didn't remember the heat shrink...now it all is making sense.

I have 2 lanyards. One is 9' XTC with VT and slack tender. The other is 20' 3/8" Yale Yacht Braid with a Samson Ice Michoacan hitch and slack tender. Both spliced with snaps on the end.

I also put a dog leash snap on the back end so that I can keep the tail hung up on my harness. The long lanyard gets daisy chained then hooked to the harness. I un-daisy and re-daisy as I go.

love
nick

I have used a 24' manila three strand rope as a lanyard for doing large redwoods. It flips really nice.

Good question! Buy the cinch, let me know what snap you want and I'll splice one on that same rope for ya!!!

I was confused looking at your fly splice. I know I'd done one for you, but didn't remember the heat shrink...now it all is making sense.

I have 2 lanyards. One is 9' XTC with VT and slack tender. The other is 20' 3/8" Yale Yacht Braid with a Samson Ice Michoacan hitch and slack tender. Both spliced with snaps on the end.

I also put a dog leash snap on the back end so that I can keep the tail hung up on my harness. The long lanyard gets daisy chained then hooked to the harness. I un-daisy and re-daisy as I go.

love
nick

Im thinking the grizzly splice just because the Cinch could be pushed all the way up to the splice. With a standard splice, the rope diameter is thicker behind the splice and you couldn't push the adjuster right up to it (easily anyway).

Now I know what you are thinking. Why would you ever need to push the adjuster that close to the eye? I have my reasons, but I'll let you ponder on it to see if you can figure out why.

Well that could be one application.

Think of the lanyard being more than just a lanyard. Multi functional.

or, an adjustable length ascender strap, that could then be ascended itself right to the eye.

Back