Lanyards?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh yah and to me a flipline is for flipping up a tree (spiking). To me it becomes a lanyard when used for work positioning or as a second TIP.:P

tomatoe, tomato.:D

wire core flip lines are stiffer. They flip much better on larger stems than a rope one.
Ever tried to flip around a 5' or larger stem? Compare the two.

I'm setting up a length of Tachyon with a aluminum snap on one end(triple fishermans I'm not a splicer) and then gonna expirement with hitches for the adjuster. I haven't decided 100% on the overall length yet but will probably start long and see how that goes, easier to shorten than lengthen I figure. I'm gonna try a hitch as the adjuster and if it just gums right up I'll switch to a M.A. Poured most of yesterday and then I got into firewooding for the afternoon so hopefully today I'll get to mess around with it a bit.

no I mean to move around and lower off if needed...not as a laynard. A rope is a real handy thing if you gatta get the heck outta dodge:D

Oh yah ever since I got back into the trees(last couple of years) I've been climbing with a rope. Much mo betta! About a month or so ago I ran into one of my old bosses and was trying to explain to him how much better of ways there are to climb out there, but he wasn't hearing none of it. Same dude who taught me to unclip (the one flipline)to pass obstacles :|:. Dude is a psycho hope he never gets hurt.

I had come from a rockclimbing background before working trees and I remember asking right away why we don't use a rope atleast to rap down? Never did get a very good answer about why not but just told this is how we do it. Spike up, spike down. Don't get hurt cause ain't no one gonna rescue outta the tree let alone drag your sorry ass 1000' up a steep hillside to a landing that's probably 2hrs plus away from a hospital. Although if it were a serious injury there would've been a chopper waiting on the landing.

A couple of weeks ago I bought the ISC captive eye swivel for my lanyard. This is one sweet setup!

Attachments

• cr swivel eye 2.jpg
    cr swivel eye 2.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 114
whats the little section of stiched rope for on the biner itself?........

Tom I see you've used a thimble for tying onto your ropesnap. Do you feel this is important from a safety point of view (bend radius) or is there another reason you prefer it that way? Also wondering why people would choose a double over a triple fishermans for tying off?

Is that a Distel hitch? Also what type of hitch cord is that?

I read over at the buzz that Tom just took out the core of the rope, it's actually then end of the line with the stopper knot in the pic. Pretty good idea to keep it from dangling around.

This is a great thread...it reminds me of when I first discovered that other tree climbers existed out there...through the internet. I remember reading a lot of posts back then about DdRT climbing systems with this knot or that and trying to understand what was going on. I knew it was important because so much thought and passion seemed to go into the posts...much of it was way beyond me. This was the early 90's and I had finally made it to synthetic ropes and a 3 strand lanyard with simple snap on my own but still used a tautline...discovering the real tree saddle and a split tail climbing system from the internet was an incredible change in how I did things.

I came up like squisher...spike up until the tree was small enough to get your leather lineman's belt around it, unclip at each limb to pass it, no top rope/climb line to help get up. The other folks on my tree crew looked at me like I was nuts when I used a few plain oval carabiners from rockclimbing to rap down from a tree...I felt like I was a rebel or heretic sneaking rockclimbing gear into treework.

Reading these posts about different ways to set up a lanyard is good stuff...I still don't understand everything I am reading but I'm trying. Y'all keep it coming.

Tom D., looks like a good innovative rig there...thanks for posting.

I milked out a few inches of core from the black KMIII rope, cut off the core, milked the sheath back, hot cut the sheath and then stitched the eye. The eye is NOT a life support termination by any means!!! The blood knot is there as a stopper. My lanyard is about 20 feet long so I daisy chain the extra. Having the end on the biner instead of clipped back on a harness gear loop makes my left side setup pretty tidy.

The hitch cord is New England Tech Cord, 5k# breaking strength! The reason that I like it is that it is small diameter, Technora core, and pretty stiff so it springs open when used in a hitch. The recommended termination is a triple wrap scaffold hitch. The ends of the TC are finished like the KMIII above but I melt the ends of the sheath instead of sewing an eye.

Until a week or so ago I was using this with a non-swivel captive eye and it worked OK, but just OK. With the swivel eye it is soooo smooth!

Tom, do you feel uneasy with using the small diameter New England Tech Cord?
Just from looking at it, seems like I could cut it easily with my hand saw (by accident, of course)

I have used that tech cord for awhile.....shat is strong. They DQ'd it at the first comp I brought it too. I would ride it with confidence....have to watch the knots though, they will move a bit unless you set the shat outta them.

tom, why such a long laynard....20':O

Techcord has a technora core. I'm thinking you might not be able to cut it in one swipe with a hand saw. Anyone wanna try it?!

Make's a great lanyard hitch, but the thin polyester cover makes me think it might not be great for a climbing hitch.

love
nic,k

Nick, sounds like an excuse to stuff some in the tensile tester and hit it with the Zubat, eh?

I've never saw-tested TechCord but it sure gives my scissors and knives a test everytime that I cut it.

the small diameter is a consideration since there aren't a lot of fibers. I make sure that my Silky never gets near that hitch.

A long lanyard can become a second, short, rope in many circumstances. It adds negligible bulk or weight to my system and lots of flexibility.

A long lanyard can become a second, short, rope in many circumstances. It adds negligible bulk or weight to my system and lots of flexibility.

I agree. Often that extra bit can come in real handy when moving around. Often ALOT faster than re-rigging your climb line.

A word of caution: I know two people who have 'popped' off the end of a real long flip line because they did not tie a knot in the end. I guess thinking it was not necessary because it was not their main climbing line.

A word of caution: I know two people who have 'popped' off the end of a real long flip line because they did not tie a knot in the end. I guess thinking it was not necessary because it was not their main climbing line.

YUCK! I splice back splices into mine. Even if it isn't a primary, I hate the thought of slipping or swinging when you don't expect it. :\:

love
nick

I guess thinking it was not necessary because it was not their main climbing line.

Any rope that does not have an end on the ground has a stopper knot in it. This is supposed to be SOP isn't it? I guess not :cry:

My lanyard is no different than a short rope but I guess those other climbers weren't taught that or figured it out too late.

Back