Lanyards?

You answered the question to your entire point of why not to use that system. But to say that a Gibbs will not adjust is not accurate. Better to say, for you, the gibbs does not adjust under load.

As for using a gibbs for a climbing system, have you ever used variations on a doubled whipped tackle to ascend using DRT? Robert Phillips has come up with some effective and easy ways of doing this.
It just takes alot of climb line to do it.

I respect you alot Mike, you know a hell of alot, and you are very smart as well. I respect that in you.
It is just when someone says something doesn't work, and it actually does, well, maybe it is more accurate to say it doesn't work FOR YOU.

Thanks for the complements and if you can make the Gibbs work for you, great.

I read this tip on writing, something I'm admittedly not great at, that suggested not saying things like "I think..." or "It's my opinion that..." because you're writing the post, of course it's your opinion or what you think! LOL!

So when I say Gibbs aren't the best lanyard set up, that's y opinion, and again, I don't climb a lot of sappy evergreens. That said, a lot of guys use them and love them.

If you disagree with me, you're probably wrong (LOL!), but you don't need to preface it with a bunch of complements. Just let me have it. :evil:

Tom D's lanyard looks pretty sweet, but I bet that hitch grabs like a son of a gun. Also, why does it all look so new and unused? Get your lazy butt out into a tree!:P

Mind if I add two cents... I started with a 6 foot nylon web (non-adjustable) with snaps on each end , went next to 8 foot buckle adjust buckstrap , then the 2 in one 3 strand with prussik adjust , the way I climb now , on my left Dee is a stainless half twist clevis attached to an aluminum Gibbs with 12 foot 3 strand Dacron...backsplice on tail , eye spliced to a non- locking (old school) snap... on my right Dee on old High Vee split tail girthed to the Dee ...blakes hitch to a 10 foot 3 strand Dacron with a bend and whipping on the tail , eye spliced to another old school snap with the Gibbs on my left and the Blakes on the right I love the versatility

I see a couple different model Gibbs ascenders offered for sale. I've been using a Petzl, macrocender. After I purchased mine, they came out with the smaller microcender. Mine is petty darn bulky, and the Gibbs look more compact. The Petzl has few parts to it, which is cool. Don't know how that compares to the Gibbs.

But this thread is about lanyards and all my lanyards are always spliced at both ends. So the spliced eye would act as a stop. Regardless, I will never climb with a knot tied in the end of my rope.

Me neither. I use a long safety. If I am working toward its last 5' I will at that point tie a figure 8. To many times on a removal or heavy trim a knot in the end of a safety can be a hazard.

The differences between the Petzl Macrograb and the Gibbs flipline adjusters are pretty small. They are about the same size & weight (for steel or aluminum Gibbs). They both slide equally easily. The Petzl is slightly easier to repair if you ever cut the spring though. The Gibbs has a coil spring mounted in a plastic housing, which is a bitch to fix if you break it. If you don't ever break it though, you'd probably never notice the difference.

Hey Bounce good info ...Sherril reccomended aluminum for safety and steel for rigging is that good advice? also inhereted a used Gibbs from ski patrol (they changed our ascension system)....I think it may have been abused because when I was checking it at home the spring did snap in two ...can I fix it or do I ship it to Gubbs? thanks dude for any info...

thats how we do it, steel for rigging and aluminum is for life support. that way we never wonder if this is a rigging biner or not

That's a good idea for keeping your climbing and rigging gear separate, but both the aluminum and the steel Gibbs will start to cut your rope at the same load rating (I think around 2000 lbs, but not 100% sure). Technically the steel does have a higher "breaking" strength than the aluminum, but you can never reach this because it will cut the rope first.

Back