Knotless rigging

I think that's where a lot of ours come from. People have them as house plants, they do good, get bigger, then they plant them in the ground.

They are a real treat to climb.

One of my fave, Norfolk Pines...they can get a bit big over here.
I like the description of limb removal with slings Nick, you are right, sometimes it's an in between size, too big to throw, too small to rig individually, I've put that one away for the future, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 3
I have about a half dozen Norfolk pines in a row .They were around 65-70 feet when i moved here 15 years ago .Several are pushing 90 now . A tad over a foot at the base .

Same here - I use knotless rigging whenever I have to lower lots of small branches, so I can send 4-6 down at a time. I use 1" tubular nylon runners.

I use loop runners quite a bit. Rigging out smaller pine limbs. Keeps the rope from getting pitchy, well badly anyway. I bundle them up if we have a big enough LZ.

I have about a half dozen Norfolk pines in a row .They were around 65-70 feet when i moved here 15 years ago .Several are pushing 90 now . A tad over a foot at the base .

That's skinny for a 90' Norfolk!
Butch, NP's are ok to work, the sap doesn't seem to come out too quickly, you can get them done before it gets horrible!
Yeah I know...DERAIL! sorry

I didn't know the Norfolk Pine would grow this far up north. You would think you would see more of them.

I doubt they are Norfolks. They barely grow here in central Florida due to freezes every few years and I suspect Ohio winters are a tad colder than here.

So, Norfolk Pines are not from Norfolk Virginia?:lol: Honestly, anyone know what they are named after. My grandfather back in FL always made me move them into the garage when we had freezes in Jacksonville. Big pot and about a 15 foot tree.:cry:

norfolk island ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_heterophylla
Norfolk%20Island.gif

That is what I thought the correct name was, untill I read y'all calling them just "Norfolk pines"

I dunno then what kind of pine it is .To me a pine is just something with needles on it but somebody told me Norfolk so that's what I assumed .

Attachments

• Copy of Hobart 004.jpg
    Copy of Hobart 004.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 5
You probably misheard.

That is a Norway spruce Picea abies

As far as I can tell from the picture anyway.

Corrected.

Normally I screw up pine and fir, since fyr is the name for pine in Danish.

This one was new!

Thanks for pointing it out.

Probabley spruce no doubt .Odd though because several years ago because of two extremely wet springs we had an invasion of what they called spruce canker .It affected my blue spruce and several other varieties but never did a thing to those taller ones .I saved most of the others but that's a different story all together .

Loop runners and snap on biners are a large part of my rigging for bundling limbs in conifers. Jerry B has been doing that for years. Picked it up from him and been doing it for almost eight nine years now. I will use a half hitch or marl to send down multiple limbs on a smaller trees. Quick and easy.

Back