What hard hat for..?

I've got pretty long hair right now, and my petzl vertex works for me. I wear a it in a bun high on my head, and it all fits between the suspension straps. You can fit a lot of hair up like this, but only with a suspension helmet

I’ve got a proper Barnet on me. I wear a Petzl Alveo or when I need coms, one of the guys has a spare Power Ranger lid (Pfanner). Both fit ok, although the Power ranger outfit does give me a headache.

I wear my Barnet tied back though and not on top.

Long hair can be a serious safety issue.
Old boss kept hammering a guy to either get his hair cut or manage it somehow. He finally complied after, whilst on scaffolding, in a commercial building about two stories up, drilling holes for hanging pipe with a 1/2 right angle drill; his hair got sucked over and wrapped around the chuck and bit. Pulled 1/2 his hair out by the roots. Imagine, if you will, what achainsaw following it could do.
Know a climber that had to wear a chain on his neck with asentimental pendant his wife gave him. He moved suddenly taking a top and the chain wagged over into the chainsaw. That walked right up to his neck and bit it. Lived, bu t still has a good scar.

Who would have thought on a discussion board with two girls and the hair dilemmas are all about the boys! :lol:

Did I ever mention the time I lost a bobble up a tree. I didn’t realise I was having such a hair dilemma until I thought a squirrel was on my shoulder.

Freaked me right out. The ground guys were in stitches. 🤪🤪

Last edited:
Far back in the days of an earlier and certainly now long gone version of the TreeHouse, I recounted a story about a co-worker and his unfortunate experience with a long and bushy beard, and a figure 8 rappel device.

It was not pretty, and could have been fatal, if clearing his beard from the rap had not gone well. Consider...cutting yourself free from a heavily tensioned rappel rope, where you cannot see what you are doing, with your extremely sharp knife. As I recall, ever after he climbed with a pair of blunt nosed bandage scissors buttoned into his shirt pocket.

Keep long hair and beards under tight control, my friends...it seems a long shot type of accident, but it has happened.

That fellow climber never was able to grow beard from a patch on his lower right cheek, after it was pulled out with some meat attached, in that event. That was only a small portion of his beard that was engaged in the figure 8.

He was a stand up guy...but he was screaming like a little girl all during that badness. It clearly was painful in the extreme.

I haven't thought about this accident in quite a while...the remembering gives me chills. It seems like a minor thing, but at the time, I was trying to figure out how I could get up there to help him. He was hanging on a single rope 100 feet off the ground, rappeling, locked up tight with the 8 against the side of his head near his ear. It was not a pretty situation.

Last edited:
I'm still thinking of the pics they showed us of stuff getting caught in a lathe or mill..... I've seen some close ones with a grinder too. It's usually the drawstrings from a hoodie that get people with those.

My machinery tutor at College had a badly withered and twisted arm...he had got it caught in a PTO shaft than was not guarded...yeah, I always look at PTOs with him in mind.

When I was at college 20 years ago there was a girl in the class. Only female doing trees and the Marketing team at the college got really excited and wanted her in all the photos. She wasn't a great climber but insisted on being in a harness hanging above us all standing on the ground holding chainsaws.
She had very long hair which she hadn't tied back and it got caught in her prussick. She couldn't go up or down and in the end had to cut her hair with a pruning saw which obviously we found hilarious.

Sadly I think the days of me getting hair caught in anything are long gone

Who would have thought on a discussion board with two girls and the hair dilemmas are all about the boys! :lol:
Lets take it one step farther shall we.

What kind of conditioner do you guys, and I mean boys, use?
How do you deal with split ends?
What is your preferred shampoo?
Any tips you guys, and I mean boys, can share with the only two women here in The House?
:lol::P

I like pine tar soap, but I haven't gotten it in awhile. There's a local company that makes soaps with a lots of woodsy fragrances I like. It's expensive when compared to commodity soap, but soap lasts long enough it's a trivial luxury.

Back