killer snag from worksafe BC

I'm telling ya westcoast logging and falling is some dangerous shit. Pretty much constantly, and it's only getting worse as the cream was skimmed long ago, then the rest of the cup was emptied, and now we're scraping at the grinds stuck to the bottom. All while big business is desperately trying to 'enhance' their profitability.

Preaching to the choir here. :)

The only thing a hand faller gets called for is the shit a machine can't reach.

Or, fortunately for me, the shit that is too big for machines.

Or, fortunately for me, the shit that is too big for machines.

The only thing a hand faller gets called for is the shit a machine can't reach.

My life when I'm not climbing. Wears thin some days when I turn up fell the remnants on a machine site. Last Tuesday started with a half mile walk carrying my kit, a 660 & a 441 along the waterlogged forwarder ruts. Not the best start to a hard day

Pete, I miss my quad for such work. I would buy another if I did more of it. More climbing around houses these days for me. There are days I want to go hike in pack and saw. Getting older, I don't appreciate hiking as much :lol:

Pete, we don't do remains on a machine site.
The few times I've been asked to do it, my reply has been, that if they think machines are so much better and cheaper, let them finish it up.

I will do it if a machine operator that I have a working relationship with ( That is 2 of them) calls me, but not if a forester does.

Last time I was called by a State foretser for that, I told him that since he never had the idea to call me for a cubic meter price on felling the stand, to see if maybe we could beat the harvester ( Which we can, if the trees are big enough) why should I help him out with the trees that bogged the harvester down.
It worked.
Next time they were clear cutting a stand of timber that size, he asked me for a quote.
Then it all blew down in a major storm, so they had to call us in to cut it free fir the harvester to work it, anyway.
But it still worked.
I refuse to just roll over and play dead for the frigging harvesters.

The guy who owns the machine gives me the majority of cutting work Stig & cut by hand for 25 years before buying the machine. This kind of work is on a day rate & he understands that production is not comparable.

Love the idea of the quad Stephen, but the ruts left by this would be quite a challenge to drive through :lol:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 25
Back