Job Listing and Response

Old Monkey

Treehouser
I just posted this on Craig's List this morning:

Boise tree service looking for part time ground help. There is a possibility of going to full time as work necessitates. No prior experience necessary. The work is hard physical work and its done in all sorts of weather. We're looking for a hard worker who is prompt, reliable, self motivated and presents themselves well. Folks with aptitude will be taught to climb and prune trees with safety gear. We're a small company with a good reputation in our industry and with the public. In our hiring we strive to maintain a friendly and polite workforce. CLEAN DMV and RELIABLE transportation are required. Initial contact will be with email. Select candidates will receive phone interviews, then one on one interviews, followed by a trial work period. Pay starts at 10/ hour. Work is weekdays between 8am and 6pm. There is occasional weekend work during storm clean-up but it is not the rule.

I just got this email which I enjoy:

"I would love to help you out! I just got back to Boise from a month of wildland fire work. I did some swamping, chipping, chainsaw work, and maitenance. I am no expert, but loved the work. I also have done a bit of rock climbing in my early 20's (I am 34 and in decent shape), so I have a basic understanding of anchor points, belaying, and the importance of safety. I have been a carpenter for many years, and have always worked outdoors, and in ALL types of weather. I am clean cut, fairly articulate, and well mannered. I like coffee, women, and a cold beer after a days work. I don't have a drug habbit to support, but I do have a couple kids that are just as expensive. Wow, I think I just compared my kids to a drug habbit?! Anyway, if your still looking for a good hand get in touch."

I have a notorious past for getting myself in trouble on job interviews with my bad sense of humor and see a little of me in that response.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I noticed the misspellings and the inference that he is not with the mother of his kids. Neither are necessarily a game changer. He got a second email and I'll probably have him come in this week. I have an employee I like that is on two strikes and may have to be fired soon and I'd prefer to have a replacement in place already. My guys are getting too comfortable and need to see that I will really fire someone. Grrr. Are you feeling the meanness? Catching my authority figure vibe?

Nope, I still see a smiling female ape!

The guy has a fine sense of humour. I always tell prospective apprentices that if they have no sense of humour, they won't last long in our crew. We constantly make fun of each other and everything else.

I would definitely give him a trial, older guys with a GSH usually work out well in my experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice that you can pick out the genders of apes from head shots Stig. Your right but I'll still keep her smiling mug.

I always tell prospective apprentices that if they have no sense of humour, they won't last long in our crew. We constantly make fun of each other and everything else.

I often tell new guys that as well, ew harass each other non stop

Thoroughly excellent help wanted ad, very impressive and well put together.

The guy sounds definetly promising to me, and guys with kids to support have that incentive to be reliable.

Is 10 bucks/hr the norm out there for starting? I start guys with no experience at 12$ and hope to raise them quickly from there. 12$ seems to be the norm here for laborers but many if not most companies pay their guys who are obviously employees as subs, which saves money for everyone but the government

Stig is definitely a well rounded individual. I'm not referring to his figure either:lol:

I wanted to compliment Stig on his proper use of the word gazillion but I can't find the thread.

OM you are getting pretty mean in your old age. Love the built in sun visor btw.

I just seriously hope that when he doesn't show up on Wednesday, it isn't because he is already there....being Darin himself replying to his own ad. Still, probably the nicest couple of guy that you might ever want to meet. :/:

I think the guy warrants an interview at least and maybe even a week trial. He sounds good on paper so put the screws to him and test his metal.

Back