Job done today...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Burnham, I guess even my chainsaw boots wouldn't prevent a puncture from a gaff.
I always appreciate safety tips...just because I've never felt I've come close to tripping I can realize what you are saying. A few seconds to take them off, and put them back on could save ages of grief!
Aye, aye captain!!

I'm sporting whatever came with the set when I got them...they are pretty long...

Just a few days ago, I told a guy to maybe take off his gaffs when he was walking around in them. He told me that he had enough other stuff to think about. It doesn't work without Burnham's authority. :(

Love it...long distance safety seminars...
You can be sure mine will be coming off in the future, Burnam's suggestions carry a lot of weight with me!

Now I wonder what he'll say about my felling while standing on a load of old branches that are in turn perched and stuck on top of vines and dead tree limbs and stuff about 6' off the ground....I was wearing my chaps though!

Post #40

...They decided to take the third tree so they'd never have to worry about it again! One already fell and almost struck their house 60' away, and the neighbours are a LOT closer than that.

They are going to replant the area with something more suitable in size and for the exposure...

Also, originally they asked me to just cut it in half...eek!
With the other trees gone, the third one would be much more exposed, the house is right on top of a hill and exposed to the northerly winter gales, south westerly summer winds and whatever direction and hurricane decided to come! So removal of tree= peace of mind.

Love it...long distance safety seminars...
You can be sure mine will be coming off in the future, Burnam's suggestions carry a lot of weight with me!

Now I wonder what he'll say about my felling while standing on a load of old branches that are in turn perched and stuck on top of vines and dead tree limbs and stuff about 6' off the ground....I was wearing my chaps though!

:lol:
Might be that some of the pics or threads I've posted of me falling trees in...shall we say, less than ideal circumstances?...came before you joined us, Fiona. Be assured, I've been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Sometimes you have little choice. But it really is a better idea to spend some time to clear a safe working spot and a decent escape path...we all know we should, and sometimes it can actually save time in the long run.

But there will be situations where nothing can be done. I've felled trees on cliff faces, or dancing on top of several blowdown stems around a root-sprung leaner, or in deep snow, or...well, those are the times when you tell the less experienced cutters, "don't try this at home!". :)

I thought I'd just let you two heretics know that it says in the users manual that I got with my new 660 that you should never use a chainsaw when standing on an unstable surface.

If you continue this outrageous going against the accepted dogma, the Stihl corporation may have you burned at the stake.

Can you make print so tiny that a lawyer cannot see it?

I thought I'd just let you two heretics know that it says in the users manual that I got with my new 660 that you should never use a chainsaw when standing on an unstable surface.

If you continue this outrageous going against the accepted dogma, the Stihl corporation may have you burned at the stake.

:lol::lol: What the eye doesn't see, the Stihl Corporation shall never know about!
Err, does it count if you use a 260 pro though?
If my buddy ever sends me the picture, I'll put it up

Back