Jerry and Terri Update

gf beranek

Old Schooler
Been a while since I posted any pics of our happenings here on the coast. So here's a few scenes taking during the last couple of weeks.

Attachments

• ocean 1.jpg
    ocean 1.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 3 in a row.jpg
    3 in a row.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 5
  • big sorral.jpg
    big sorral.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 6
  • flat iron.jpg
    flat iron.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 6
  • ralph sterns.jpg
    ralph sterns.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 5
  • find terri.jpg
    find terri.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 19
Great interesting pics, as usual, thanks! You guys always look young compared to those trees.
Beautiful sea coast.

Your tree pic always blow me away! Thanks for sharing!

HC

Nice pics of the giants and the beautiful Redwood Sorrel. Funny, just today a coworker asked me how to get some red mulch. I told him either he’d have to buy it dyed or find himself some Redwood mulch. His eyes bulged in disbelief as if I was speaking blasphemy. I told him Redwoods can be properly harvested just like any other tree. In fact, as shade-intolerant species that grow best in even aged stands, they should be clear-cutted. He about had a coronary.

Every living thing on this planet has a live expectancy .The big coastal redwoods maybe 1500 -2000 thousand years .The big oaks in this area 200-300 years .If they die on the vine and not get put to good use why was it here to begin with ? We have to be stewardly about these things .

Proper forest management should provide a lasting never decreasing supply of raw materials forever if done in a timely fashion .

We? I understand we have more timber now than when Colombus landed :drink: Don't really know if that rainforest stuff is true or not...

The cutting of the giants is not without controversy .Clear cutting also has many nay sayers .

The clear cut works great for the timber harvest on the western slopes .Not so here in the heart land though .These hardwoods are selectively cut in cycles of 20 or so years .

My relatives in the central portion of the state for example have about 800 plus acres of prime timber which has been harvested over the last 200 years and it is still productive .At the rate it's going it will never be depleted .

No doubt certain portions of the western giants need to be set aside but I believe if a tree is in imminent danger of dying that it should be harvested while there is some good left in it . Why not harvest the cripples and let the healthy ones grow larger .My thoughts for what it's worth .

Great pictures as usual,Jerry. They really make me look forward to getting out to the west coast again.

No doubt certain portions of the western giants need to be set aside but I believe if a tree is in imminent danger of dying that it should be harvested while there is some good left in it . Why not harvest the cripples and let the healthy ones grow larger .My thoughts for what it's worth .

We often leave the dead and rotten stems, as it provides a huge amount of valuable habitat and enviroment for a range of wildlife.

I hear you on the hardwoods though Al - if managed properly, they will provide a sustainable source of timber indefinately

What's odd from the opinion of an old sailor about the Pacific .I've seen the sun rise on it from the other side of the world but never seen the sun set from these shores .Some day ,maybe .

Well, talking of clear-cutting Redwoods, I did qualify my statement later to the guy and explained that I meant clear-cutting in a patchwork, quilt-like fashion, not just cutting a wide swath of them for miles. Of course we should preserve areas of mature Redwood forest for their beauty, grandeur and majesty. But I think other areas should be harvested for our benefit by clear-cutting them quilt style because you can't very easily, as a shade-intolerant species, selectively cut them like most hardwoods. An area that comprises both mature Redwood forest and regenerating clearcuts is far more biologically rich than an area of mature growth alone.

Last edited:
I don't want to get too into it on Jerry's thread but I wonder what percentage of redwood clearcut comes back in redwoods. I am guessing that fir trees take over and once you cut it down, most of it is gone.

Back