I've got a headache!!!!!!

sawinredneck

Treehouser
I just have to share this with all!!!!!

So my "buddy" after making an all night wood run, decides to go cut some more wood today.
He calls me tonight, around 8pm "I am going to need you're help soon!!!" Oh boy!!!!
Long story short, he and his "helper" dropped a large Oak, it got hung up in another tree, they tried to drop it, it got hung up as well. Third times the charm right? Nope!!! I now have three hangers, one with a chain stuck in it, that I have the great pleasure of trying to figure out, without geting killed, how to get down!!!!
Gee, aren't I special?:X

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
you are waiting for daylight right?

I am waiting for time period!!!!!

Ordinarily I could have run out after work, I am usually off at noon, and gone out to fix this mess. But I am now on second shift the next two weeks, noon to 8pm. Not much time for error!!! I am afraid itwill have to wait until next weekend. I sure hope there isn't anything that can get torn up in the way of these trees!!!!

Don't forget the beer, LOL!

Thanks for you're support:lol:

Stupid question time.

I have not seen this mess yet, so I have no real idea what he has done. I do know the area though. Heavily wooded with tall slender Oaks everywhere.
I am just thinking here, so be honest please.
Is this something that would be safer if I were tied into another tree and cutting from above, not having to worry about the trees falling or rolling on me?
Or is climbing just going to get me killed that much sooner?

Anything you can do from the ground is the smart play. Depends on how bad of a mess there is of course, hopefully you can get in make a few cuts get 'em down before they get too straight on you. Don't forget your friends, rope and block. That and a a rig to pull with you can have it on the ground in short order. Be safe.

Not seeing the situation firsthand, I would cautiously suggest not climbing any of the trees.

The first thing I would try is to cut most of the hinge off on the first one they cut and then try to roll it out towards the remaining hinge. A peavy or cant hook works well for this. This may be enough to bring the whole mess down. Check to see which way would be the best way to roll it out before cutting.

If that didn't work then completely sever the hinge and try "skidding" it out by the butt with a tractor or truck,etc. Remember mechanical advantage devices are you friend.

My last resort would be to start carefully cutting 5-6 foot logs off the bottom and spearing it down. Be careful as the tree will eventually come free and usually falls back towards you. I'd be real tentative about this because your escape routes are already limited with two other partially fallen trees.

Whatever method you use, don't work in these trees or under them. Shit can shift without any notice and come crashing down. Keep your head up and have someone else spotting(watching the tops for movement).

That's this loggers bag of tricks.:)

Got Dynamite?

Short of that.... There are some tricks for getting out of a pickle like this. Not knowing your skill set I would recommend methods that don't involve you being next to the tree when it comes down. A lot depends on whether a tree is still attached to the stump. Things are easier if it has already popped its holding wood and is on the ground. In that circumstance I would try kicking out the butt by putting a sideways face cut to one side or another(depends on the circumstances) and then cutting most of the back cut. Tie a rope above the face and back cuts and pull towards the back cut. If done correctly will cause the tree to settle down and twist off to one side. It might get it lose the first time or you might have to do it again.

If the tree is still connected to the stump, things are a little dicier. I prefer not to give advice on this scenario as it involves being there in person and assessing the situation.

Most importantly remember that if you are going to try anything hairbrained, you are required to film it for the amusement of others.

I suggest pulling them down with a 5:1 or a skid steer or something. Don't climb'em.

I wasn't going to climb them, I was thinking of tying into surounding trees and dropping down. But the more I think about it, the less it sounds like a good idea!!!

I like the dynamite idea a lot!!!! I am half tempted to run out and take pics before work, but it's a 45 min. drive each way!!
And I know wxactly what you are saying Darin, I haven't even seen the mess yet!! I may just take a couple gallons of gas and throw a match on the whole thing before it's over!

Whatever you do Andy, be safe. Make sure to take the extra time and brush out a couple or few good escape routes if you're in there making cuts. I know ya will anyways man. Good luck with er.

I am seeing lots of pics, and a possible video coming out of this mess!!
"The Redneck safety video!" (hows that for an oxymoron!!)
"What not to do, and how to save you're butt when you do it!"

Sounds like a great time, Andy. Take pictures for certain.

My only advice from this distance and lack of visuals is to take plenty of time to THINK before you pull that starter cord. Pick an option that keeps you at some remove from the wood if at all possible.

LMAO...

When I first read the title of the thread... i thought ya gots womped by widow maker or somethin'...

Be friggin' careful mang. If you have to step them down, watch for crap from above... it puts you in the danger zone a little longer than you would like, but sometimes it is your only option.

Make sure you use as much riggin' as you can to assist you in gettin' them on the ground.

Stay safe! :)

I don't wanna see your handle changed to "squashedredneck"...

Gary

And I thought the guy that did this to me was bad!!! Man, you guys are just mean!!!:)

I've lowered into multiple hung up tops to release them before... SCARY! It was windthrown and way more than I bargained for. Worst part was I was doing the lord's work... didn't get paid a nickel.
The residual unrelieved stresses in hung up tops are complex and hard to figure out... takes a LOT of time. Stuff breaks the wrong way at the wrong time, potential for aerial springpoles. It's not something I care to do again.

I've lowered into multiple hung up tops to release them before... SCARY! It was windthrown and way more than I bargained for. Worst part was I was doing the lord's work... didn't get paid a nickel.
The residual unrelieved stresses in hung up tops are complex and hard to figure out... takes a LOT of time. Stuff breaks the wrong way at the wrong time, potential for aerial springpoles. It's not something I care to do again.

And that right there tells me all I needed to know about that idea!!!

not to mention that if you free it up it may knock your tie in tree down or another tree down

Let me know when and were I'll bring the video camera.... Hell I'll even buy the beer....:/:

Let me know when and were I'll bring the video camera.... Hell I'll even buy the beer....:/:

It gets better!!!!!:whine:
It's on the curve leaving Leon to the west on the south side of the road. Just past the cemetery.
I hope to get out there this week and see the mess, MAYBE try and cut this weekend.

Back