ISC D4

Is there any big difference compared to a petzl RIG? They look a lot alike, even down to being able to leave it on a biner while loading it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The D4 slightly more user friendly than the RIG. But, not enough to have both ... and I already have the RIG. If I didn't, I'd get the D4 ... fer sher.

I think the isc would be better in the tree because you dont have to have both hands engaged. I want one! I think for rope access it would be great also.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ytVUyyGWMZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice vid, Nick! I want one!!!

Want that helmet, too! Alas ... when budget allows ... :(

Looking well decked out there, Nick. Nice vid. Couple of questions, the all steel cam, does it get hot or have use limits do to heat. At the very end you mention that the operation handle is plastic, is it?

David

It appears ISC did a nice job with this. They took the robust, burly design of the Spider couple that refinements of the good points of the Rig and I'd. The part I like is the higher load rating on descent/belay without the need for adding additional friction. It looks to be a good device for pick off lowers and rappels.

BTW @2.38 in the ISC Marketing vid, handle is stated to be "aluminium" (aka aluminum, for those that don't speak Brit) :D

Looking well decked out there, Nick. Nice vid. Couple of questions, the all steel cam, does it get hot or have use limits do to heat. At the very end you mention that the operation handle is plastic, is it?

David

You know the outside of the handle is definitely plastic, but it might be an aluminum frame inside. I will find out. I havent done any extremely LONG ascents, so havent had any issues with heat. I will check with ISC to be sure on all of those things though Dave.

Here it is straight from Wayne Ellis of ISC

"Whoever thinks the handle is made from aluminium wins the bet! We started with a plastic handle but it just didn’t stand up to the rigors of being used under heavy loads so we went to aluminium. It is coated in a special powder/paint that makes it slightly grippy.

Regarding temperature – the European Standard says that we cannot see more than 43 degrees (centigrade) on any part of the handle that can be touched during normal use. Yes it’s a bit vague and they mean the externals (side plates handle etc) not the internals eg the cam. The cam will get hot on a long run but not so hot that it melts the rope (although it is possible to see glazing on a long fast run with a heavy load). "

Here it is straight from Wayne Ellis of ISC
..." The cam will get hot on a long run but not so hot that it melts the rope (although it is possible to see glazing on a long fast run with a heavy load). "

I wonder how much and how they tested it to be able to make that statement as the contact patch doesn't look more than 4" and it's taking 100% of the load and rated for a two person load.

David

Back