ISA and TCIA call on National Geographic to remove “Big Bad Wood” from the air

802climber

TreeHouser
The International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and The Tree Care Industry Association (TCIA) recently wrote a letter to the National Geographic Channel requesting the removal of their “Big Bad Wood” program, due to its “dangerous and unprofessional depiction of commercial tree care operations.” ISA and TCIA express concern that “Big Bad Wood” glorifies unsafe, unprofessional conduct that would put lives at risk if used in the field.

“[ISA and TCIA] stand ready to assist [the National Geographic Channel] in creating a show that attracts ratings and showcases the skills and safety practices that members of our industry employ in the field every day,” the letter says.

The full letter can be read below.
http://www.isa-arbor.com/resources/Letter_Runnette.pdf

Now time for the Rest of the Story (apologies to Paul Harvey):
A link to a more interesting copy of that letter was recently posted on TreeBuzz. More interesting because it was on the TCIA's letterhead, and listed their Board of Directors, incl. Andrew Felix from Tree Tech Inc. (one of the tree companies featured on the show)!!! Takes nerve on the part of the TCIA to pull a stunt like that, unless they think both Nat Geo and their TCIA members are idiots.

I thought that was interesting too Dave. It is no wonder that Tree Tech was always shown in a positive light on the show.

I dunno how two seperate companies draft a joint letter, and then submit the identical letter on two seperate letterheads.
It seems a bit weird.
I wonder if this was done by the ISA / TCIA for purely "political correctness" brownie points.
I would be more impressed if they targeted municipalities whose Public Works depts. top trees to "make them safer", and I'd be floored if the ISA (Ontario Chapter) ever made the effort to respond to one of my email (member) inquiries. Even Santa Claus does better.
Never got to watch the Nat Geo series. Probably a helluva log more entertaining than most of the staged "reality" shows on TV.

that was a well-written letter. It is interesting that a broadcast network such as Nat Geo would even produce a show like this without thinking of consulting with any of the major tree industry associations prior to filming/airing the episodes.

Best of luck to putting this show on the right track to depict this profession as it should be seen. I look forward to seeing the progress.

-Michael

I agree that the show is garbage and gives tree guys a bad name, but hell, most shows are crap and are in no way depicting reality. what the hell can you do?

I wonder if the Tow Truck Guild of America has sent a similar letter about Lizard Lick and South Beach Tow?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mhN5EhufvgY?list=SP1613A928650D9BFA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vZwom2unxLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No season 2 for big bad wood. Nat geo didn't want a safe company, that doesn't make good tv at all watching a safe, efficient tree crew work(insert lots of sarcasm there) they wanted companies they could talk into staging all of that crap. The companies came out looking like idiots and Nat Geo just washed their hands of it and left them high and dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

left them high and dry.....and probably well compen$ated.
The experience won't have a negative impact on any of them. Nosak is still in business!

Id be more impressed if the ISA and TCIA lifted a finger to ensure their members and certified arbs practiced what they preached. No accountability at all. Members waiving their certs around like its a letter of reference from God himself, but doing whatever they can get away with to pay the bills. That's not a shot at all members and cert arbs. Its a shot at a good handfull of them, but more a shot at these organizations. The show would have failed on its own in due time. Those entities need to step up to the plate on what really counts. ISA logos on trucks that are parked alongside a topped tree with gaff marks up and down it is what they need to take a better look at.

Amen. I'm cert'd and would welcome the enforcement. I've got comp that advertise isa cert and topping in the same ad.

Back